Need help with posting method for 1 y/o!

doberdemon

So long story short I’ve been terrible about posting, haven’t tried in something like 8mos and now my boy is 13mos. One ear stands and one flops. That one has been flopping for the whole 8mos, though his cartilage is still insanely soft and he can make that ear stand if it’s perked up. I stopped bc my boy Enzo has been an absolute nightmare with posting, I’ve never been able to keep a post in for longer than 2 days and I got too frustrated. I talked to some other experienced Dobe owners on a FB group and some say there’s still a chance to get this ear to stand until he’s about 2?

I’m looking for thoughts on which method I should try? And if you think it’s not too late? Cannot get him to tolerate normal backer rod postings. Can’t decide whether to try half posts, zip ties or not, mole foam, just tape, or what! Even with Torbot he’ll immediately rip out posts upon being released, distractions or not. So I can’t figure out which method might be slightly less irritating to him. I would be insanely grateful for any opinions on what to try. 😭🙏🏻

Including photos in case that helps so y’all can see the floppy ear!

CB5D3AF7-EA0C-411D-B29F-E3B59E55287F.jpeg109169E4-8303-4692-9E22-CCE4C29DF148.jpeg

Keep it posted for 3-4 more months and see. Hard to say at this stage. Many dogs have to get posted 14 months or more so it is possible.

Cannot get him to tolerate normal backer rod postings.
Honestly that tells me that you're not getting the post deep enough into the ear canal. The backer rod method has never bothered any of our dogs as long as they're inserted correctly.
I'd definitely keep trying if he is still pulling it up when he's alert but you need to keep them in at all times, except when your changing them and then only leave them out long enough to clean and dry.

Keep it posted for 3-4 more months and see. Hard to say at this stage. Many dogs have to get posted 14 months or more so it is possible.
Fingers crossed, I’m really putting my foot down to try and get it to stand since it’s been trying so hard on its own lately! Do you think it’s possible if it’s been down for 8mos though? I’ll still give it a try and see if it makes a difference, I just don’t know what method to use!
Honestly that tells me that you're not getting the post deep enough into the ear canal. The backer rod method has never bothered any of our dogs as long as they're inserted correctly.
I'd definitely keep trying if he is still pulling it up when he's alert but you need to keep them in at all times, except when your changing them and then only leave them out long enough to clean and dry.
You’re probably right there 😂😭 I truly wiggle it down as far as I feel it can go, but maybe I’m not using the right size backer rod or keeping it in place well enough. I just don’t know what it is! Is it safe to try a half post and see if he tolerates it better, or do you think he needs a full post with that floppy ear? And do both or just the one? Thank you for your reply. The standing on its own occasionally gives me hope so if I can master this or find the right method for him, I’ll be relentless till it stands!!

If it has been down for 8 months you may be out of luck but it still might be worth a try, if he holds it up some of the time. I had a boxer about 20 years ago that had one ear flop like that, when he was alert they both stood up nice but at rest the one ear would layover. Good luck

Update! We’ve been doing a half post for about 3 weeks now, tolerates it much better than a full post and it holds his ear up well! Much to my dismay though the second it comes down for a repost (today being the most recent after being up for 7 days) it folds right back over! 😩 We’ve also been giving him Vitamin C once daily to try and help. At this stage, after being down for 8mos straight, am I to expect this? (He’s still only about 13mos old, dad had a weak ear till almost 2) If I keep posting is there a chance I’ll start to see it stand for even a couple minutes to know it still has hope? I’d love to hear some feedback as to whether it has a chance, or if I’m just posting for nothing!

Adding pics, first was an older post and the second the one I just put up!
CDACE419-FC9E-4723-8608-6479E9B09D1A.jpeg4F8E9F4F-022F-4685-8062-8D0D3AFDF64F.jpeg

Hi Guys,
need some advice.
one ear stands great, no posts needed but second ear having problem with. Keeps getting infection so we must stop posting for a while then start again.
Any suggestions? I post for 3 days, ear will stand for 20 mins then drop

he’s 12 months. Any hope?
I will continue to post but is there anything I can do, while he has an infections. Now I’m really running out of time

currently posting using backer Rod method

Attachments

• FFE4DACB-5BEE-4FB7-AE36-0536084F5D0C.jpeg
    FFE4DACB-5BEE-4FB7-AE36-0536084F5D0C.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 3
  • C99D56C0-52A2-4FFD-A42F-6834A9AFACB7.jpeg
    C99D56C0-52A2-4FFD-A42F-6834A9AFACB7.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2002A0B0-AB1F-4B57-AFD5-5540FA535F7D.jpeg
    2002A0B0-AB1F-4B57-AFD5-5540FA535F7D.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 3

Back