Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Need help from anyone in canada.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Doberman1994, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

I recently had our 8 year old doberman pass away due to a brain tumor. We have found a breeder in Vancouver who has the same bloodlines as our little angel. We should be getting the puppy in october but im worried now as to the border being closed. I cant seem to find a place to get her ear cropped. The breeder said she goes to washington but has not replied to any of my emails about if thats still possible to get done. She was quick to reply before I gave my deposit and now says shes to busy to answer my questions at the moment. ( yes I know the ear cropping isn't really good and is for cosmetic reasons only and blah blah ) but we are hoping for a dog that looks like our rouge who had a beautiful ear crop. I just personally like the look better on them. Does anyone know of somewhere near Vancouver that does the ear crop. I do know its not aloud in bc so yes I do mean somewhere other then bc but still close enough that I could make it a day trip on a plane.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there! Don't feel bad about ear cropping. A lot of us are pro ear cropping. I am very pro crop.

@Kaiser2016 is in western Canada, I believe.

Who else?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Thanks. I dont mind the non cropped look but my husband doesn't want the puppy if we don't get it cropped as it is a more overal doberman look with the crop. The breeder has not been much help which has been unfortunate.

4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Have you expressed that decision to the breeder? You've already given a deposit. Will you get it back if you cannot crop the pup? Maybe if you let the breeder know that you will not be taking the puppy without being cropped she will help you. I don't think the US/Canadian border is 'open' and I'm not sure if cropping is illegal in Canada? @Kaiser2016 ??

5. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

The deposit is non refundable. And I'm hoping the border opens by October because she originally said she had someone in Washington that she goes to. But im not opposed to flying to ontario ( the only place its legal to do in canada ) to get it done once we get her. I emailed her to talk about it and asked her if this pandemic makes it impossible to do the ear crop as thats what we strongly talked about before I placed the deposit was a must. But she messages me saying " she knows I'm excited but she's far to busy with work and family to go over things until the puppys are born in august" so im not sure if i was being to hasty and worrying to soon or if shes just not the best. Im a huge planner I like to plan things in advance

6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Check out Summitview Vets in Cowiche Wa. They do laser crops on Dobermans, Boxers and Schnauzers and couple other breeds.

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Is it still legal in Ontario? They even banned it here in Alberta and I thought for sure we’d be the last place still doing it.

Going to the US would be the best bet. My hb is the same way about having a cropped Doberman. I think he said Montana also has options, but the last time he looked was 4 years ago. If you’re picking up your pup from Van then I’d have at least 2 vet options (and flights!) to explore.

8. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Yes unfortunately I think I will have to move my deposit to the January litter so the ear cropping would be able to get done. Which unfortunately sucks as we were excited to get one soon.

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

As for the border closure, they have been talking about opening it up to neighbouring communities along the border as they feel there is ‘essential’ commerce going on. That said, Banff has been making the news lately with American tourists showing up, so whatever ‘border closure’ is going on, doesn’t seem all that real if vacationers are able to come here.

@Panama might find this info useful as well if she’s still waiting to get her dog back from Canada.

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry about your loss. :(

We're in northern Minnesota and I haven't heard anything about the borders coming in and out of this state reopening. That said, the nearest crop vet you'd find in this state would be at least 300 miles south of the Canadian border.

11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If she thinks she is too busy now, just wait till the pups arrive.
    I would be a bit nicked about her lack of answering a simple basic question.
    If you put the deposit on a CC you can contest the charges.
    Most likely though you sent a certified check and it can’t be disputed.

For me this would be a red flag with that breeder.
    Did she at least provide you with proof of genetic health testing results of three generations of her lines.

Health testing is very important

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

I made an e transfer. And honestly looking here online this forum I have found people saying not to go through this breeder so now im even more stressed about it.

13. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Questions. The breeder still hasn't replied so I went crazy mode made a fake email and emailed her asking about the dogs and the cropping. Weird I know but I just feel like she's ignoring me. Well GUESS WHAT she replied and is now claiming the dogs are 3500.00 with natural and the crop is up to the buyer to figure out. I signed a contract saying it was 3000 natural and 3850 for the crop to which we agreed on her doing. But now she's not replying she also said in the fake email that she has all deposit for the litters this year and has 40 people on wait list so chances are slim. I feel like im being scammed iv already given her 1000 and was suppose to be getting a puppy born this Aug. What should I do

14. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Since she has a wait list it should be easy for her to fill your spot. If you are unhappy, tell her. She should refund your money. If you paid through PayPal you should be able to contest payment.

If you are ok knowing they'll likely be uncropped, then stay waiting. It's possible she just doesn't have an in stone answer yet.

I know it's frustrating and I'm a huge planner too, but with Covid things easily change in 10+ weeks. It's best to give the breeder a bit more patience than normal. In my experience, I do find as they are born, the response time goes up and the answers are a little more known.

I'm sorry you are in this dilemma. Trust whatever your gut says. There may be a reason this is happening, especially if you found feedback here that there are other red flags.

15. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Yes I'm okay with uncropped I think so i honestly just want her to acknowledge me. Puppys are suppose to be born in Aug but have not been given a time frame so I feel like she won't even tell me

16. JanS

I'd personally run away fast and so much there sounds really fishy to me and that price is ridiculous. As stated, if you paid via PayPal I'd try to get the deposit back since she changed the terms and price after the fact.

17. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

From the fake email I sent this
    "Can you tell me more about yourself, do you work during the day? If so who will be watching the puppies ? Do you have kids in your house hold ? How old are the parents? How many liters have the female had before? What are the congenital defects in this breed? How are your puppies weaned?What food brand will you be starting them on? Are your dobermans z factored? And most importantly once we give you the deposit when will we hear back from you about the puppies ? Do you contact right when they are born or do you wait weeks or a week before they are born ect. As I will be giving the deposit in far advance I just need to know that I will be notified and dont have to email you every week in March to find out when. Ect. Thanks "
    Her email before this was saying I only have one deposit to the spring 2021 liter so you will def get a puppy then .
    She replied " That’s a lot of questions and some are irrelevant to buying a puppy. Mine are in such high demand so I think you should look for another breeder. Good luck. "
    So pretty much I now know she's a useless breeder who is probably scamming me but I have given her 1000 through e transfer and won't be getting it back now if I pull out and I really can't afford to lose that . So I guess I have to just wait it out and see how it goes. Wish me luck

• Wow x 1
  18. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

I wish i would of ran before I sent the deposit for sure

19. Doberman1994

Doberman1994 New Member

Hopefully things go through and I get the puppy and its healthy. But I will be posting everywhere to stay away from that breeder because red flags everywhere but you don't see them until you put a deposit.

20. JanS

Just wow.... :nono:

• Like Like x 1