1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

neutering age

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by jmorposmo, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jmorposmo

jmorposmo Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hiya everyone. Max is approaching 6 months, and I have heard many mixed things about the age of neutering. Could anyone who has good links to articles about the subject please point me in the proper direction to help us in our decision to either do it now, wait a bit, or wait longer. Thaaaaanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

There are several good articles listed within the puppy threads here on this subject. I'll see if I can find you a link

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

• Like Like x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't have additional studies to link but I can speak from experience a bit. We had Spock neutered at 9 months old. He will be 4 years old in 15 days and is very lanky, his muscle tone never fully developed and while he can do a deep threatening bark most of his are higher pitched. His temperament has been left wanting, too and the Schutzhund/IPO folks all think it is due to his early neutering. By wanting I mean he is a wuss. At his age he should have some defense drive but it is deeply buried and rarely surfaces on the training field making us wonder if push came to shove at home would he step up? Just a couple things to think about. Oh! And the early neutering did nothing for curbing his pushiness, his marking outside, or his mounting of his sister. Those are all issues that could only be handled by training and correction.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This was our experience with Boris as well when we had to have him done at 7 months. Keep in mind that he's at least 50% Euro bred so it sort of shows the difference. He was about 3.5 years in this pic.
    Standing by gate Feb 10 10.jpg

And Albert, who we waited to do until he was over 2 years. Him and Boris do share quite a few of the same lines, so you can see the difference, and Albert is only 2.5 years now so he still has plenty of filling out to do.
    Looking at Zeus Dec 27 13.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  7. watson123

watson123 Active Member

In my opinion 18-24+ months is best, my male is 21 months and is still intact and i have had hardly any problems with him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

18-24 months seems to be the time. The hormones are needed for bone and muscle growth.
    Some studies out seem to point out neutering/spaying early to curtail some cancers. But neutering/spaying too early raises the chances of some of the more aggressive type cancers. Responsible owners should wait. Some Vets our too pushy to Neuter/Spay.

Another thing to look into is not over vaccinating ever year for the Core Puppy Vaccines (Parvo, Distemper, and Adeno). Look up Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz protocols on vaccines.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jmorposmo

Thank you everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. We have actually switched vets a few months ago because the old one was pushing to have him done "as soon as possible" and our new one is fine with waiting until we think the time is right. We have just had people bring it up to us about aggressiveness - towards both humans and other animals - and the issues of trying to run away if he smells a female in heat. I personally want to wait, but wanted to be able to read some info so when people ( my family) give me crap about it I can explain why it is important for us to wait, etc. Our yard is really secure, completely fenced in, so I feel confident that he wouldn't get out. Plus we are pretty rural, so it is more unlikely that he would encounter a female in heat. So yeah.. Thanks guys! I will do some reading.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

I am not sure what everyone elses experiances are. My breeder has 2 males that are half brothers one looks like a 100% euro breed and the other is the most lanky dobe I have ever seen. Both are unneutered and both have been raised the same way on the same diet. They are a year apart. The larger male breeds once a year andthe younger male has no interest in breeding. The younger lanker dobie is 2 years old. He also has the more puppy attitude that you talk about and very shy as well as having more of a puppy like bark.

I am inclined to say with coming across many other similar situations like this that the nutering has nothing to do with the personality of the dog. I think it is more happen stance and genetics. I will not be using my boy for schutzund or show so he will be neutered as soon as he shows signs of marking or humping. Some of the most mature confident dogs I have worked with both for AKC obedience and trained as service dogs have been both small and large breed dogs neutered at 10 months or before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agift4me

agift4me Hot Topics Subscriber

I had this discussion with my breeder when I was trying to decide on the sex of my puppy and even sought out a second opinion from my vet. Ironically, 18 - 24 months was the recommendation from both professionals for both sexes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jmorposmo

I have wondered about exactly this - how much of it is just how they would be anyways, and in trying to curb some attitude - not that Max is showing any at all - you could cause health issues. Max is from Euro lines on both sides, his dad is pretty thick, I wonder what he will end up being like :) only time will tell.

THank you! That is what our current vet is saying. I'm a dork and seem to think about asking his breeder last always. IDK why, because he has been a great help and great resource, I just always do. :scratch: I'm weird like that

13. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

Personally, I like the leggy more lanky looking dobes. The beefier ones remind me a lot of rotties which I don't like.

14. jmorposmo

I spoke with our breeder last night and he agrees with waiting until at least 18 months. We are going to shoot for that then :) THanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Archer was neutered at 12 months and resembles Jan's Boris in leg/build ratio. He is very tall and has stilts for legs. He does have insane muscle tone, but he also runs off leash for at least an hour daily. I think much of the body type has to do with genetics, but I don't think neutering early helps. I personally wanted to wait until 18 months-2 years for Archer just due to health benefits, but was bound by breeder contract to neuter at one year.

Both Archer and Faustus have never mounted anything, or hiked their leg to pee on anything other than a bush on a walk. Archer is very sensitive and does not like loud noises or voices raised. He has a very deep menacing bark and his guarding instinct is good. I feel that some of these behaviors have to do with personality of the dog, and some of it hormones.

This all being said, only you can make the best decision for your dog, support or not :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Dobiemom_of2

Dobiemom_of2 Member

We had Yeti neutered at about 6 months old. Sometimes I think we did it to early since he is tall/lanky...lots of legs but him being only 8 months right now I feel he has lots of growing left. He has a lot of skin left to grow in. However, he rarely hikes his leg. If he does he barely lifts a foot. He doesn't mount his sister either!! And he has a deep bark, he's definitely a protector at our house. His bark comes compete with a Mohawk from head to tail. We feed him a good food, and I'm planning to get him to start running me with in my 5ks once the new trail in finished at the park. Hoping this builds muscle for him!!!

17. Brienna

Brienna Hot Topics Subscriber

I hate to hijack the thread but I came here with the same question and didn't think I should make another thread with this one so close to the top.

We recently got our first dobermans. They're just over 4 mths now and I've really been stressing over the proper neuter age. I grew up with lots of dogs all done at 6mths but it was small breeds so the larger doberman is a whole new ballgame for me.

The problem is that we got two pups from the same litter and of course one is female and one is male. I'm worried about neutering them too soon but I'm also worried about having an un-neutered sister/brother pair running around.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

While it is better for their health to wait, you also have to balance the decision with what you and your family can handle. Having an intact dog of either gender is a huge responsibility. With a female in heat you have to keep her under constant supervision for the duration of her heat but especially during the most fertile period, I believe it is her 3rd week but someone else will know better. Even if you keep them physically apart your male will be able to smell her and is likely to be essentially tortured by the smell. Some members have had great results with a supplement that helped reduce the intensity of the scent. Hopefully they'll be along to help you with that if you're interested. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons yourself but if it were me and I knew I couldn't be 100% certain I could keep them apart I would seek out one of two options 1) see if someone else can take the male for me for the month she's in heat or 2) look into having her spayed as late as possible but still before her first heat. Females seem to have significantly fewer health issues with early spaying than males do with early neutering.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Brienna

Brienna Hot Topics Subscriber

Thanks for the fast response MGW! I had been thinking that doing her first and then him later sounded like the best possible plan. I'm confident that I could keep them separate but, with the way our schedules are, my husband is home alone with them more than i am and he's just not as attentive. He can't understand why they get into more mischief when I'm not there lol!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Does anyone know if a neutered dog's urine is less caustic/powerful/acidic or whatever?

I've never neutered any of my Dobes, and I don't want to neuter Oji; but I do have that question.

A lot of plants and vegetation he pees on dies.

I know it is a rather uneducated sounding question.

Another question that's related:

Do you think a dog's urine can hurt a tree? The yard of our house we just moved into was professionally landscaped about 20 years ago. We have a nice big Burch in the backyard (two trunks about 12" diameter each) and a nice Pine tree (trunk about 10 or 11" diameter). We also have a Dogwood of the same age but it's apparently a type that is on the smaller end? (trunk 4 or 5" diameter).