• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Need to change dog food-bring on the suggestions!

Then this last time I brought him in to be neutered and demanded they check him out really well to make sure he would handle the surgery and come out okay. They called me within 20 minutes of dropping him off, saying he is suffering from chronic malnourishment.
So they didn't do the neuter, right? Because I wouldn't put him through that in his condition.

You are getting some great advise here. I hope you get to the bottom of this and he starts to improve. Sometimes you just have to keep nagging your vet or change vets. Which I know you did. I'm just saying. When YOU know that something isn't right and no one listens, it's time to change. You did right by listening to your gut. I mean, honestly, just looking at him I can tell he is in poor condition and I am far from being a vet. It breaks my heart! We all will be eagerly awaiting updates from you. Good luck and give him a big hug from all of us!

I'm with Bri on this one. I wouldn't risk raw with a sickly pup that's already malnourished. Too risky. And a minor set back could be catastrophic at this point.

I also second a bland diet (chicken or turkey and rice), with beneficial digestion supplements. This really seems to help a lot in dogs who aren't gaining and are sick. I've even see parvo pups brought back from the brink by doing this (and usually subq fluids).

But yes, getting to the route of the problem is beyond neccesary. Do you have ticks in your area? If so, may be worth checking for tick borne stuff as well.

Yep, we have a lot of ticks, especially so far this year! He has been on flea and tick preventative since it started getting warm. I think I will try to bland meals as you guys have suggested. Thank you! I think when I go back to the new vet for his weigh in I will go ahead and have them do the testing you all suggested.
And oh yeah, I am super frustrated! Seems like they would have insisted on those tests! Ridiculous. I will try the bland diet for now and see how that goes. I will definitely keep everyone updated! Thank you again!

So they didn't do the neuter, right? Because I wouldn't put him through that in his condition.

You are getting some great advise here. I hope you get to the bottom of this and he starts to improve. Sometimes you just have to keep nagging your vet or change vets. Which I know you did. I'm just saying. When YOU know that something isn't right and no one listens, it's time to change. You did right by listening to your gut. I mean, honestly, just looking at him I can tell he is in poor condition and I am far from being a vet. It breaks my heart! We all will be eagerly awaiting updates from you. Good luck and give him a big hug from all of us!

They did end up doing the neuter because all the blood work came back perfect

He is on Heartguard for heartworm and I honestly can’t remember the name of the flea preventative. It was a topical preventative. Maybe called Simple Guard??

I advise to get off all of those, have they done any anti body tests for bacteria?

I advise to get off all of those, have they done any anti body tests for bacteria?

No, they didn’t do any antibody testing. Scared to take him off the preventatives because the mosquitoes and ticks are really really bad right now where I live

No, they didn’t do any antibody testing. Scared to take him off the preventatives because the mosquitoes and ticks are really really bad right now where I live

Make an apple cider vinegar solution and spray it on him before going outside. I live in a rural area and there’s a lot of fleas and ticks. I’ve yet to have a problem. I also recommend going back to the vet and telling them to run every blood and fecal test available.

I’d find a good premade raw grind and start feeding him several meals a day 3-4 and find some good probiotics for him as well. I think @AresMyDobie can chime in with some good supplements.

I would be hesitant to start a raw diet until his body condition is improved and more testing is done. His ability to process different bacteria from raw meat may not handle that change very well and could worsen his condition.
I would ask the vet to test his digestive enzymes to see if the pancreas is producing those to help digest his food.
Without proper digestive enzymes no amount or type of food will provide proper digestion and benefit of nutrition.

^^^^^ THIS!!!

Would definitely not start any raw feeding until you have a diagnosis. EPI, Malabsorption, IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) would be my go to rule outs. My last Dobe dealt with what turned out to be IBD her whole (short :sorrow:) life. Only when she was diagnosed with something else going on did that get diagnosed as well and resolved when she was treated with steroids for the other condition.
Also another thing is a very slow transition to a new food.. I do a 2 week from kibble to kibble.

That said, dong get the wrong idea- I’m Pro-Raw feeding and I would love to have my guys on it if we could afford it, it’s just important to get to the bottom of this first.
(My girl would bounce back and forth from beautiful to Emaciated like a yo-yo)
9EF449C8-4F19-4323-83AE-B7DC98948B30.jpeg
8D8D3050-C63B-4AA6-B01B-A056A5C27C4F.jpeg

Sorry, haven’t had time to get on here lately. Been busy with a ton of crap. So, I talked to the vet, and she said to keep him on this new food for a couple months and monitor his progress. I am happy to say he is slowly gaining weight, and now his poops are solid and regular. Thank God, no more diarrhea! He is seeming more active than usual. The only thing I am concerned about now is that his coat still looks crappy. However, the vet told me that his coat can take a while to noticeably improve. I will post pictures soon.

Sorry, haven’t had time to get on here lately. Been busy with a ton of crap. So, I talked to the vet, and she said to keep him on this new food for a couple months and monitor his progress. I am happy to say he is slowly gaining weight, and now his poops are solid and regular. Thank God, no more diarrhea! He is seeming more active than usual. The only thing I am concerned about now is that his coat still looks crappy. However, the vet told me that his coat can take a while to noticeably improve. I will post pictures soon.
What food did you switch him to?

Back