• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Need advice after ear crop

Haley.NC

Novitiate
I just got my first Doberman female. We had her ears cropped on Thursday and they had it bandages and told us to take bandages off today. Well we took them off, and there was no telfa pad between the gauze, so Gaulish was stuck on her wound. I used water to moisten the gauze so that it would come off easier, but it was still a bit stuck. It did not bleed much, but it has me panicked. I wish I did not get her ears cropped at all now. I applied a triple antibiotic ointment just this one time to try and avoid infection. This is freaking me out. I know it needs air so that it can scan over and heal. Can anyone give me tips on how to help this heal faster? Just some words of encouragement
😞

Don't panic - it happens. As long as the bandages are off I'd just leave them off until it's time for the stitches to come out, then start posting.
The vet shouldn't have covered the incisions in the first place so it's nothing you did wrong.

Did you take the cone off too? I did because it was rubbing a lot
Our breeders all took care of the cropping but they never needed a cone and yours probably doesn't either - if you mean the Elizabethan collar and not the cone on their head.

Ears should have not been bandaged.
Some vets will use a Styrofoam cup upside down on their head and just tape the edges (not on the stitches side) of the ears to the cup.

I would just let them be. Our litter we had the vet just tapped the ears to each other on top of their heads for a few days. They did cover the ears with a nonstick gauze for a couple of days then we removed the gauze and left them in the open air.
Don't worry they will be ok.

Ears should have not been bandaged.
Some vets will use a Styrofoam cup upside down on their head and just tape the edges (not on the stitches side) of the ears to the cup.

I would just let them be. Our litter we had the vet just tapped the ears to each other on top of their heads for a few days. They did cover the ears with a nonstick gauze for a couple of days then we removed the gauze and left them in the open air.
Don't worry they will be ok.
They look much better today! They are scabbed over and I haven’t noticed any signs of infection. She has stopped trying to itch them as often, too. Luckily I work from home so I am able to stay on top of it 24/7

They look much better today! They are scabbed over and I haven’t noticed any signs of infection. She has stopped trying to itch them as often, too. Luckily I work from home so I am able to stay on top of it 24/7

That's good news.
How old is your pup? Are you going to post them yourself? Stitches should come out in 7-10 days. Then post when they come out.
Keep us updated on the progress.

That's good news.
How old is your pup? Are you going to post them yourself? Stitches should come out in 7-10 days. Then post when they come out.
Keep us updated on the progress.
The vet has her scheduled to have sutures removed at the 14 day mark. I may give her a couple days after they are removed before I post them. I’m hoping the vet will go over posting with me. I’m looking at different options that don’t involve the the popsicle stick wrapped in foam. I’m nervous about that getting knocked loose and entering the ear canal instead of that little pocket in the ear

The vet has her scheduled to have sutures removed at the 14 day mark. I may give her a couple days after they are removed before I post them. I’m hoping the vet will go over posting with me. I’m looking at different options that don’t involve the the popsicle stick wrapped in foam. I’m nervous about that getting knocked loose and entering the ear canal instead of that little pocket in the ear

There are some video's on this site.
Have to search for them.

Last edited:
Please please read this site and watch the videos and post yourself!! Vets can do some crazy wrong postings.

You can do it!

I did, with zero experience- just the experience and knowledge on this forum.

X2 Dobermans.

I just got my first Doberman female. We had her ears cropped on Thursday and they had it bandages and told us to take bandages off today. Well we took them off, and there was no telfa pad between the gauze, so Gaulish was stuck on her wound. I used water to moisten the gauze so that it would come off easier, but it was still a bit stuck. It did not bleed much, but it has me panicked. I wish I did not get her ears cropped at all now. I applied a triple antibiotic ointment just this one time to try and avoid infection. This is freaking me out. I know it needs air so that it can scan over and heal. Can anyone give me tips on how to help this heal faster? Just some words of encouragement
😞
I have my 4th dobie and I learn something new each time. To help with some of that sticky tape, detachol works great!! This is an adhesive remover for skin. Also to help with areas that bled I used silver sulfadene or generic form. It is a prescription but heals almost in the same day.
Watch videos on how to post the ears, I did it and so I know you can! I used a “bridge” the entire time, it helped a lot with the shaking head part. The Dobermann I have this time is all my dogs wrapped into one, full of energy. I try to give him a good workout everyday but pretty sure it’s the other way around!

@ShirleyTMartin

Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner.

Then click on forums.

Scroll down to “Introduce Yourself” and click.

Click on Post Thread

and intro yourself and all about your Doberman history. We are a fun bunch from all across the world that really like to hear other’s stories.

Back