1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

need some help with tala - Weight issues

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Tala0309, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Tala0309

Tala0309 Novitiate

I have a red doberman named tala she is just over a year old and we are having trouble with her weight shes up to 8 scoups a day bud shes still dropping weight we have tried multiple things but we are at a loss no she doesnt 20190222_092750.jpg have worms shes very active and she eats purina proplan lamb a d rice

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

Have you tried other foods with her? I would try a different kind of food, and if necessary, try a few over time.

So, she is losing weight, not just being (slightly) underweight?

With my current male, we have struggled with his weight and being too thin most of his life. I can tell you he hit a max weight at under one year, then dropped well below it for a long time. It was, and is, so confusing.

Best I can tell, my boy just has a g.i. system that does not allow him to absorb what he needs from the food.

How are her stools? Loose? Firm? Does she poop more than you would think she should? My boy tends toward the loose.

By 8 scoops, do you mean 8 actual cups – as in an 8 ounce cup x 8 per day?

I have given up on my boy in this regard, but I hope you find answers.

Is she an inside dog, or does she say outside? If outside only, it's possible she paces etc. so much and doesn't rest as much as normal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tala0309

Tala0309 Novitiate

Shes both inside and out lol but mainly inside lol but her stool is normal and yes 8 cups a day its crazy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

So her stool is normal, that's unexpected. But so is 8 cups which is a ton of food. Purina anything is bad news from a health standpoint so I would switch out her kibble regardless and that should hopefully resolve the issue. It surprises me that her hip bones and spine aren't visible though. Can you post a few more pics including one of her standing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I’d switch her to Fromm or another quality dog food and see how it goes from there. Purina is complete shit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You can also try satin balls to get some weight one her

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

:spit: I just picked up a bag of Pro Plan yesterday to switch Oji onto. I know. Don't care.

I also know some experienced dog people who feed Pro Plan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

If she is eating 8 cups of food a day and losing weight, I would start with blood work to check kidney & liver function. (JMO)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

That’s what my breeder uses. All working dogs.

So what is the recommended cup amount for a 70-80lb dog? Is it the 8 cups the OP is feeding?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Pro Plan Sport (30 protein, 20 fat) recommends 2 1/2 - 3 1/3 cups for a dog that weight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

^^^^This! Feeding 8 cups a day and still losing weight? Something is wrong! I'd have to find the reason before I kept stuffing too much food down her throat.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

8 cups is A TON of food. My 2 yr old 94 lb 28” tall male gets 6 per day and even that is high amount.

If that amount of food isn’t helping you need to see a Vet asap as something is internally wrong. Her pelvis, ribs shoulders and spine are showing! Throwing more food at her, changing foods or adding high fat foods like satin balls isn’t going to help. You need to know what is wrong first. I strongly advise bloodwork to assess internal organ function, a full thyroid panel with autoimmune thyroiditis panel and an exam. It may be something as simple as thyroid or malabsorption, but this breed is riddled with health issues and what you are seeing is in no way normal. Her coat looks thrifty and she does not look healthy. I am worried for you.

Please keep us posted

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

I would worm for TAPEWORMS. They are tricky buggers that are hard to diagnose AND you have to use a specific wormer for them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

How big are her poops???? How many times does she poop per day???

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  15. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I’d also check thyroid

16. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 3
  17. Oh Little Oji

18. Oh Little Oji

Hmmmm. Seems Oji's stools are the best they've ever been now that we are switched over to Pro Plan Sport.

19. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Just because Oji’s stools are firm doesn’t mean he’s healthy. I myself have some of the best stools after pigging out on fast food.

Also, the sports receives 2.5 stars out of 5 on dog food advisor. It’s also packed full of fillers that have no nutritional value. But hey, you do you boo boo.

E203484F-AE29-443B-B5F1-35030AAF491E.png

20. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, dang, she hasn't been back since the 22nd of February. :( I hate not knowing how her dog is doing. :(

• Agree Agree x 1