• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Need Advice My Dog Stopped Eating

I have a 2 year old dobie. Up until last week (sunday) she was doing fine eating her food, then suddenly she decided she didnt want it anymore. I tried everything. Chicken, ground beef, different brands/flavors of wet food, beef liver treats, freeze dried chicken & nothing. (i began to hand feed her. Only way she will eat, i soak her kibble & literally spoon feeding her)

I took her to the vet because my dog was not acting like herself & was “depressed” found out she was faking it. Dr. Told me to continue to hand feeding her because shes being a brat. (She had BW done & everything is 100% ok. We took chest rads & everything is fine, she was regurgitating & dr. Wanted to see her esophagus in case it was enlarge & thought that was the issue. Im 100% sure she did NOT eat something she wasnt supposed too.) if i give her treats she WILL eat them no issue.

When she was a puppy she was quite picky. I was told to just let her starve until shes ready to eat. But if i do that she will start vomiting bile & i don’t want that. Her appetite usually goes out of wack when its hot (summer)  & last week it was really hot for 3 days & thats when all this started.

Shes not interested in playing with her toys, shes very playful, she also sleeps a lot (thats why i think shes depressed, i took her to work with me for 3 weeks, she usually stays home, idk if that affected her in some type of way. If i take her on walks or with her dog friends she plays & is happy)

Any suggestions on what i can give her to stimulate her appetite again? Any toppers etc. . .

*** please don’t suggest to switch her to raw food or give her any of that. Raw food is NOT an option for us*

She eats TOTW ancient grains (venison/bison or salmon)

Photo of her from the side, standing so we can see her body condition would be helpful.

I took her to the vet because my dog was not acting like herself & was “depressed” found out she was faking it. Dr. Told me to continue to hand feeding her because shes being a brat. (She had BW done & everything is 100% ok. We took chest rads & everything is fine, she was regurgitating & dr. Wanted to see her esophagus in case it was enlarge & thought that was the issue. Im 100% sure she did NOT eat something she wasnt supposed too.) if i give her treats she WILL eat them no issue.
I don't believe dogs fake things. So if she's not acting normal, you know when something is wrong. Is she spayed? My intact bitch does have a month or so of wanting to sleep way more than her normal. She just turned 4, and her first couple of years I didn't associate it with her heat periods because it's in the couple of months after heat. If you girl is spayed, never mind.

If she isn't drastically losing weight I wouldn't worry too much. But to say she won't eat anything for over a week now would cause sever weight loss. If you are hand feeding her entire meals then she isn't missing food. Not sure what to suggest here. Normally I would say they won't starve themselves, but you said she would in the past? Hand-feeding two meals a day is not normal.

Photo of her from the side, standing so we can see her body condition would be helpful.

I don't believe dogs fake things. So if she's not acting normal, you know when something is wrong. Is she spayed? My intact bitch does have a month or so of wanting to sleep way more than her normal. She just turned 4, and her first couple of years I didn't associate it with her heat periods because it's in the couple of months after heat. If you girl is spayed, never mind.

If she isn't drastically losing weight I wouldn't worry too much. But to say she won't eat anything for over a week now would cause sever weight loss. If you are hand feeding her entire meals then she isn't missing food. Not sure what to suggest here. Normally I would say they won't starve themselves, but you said she would in the past? Hand-feeding two meals a day is not normal.
Yes she is spayed

Hmmm…

My past male was an eater…fricking ate everything. I was always searching for that perfect kibble for him so I changed to and from prob 6-7 brands.

Never really had a problem with transitioning, he just ate it. I remember there were two brands that he ate very well for about 4weeks and then snubbed his nose and would not eat or barely eat any at all Victor and 4Health. I switched off these brands and didn’t have that issue again.

Maybe time for a change of kibble brand?

Completely different opinion here. Barring any thyroid issues, I think she sounds spoiled. No offence, mine is pretty spoiled too 😁

Will eat if hand fed - so she’s not starving, likes to have a good time - she’s not depressed, clearly loved going to work with you - probably just sad to be left home again.

As for Sleeping a lot - well, being at home is boring for them so they sleep during that time. When I work from home, Kaiser sleeps quite a bit more than on a weekend when I am walking around vs sitting at a desk. When he is totally home alone, he will be sleeping.

Adding the toppers or giving variety can create some pickiness. My male is raw fed but even he will look for variety. He wants to try most of what we eat. I think for kibble fed dogs, it’s a more slippery slope. If you want to make the kibble interesting again, you could soak with some homemade broth. Store bought tends to have a lot of salt and they usually add onions, hence homemade.

And then you have to decide whether you’re going to continue with the variety or just offer up plain kibble going forward.

Back