Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Need advice - fear aggression?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by dieseldog, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:42 PM.

1. dieseldog

dieseldog New Member

our make dobie is 2 years old and still wants to be the ultimate guard dog. He gets so worked up when people come over and will at times give them a warning bite if we are not right there. We are in training with a behavioralist and he said it is out of fear. Just wondering if anyone else in here has had this type of experience and can give me some insight and maybe a little hope too!

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My Romanian Rescue has a few fear issues, but she’ll retreat to the upstairs if we have guests. She’ll slowly make her way downstairs but in her own time.
    She’s never nipped out of fear though. Sounds like your boy is trying to remove the threat by giving a warning bite.

Your guests need to know to give him space and limit the attention they give.
    Have you got a safe space area? An area behind a closed baby gate or even a crate?

What’s his Socialization been like with people? Have you had him from a puppy?

You are the one who needs to be in charge. He shouldn’t be able to get to the point where he feels like he needs to lash out and protect himself.

3. dieseldog

dieseldog New Member

We have had him since he was five months old. I honestly believe that he is fearful that they will hurt us, it is like he has this ultimate desire to protect us. Even sometimes if we are out in public if someone comes up to us to pet him or approaches too quickly he will growl and lunge at them. We continue to take him everywhere in order to keep him socialized, and we continue to train, train, train. but at times I get overwhelmed and just wish he would chill out! JUst hoping for some validation that this will get better.

4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Having strangers rush up to you/him is rude. He’s seeing that as a threat. Wanting to pet him? Tell them ‘No’ I’m always vocal whilst I’m out with my girl. I’m not afraid to tell them, either. He’s YOUR dog, be firm and tell them.

Do you have a muzzle for him? If not I’d suggest you get one ASAP.

Has he been looked over by your vet? Just in case it’s something medical going on?

Plenty of physical and mental stimulation daily?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

He is not viewing you as his alpha leader and feels he needs to control the situation. Once you start retraining him to realize YOU set the rules and he must abide by them, then he will start becoming more confident. This is a lot of work but well worth it to start training from the basics and get him over the fear reactions. Many will mistake this behavior for guarding their owners but it’s not, it is fear and a lack of confidence and he lashes out, so you must correct this behavior and start enforcing rules. Start working on confidence building in him. Once he understands that you are the leader and he doesn’t have to be in that role you will start to see a change. It doesn’t happen overnight so be consistent and patient while retraining.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. dieseldog

dieseldog New Member

Yes, we have a muzzle and we are working on muzzle training as well. We have worked up to having it on and walking around for a while now. SO that is progress. Looking for ideas on how to build confidence we do lots of basic obedience and positive rewards for good behavior.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Awesome that you’re seeing a behaviourist! Do they have experience working with this type of dog?

When you have guests at home, you may want to leash him until he gets more comfortable around that. When you leave the room so does he. Maybe even limit the number of guests until the dog is a bit more stable at home. Outside, he is really needing you to keep people away from him. Instead of going to busy places, why not try adding distance from the activity and letting him get used to it slowly? Then you can slowly increase your proximity and examine his reaction. Key thing is that you’re not afraid or nervous. They can sense all that. That’s why I’m suggesting keeping distance outside. You can relax and so can he.

8. Mandy Menard

Mandy Menard New Member

My koda I have to introduce people an let him know they friends then he will smells an walk away

9. dieseldog

dieseldog New Member

Thank you to everyone and your support, I love this site. Yes, his behaviorist is very experienced, but very expensive so I try to spread out the visits.

• Like Like x 1