Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Need help with our daughters new kitten

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by MyBuddy, Aug 3, 2019.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's been almost 3 years since our daughters 18 year old cat passed away. We all grieved! I knew one day a new kitty would come into their lives. They are definitely cat people more than dog.

Well, the opportunity finally presented itself when a friend of theirs found an abandoned litter of four kittens. They placed all of them and she finally decided to take this one home.

received_323913058489948.jpeg received_2090973767863631.jpeg received_2004678752967405.jpeg received_385121425529836.jpeg

Are those the biggest round eyes you've ever seen!? LOL

She is only 6 weeks old. A vet visit showed she had roundworm and ear mites and only weighing in at 1 pound 7 oz. Now she's asking me for food advice. :wideyed: I had a few opinions with her last Kitty. 1- when their cat got too fat. :nono: 2- when she was feeding Bluetooth treats! :shock: I won't touch Blue Buffalo anything! I've had several conversations with her about our discussions here on dog food. So now she's coming to me for advice on cat food and I am at a loss! I have not had a cat for a number of years. I know so much has changed with feeding our dogs that I'm sure there is a change with cats too. But I'm unfamiliar with it.

Right now she is feeding Iams and picked up a couple of other things too. But she wants to be sure that she starts her out with a good food. So she wanted me to ask all of
    you! :D

received_2043652999072763.jpeg

So I need some suggestions! With everything! LOL Wet food, dry food, treats, anything raw? I know she won't feed a raw diet but something like sardines once in awhile? I don't know. I feel so out of the loop with cats. But I'm confident that all of you can give me some feedback that will help her.:help:

They are so in love! This little one is such a baby at 6 weeks old. But learning to love everyone!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Been a long time since I had to feed a cat, but I do recall my Mom mixing canned & dry. They love canned food, but I think they'd need the dry for dental health also.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What a little cutie! Love big eyes on a cat haha.

I used to feed my cat Iams, but learning about dog food made me realize that Iams is bad. Cat kibble pretty much has the same issues with fillers and byproducts as dog food does. I switched her to Acana at the same time that I moved Kaiser to Acana back in his puppy days. Definitely feed some wet food because cats can develop serious fussiness. The purpose of feeding a softer food is so that they can continue eating when they are older and have lost their teeth (what a sad thought, right!). Feeding too much tuna is not a good thing, but occasionally is fine. I’ve never fed cat food from cans because of the smell so she is mainly raw fed with beef. I freeze ground beef into ice cube trays because 1 thawed cube is usually enough for a meal. Any beef for humans is also chopped up into tiny pieces for fresh meat. Cooked chicken and cooked salmon are also on the menu. I use Ziwipeak beef kibble as treats. I actually find human meat to be much cheaper than the canned cat foods, so if they have meat in the house often enough, it’d be easier than having to store the little cat tins. If they prefer the tins though, I’d check out Costco as I believe I’ve seen Fancy Feast there. Great idea to introduce her to pumpkin because it works for cat diarrhea too. Olive oil is great for a constipated cat.

If I could do it all over with my cat, I’d pretty much treat her like a dog and have her eat a variety of meats and treats, lol. Oh, and crate train the cat! I’m currently harness and flexi training mine - if you think puppies hate leashes :spit:

Critical: Get her used to nail trims asap! We ditched our cat nail scissors and use human nail clippers instead - way faster. I also started using baby wipes on her between bath time - just like the dog!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Sorry NO on all of the ones in the pictures!

For sure NO cats should be on a dry kibble food! Cats need lots of moisture.

Our 2 cats we feed Primal Freeze Dried Raw and some canned First Mate.

First choice would feed a Raw Diet.
    I know everyone has a budget. A cat is easier on the budget to feed a Raw Diet.

But I would stick with a canned food. Also rotate named meat proteins!

We also add in some Answers Raw Goats Milk and some Primal Bone Broth.

Some good info!

Best Cat Food 2019 - Kitty Catter
    https://www.kittycatter.com/best-cat-food
    The Top-Rated Dry, Wet, Frozen & Fresh Human Grade Foods For Adult Cats in 2018. Like all animals, pets, and even people, cats are individuals. That means that there’s never going to be a single “best” cat food that is appropriate for every cat.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm not a cat person but she's a cutie and I bet your daughter and the family are happy to have another one in their lives.

TOTW makes both canned and dry cat food so that might be an option as well. Definitely tell her to get rid of the Fancy Feast asap.

I love auto-correct. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MyBuddy

I know she most likely will not do raw. So what brand names of cat food are the best?
    Ahaha! I did not catch that!

7. MyBuddy

Is there cat advisor like the dog one?

8. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

We used to feed my fiancé’s kitty canidae, I’d feed that (she lived to a healthy 19 years old). If not canidae I’d get Orijen.

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I looked it up and it is under development. Looks like they only have a registered site so far.

10. strykerdobe

When look up cat foods. First thing to remember cats are true carnivores. Not like dogs! Dogs will eat anything. But I still think dogs are carnivores (some say Omnivores but like I say put a steak and a piece of corn next to each other and see what happens) like their ancestors the Wolf. Dogs in the wild only ate about 4-6% Carbs!

But back to cats.
    Look for one that has the most Named Meat Proteins, Organs and Low in Carbs.

Top rated I like Ziwi Pets canned. Vary the named meat proteins. But expensive! Look on Chewy.com

I would trust Susan Thixton on her opinion on Dog and Cat foods. She has attended the AFFCO meetings in the past.

Truth about Pet Food – Knowing the truth can save your pet ...
    https://truthaboutpetfood.com
    Susan Thixton’s ‘list‘ of pet foods she would trust to feed her own pets. Petsumer Report Our pet food review publication that includes more than 5,000 pet foods.

Cat Food: Expert and User Reviews - consumersearch.com
    https://www.consumersearch.com/cat-food/reviews
    Jun 15, 2018 · Susan Thixton reviews and rates cat foods based on their first five ingredients. If Thixton deems all five to be quality ingredients, the food gets 5 paws; four quality ingredients, 4 paws, and so on. (Wet food can earn a maximum of 4 paws because the extra water or broth -- although beneficial -- doesn't count as a quality ingredient here.)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I am getting so cranky with the pet food industry! Was reading labels at Tractor Supply on Cat dry foods today and most of it is now grain free and the 2nd, 3rd or 4th ingredient is peas or lentils. If this pea/lentil thing is a nutrition blocker like they think it might be in dogs, cats are going to be on the sick list really soon. Dry food is about 40% carbs and cats need about 1% carbs. The problem with ALL pet foods, wet or dry, is that the protein is coming from peas & lentils in the grain free and soy in the originals. Cats absolutely cannot live on plant protein, which is why every cat food has taurine added. I totally understand not wanting to feed raw if the messyness of it bothers someone, but if they can afford it do the frozen raw, it's pretty clean. Also if you feed cats fresh eggs, they must be cooked, raw egg whites are another nutrient blocker. (@strykerdobe, do you know if this is true for dogs?) We add cooked scrambled eggs 2 or 3 days a week to the critters dinner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Feed a raw diet. Dry food is not good for them or their teeth. Primal raw offers it in frozen little cubes and it’s not gross or smelly like the can food. Most cat diets have waaay too much iodine which eventually affects the thyroid. They need a probiotic as well. Also cats must maintain proper taurine levels to flourish.
    Cats can’t taste sweet things so make sure she isn’t getting anything with sugar in it and carbs are not needed for the cat other than what they get in meat. Cats are total carnivores and the raw is best. Your daughter wouldn’t freak out over it like most people do with feeding raw to dogs.
    The frozen cubes of meat are drab, just thaw and cut it up a little and serve it. Your cat will live longer and healthier.
    She looks like my Tortie “Cruza” who is 19yrs old.
    90BE52E2-E959-4451-A21C-E1F6EEA65D86.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  13. strykerdobe

Here is how to calculate how many carbs are in your Kibble foods.
    Add Protein, Fat, Moisture, Fiber and Ash.
    If Ash is not listed then use 6%. Then subtract from 100%. Then that’s the amount of carbs in you Pet food.

HOW TO CALCULATE HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN A BAG OF PET FOOD! - Planet Paws
    Jul 5, 2015 · Do you know how many carbohydrates are in your bag of kibble? Most pet parents don't because the pet food manufacturer doesn't really want you to know. Therefore, they don't list it on the label. A ...

We feed to our Dobes a Raw Diet and give one raw egg and crushed shell a day with their raw. But we also feed raw liver which has Biotin in it.

On eggs yes if you just feed egg whites is not good. Egg whites contain avidin. Which can bind with Biotin (B7). But there is Biotin in the yolks.

So if you lightly scramble over low heat and keeping the the whole egg wet and not over cooked dry you should be good. Some heat will destroy the avidin. High heat destroys essential vitamins, amino acids, enzymes.

Wild dogs and their wolf ancestors ate eggs. Eggs are one of the most perfect foods. After all it can grow a chicken!

These are articles mor towards dogs.
    But like I mentioned just lightly cook the whole egg over low heat.

Eggs For Dogs - Good Or Bad? - Dogs Naturally
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about raw feeding and it seems the poor egg is often dragged through the mud as a dangerous food for dogs. In fact, one of the most asked questions here is, can I add eggs ...

Eggs for Dogs: Safe or Not? - Dogs Naturally
    [​IMG]

Ever thought about giving your dog raw eggs before? If you haven't, you should! Read this article and learn how eggs can help improve your dog's health.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I feed mine raw eggs shell and all.
    The eggshell membrane has a lot of taurine in it and other nutrients that are beneficial for good health.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I feed my cats raw. Its super easy since they eat so little. You can do premade to make it easier. It wouldnt be much different in terms of handling than wet cat food, just have to remember to thaw when feeding the day before meal.

I give mine a variety of meats and cuts, some organs, and they get a chicken wing for bone days. And yes, cats are very powerful crunchers and handle chicken wings no problem!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Never thought to add a chicken wing. I will have to try this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MyBuddy

Does anyone remember what it's like when you first started learning that the cheapest food isn't the best? Or that you had to read the ingredients and make a decision? I do. I think that's what this is going to be like. Not that she wants to feed the cheapest. Or she wouldn't have come to me and you for advice. But when you first start out learning (and believe me I still am!) It's really difficult to know if you are making the right choice.

And feeding raw is so foreign to most people that it's not even an option. Even I am only 50-50 on board with that. And it's only because as a newbie I haven't researched it enough to feel that I know what I'm doing. And yes, you can give pre-made. But I'm sure it's expensive. I have often thought that if I only had Kali here, perhaps I would go Raw? I had thrown the thought around! Only because she's so small that maybe it can be done easier. And that's what I thought with this new kitty. But again, the idea is still so new that I'm sure she'll feel inadequate. She just needs just a good food choice.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

@MyBuddy oh yes, and I'm totally frustrated too! And I curse myself for getting so anal over everything. I had a cat that lived for 19 years (1976 - 1995) on free choice kibble, usually purina but sometimes whatever was cheap. I never gave canned food. So it's really conflicting. I think it boils down to "when you know better, you do better". Also I have studied animal behavior and health for years, and especially the canine & feline & equine in the wild, how their bodies were made to specifically eat & digest certain things and how our convenience has interrupted all that. They can all live on kibble but they will thrive on a more natural diet. I feed a partially raw diet to the cats and they always prefer it to canned or kibble. As for gross, if you buy a package of hamburger or fresh chicken thighs it should smell like nothing. If it smells at all, you would take back to the store for a refund. Raw meat is not gross, but some canned cat food smells putrid. Also, kibble soaked in water for 30 minutes smells so bad my cats wouldn't touch it. I hope your daughter doesn't feel inadequate, we all just do the best we can do!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

When I learned about Kaiser’s food, kibble back then, I never gave the cat a second thought. One day while lifting up her food bag, I thought I’d read through the ingredients. I was so shocked. It’s as if I had somehow assumed that only dog food had issues. She was on Iams at the time. Not even the little bag, but the biggest bag available! And I didn’t even store it in an airtight container :facepalm: Then moved her over to Acana. Surprisingly the cost difference wasn’t much given the much improved quality.

I think if she picks a food that has named proteins in the first 4 or 5 ingredients that’s already better than feeding Iams.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MyBuddy

I think that's always the argument! We had a cat for 18 years. I don't even remember what I fed him but I'm sure I didn't give it too much thought.:bag: Same for our family cat. We had her for 22 years! That was back in the fifties and sixties! Who knows what we are feeding then. They all lived a very long life. So go figure. I'm sure there's dog people who say the same thing.

This is very true. Good thought.

Sometimes I think it takes the village. LOL when you're trying to change your thought process on something, a lot of people fight it. Nobody likes change. And most will say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. In other words, my animal is doing fine. It took me a long time to see some of the value of raw feeding. And I'm still not there.:chicken:

Reading ingredients I think it's still a skill set that most people don't have. Including myself. Sometimes I look at it and think, is that good? LOL but I will tell her about the first five ingredients being protein. It's too bad they don't have a cat advisor like they do for the dogs. Has there been any recalls on any cat foods that anybody knows about??

• Like Like x 1