1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Need advice about DINGS please

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Dobielover44, May 21, 2019.

1. Dobielover44

Dobielover44 Novitiate

Hello and thank you in advance for your knowledge!
    I have had a few Dobies over the years. My current female is 7 and we haven’t had any health problems with her. She’s amazing and is why I fell in love with the breed.
    Now- I’m thinking of fostering/adopting a pup with a mild (or so I think) case of Dings. He has some vision and hearing issues and yes, his head is usually cocked to the side. I can’t seem to find anything on long term effects and life expectancy. Future vet bills? If we take a chance on this dog (from a rescue) we would like him to stick around!
    Any reassurance or warnings would be great. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Firstly, welcome to DCF from the United Kingdom!

I’ve no personal experience of DINGS, just a very short visit with a young ‘un that did. When we picked our girl up from the rescue she was happily playing with a dobie boy who had both partial sight & hearing. Now, my girls a pretty tough cookie around boys. She won’t tolerate being barked at, pushed, jumped on etc.... buttttt this little lad, Lenon....he could do ANYTHING he wanted and she wouldn’t bat an eye-lid. I watched them both, intrigued, he was jumping and barging into her, he even went underneath her at one point :eek: Her reaction, nothing! She must of sensed something. Incredible huh? Because trust me another dog even try that and he’d be pinned to the ground. :nono:

5D2A366C-137D-4012-B9B8-A23C99AE1676.jpeg

He was a crackin little lad! He circled quite a bit but that’s only to be expected.
    Anyhoo, I’m sorry I can’t give you any quality input, just thought I’d share my experience.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, I've had three Dobermans and been on this board for 10 years and I've never heard of Dings! Gotta move that rock I've been living under! :sorry:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

DINGS

This link has a lot of info. Can’t give you any other info.

But I will say if you’re in the financial and time means to help this dog with a home I think you should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from Wisconsin! :ntmy:
    I don't know a lot about DINGS, but from what I remember, it is difficult to give a prognosis on future health because some cases never worsen and remain mild, while others worsen with age. I think all you can do is research as much as possible, speak to your Vet and get his opinion and then you can make an informed decision. We had one Dobe at our club about 7yrs ago, maybe less, that had it. As I recall he was around 4 or 5 years old when he was in my class. He had the cocked head and some hearing loss, but other than that he was healthy and the owners said that DINGS didn't stop him from anything! He was a big red boy and I remember that he was sweet and happy!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I had also not heard of this before. I’m glad to see the pic from @Viemarangelrock as the dog seems ‘normal’ to look at. Amazing that Tara knew/sensed that he meant no harm.

YouTube has some videos showing a Doberman newborn puppy with dings. It is a rather sad to hear the pup.

7. Dobielover44

Dobielover44 Novitiate

Same. I’m also on Dobie 3 and never heard of it. Apparently this poor pup was from backyard breeds and maybe inbreeding too. Poor fella!

8. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

DINGS symptoms are pretty prominent in infancy. Some are worse than others. Therefore it is hard to say how each individual will do. I have seen neonates do fine and seen others fail. Each case is individual. DINGS is something breeders should test for prior to breeding.

9. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Is it still available?

10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

If you're referring to the test, see the Dings link posted by Antman, says it's done by Embark

11. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't want Emabark's whole test though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Oh, ok, I see what you are saying.