• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Name special qualities of your Doberman

My Wife was watching the farewell video from Brian Barczyk. She has been a fan of his for a few years, and was rather sad to hear of his passing.
During the video Oliver was playing in front of the couch she was sitting on. As soon as she started to mist up, Oliver dropped his toy jumped up on the couch placed his head in her lap and gave her the most sincere I am here for you look. She said she actually felt that he was hurting emotionally to see her like this. My wife said that act actually made her start crying because he was so compassionate. So she started crying , and Ollie, just moved in closer and gave more love. Our lil man will carry our pain without us having to ask. That is why we chose to share our lives with a dobe.

I know this is an older thread, but I had to search - butt poke. Haha… Pepper lately only butt pokes ME and I can’t escape it lol. I think I’m able to avoid it and nope there she goes. When I turn around her cute little face and airplane eats get me. She knows exactly what she is doing…
Is this a Doberman trait or dogs?

Butt pokes are def a Dobe thing. Asha only did it a few months as a puppy, but she hit the bulls eye every.single.time. I'm pretty glad she gave it up by the time she was 6 or 7 months old... 😅

Butt pokes are def a Dobe thing. Asha only did it a few months as a puppy, but she hit the bulls eye every.single.time. I'm pretty glad she gave it up by the time she was 6 or 7 months old... 😅
Hit the bullseye 🎯😂😂😂 yes!!!

She only gets me which I find endearing 🤷‍♀️ 😂

lol... mine would ONLY do it to my mom. And it annoyed the heck out of her. Its like they knew... :D

Yes. Jazz nose pokes. Usually a thigh, shoulder or in the booby. It means give attention, now! Usually just me but if I have visitors and she especially likes them she will spread the love!

My favourite trait now she is a mature dog is that uncanny bond that's almost mind reading. And that goes both ways! I know it is just knowing each other so well you are in synch but it is such a beautiful bond and it is now the benchmark for what I need to achieve with any future Dobe. :love:

My favourite trait now she is a mature dog is that uncanny bond that's almost mind reading. And that goes both ways! I know it is just knowing each other so well you are in synch but it is such a beautiful bond and it is now the benchmark for what I need to achieve with any future Dobe. :love:
It's insane how this breed gets under your skin. I think it's near to understanding what it's like to be a twin.

The only time these two nose poke is when I'm getting out of the shower and it's mostly Olive. I'm just nice and steamy warm from the shower and there's that cold nose on my bare skin. LOL

If Katyusha did that, which she might have, it wasn't long or noteworthy enough to remember. She's different, though, too in that she will not lick anyone (myself included) in the face either, which I find a little odd? Zastava isn't tall enough for butt pokes yet, but she is a face licker for sure!

Oh no... the butt/crotch assaults are a  doberman thing???? Oh no... i thought this was weird intact male behavior. Flint is obsessed with asses and crotches. Dude basically gave my mom a run-by-colonoscopy once.

He's been doing this since he was tall enough to touch butts and fronts. And yeah the "flip everything with your nose" behavior gets intense sometimes. AND THE FOOT FETISH OML!!!!

Flint loves feet. Bare feet, socked feet, shoes... he doesn't care. Must sniff. Must touch with paw. Must play bow after it and mouth it. And here I was thinking he'd grow out of it eventually.

Uh oh...

Flint is obsessed with asses and crotches.
As stated above, my dog only did the butt-poke for a few months growing up then just forgot about it. However, the last Dobe I had back in the '90's fixated on front pokes which lasted her whole life. We told people we asked for a watch dog but got a crotch dog instead. 🙄 😅

Pepper is now turbo snouting my rear. I try to escape, but I am not quick enough lol. If I’m at the fridge and she’s tethered to the table I am done for haha. I have to walk backwards once she gets into turbo mode.

I laugh as it happens, I can’t help it, but sometimes it makes me crazy!

Pepper is now turbo snouting my rear. I try to escape, but I am not quick enough lol. If I’m at the fridge and she’s tethered to the table I am done for haha. I have to walk backwards once she gets into turbo mode.

I laugh as it happens, I can’t help it, but sometimes it makes me crazy!
Human squeaky toy!😂

In answer to special qualities, I would offer the temper tantrum! I had kettle corn the other night beside me in my chair. Sasha sat, did a down and stay, then she whined and cried, stood and dug her nose between me and the chair, threw herself on the floor, rolled back and forth flailing her paws and moaning, whining. She then bit her own paws front and back, groaned as if dying, and rolled some more. Pure temper tantrum! As soon as I said Come, she jumped up thinking she had won! (No she did not get any.) 😂 She is not spoiled!😂

I love the way Glory snow plows the covers on the bed, to get up close next to me under them ❣️ Our last female, Electra, would come in when I was taking a shower, and fling the shower curtain open!!! If my eyes were closed with soap running down my face, I could feel the cold air. I would open my eyes, and there she would be....SMILING, almost saying "I FOUND YOU!" She did this everytime, and I never shut her out of the bathroom, because I thought it was hilarious. Still miss that girlie.

Not always…but one could pretty much categorize the majority of Dobermans to have these qualities:
1. Loyal
2. Velcro
3. Protective
4. Intelligent
5. Alert
6. The strong bond
7. Etc….

I was really thinking about this today. A friend asked me if I was going to get another Doberman since I recently lost Ragnar…

I immediately thought that if I did want another…what are the qualities that I would want:
1. A nose butt on my thigh to check in every 10mins (prob the #1 behavior I love)
2. Black eyes
3. Unmatched loyalty
4. Not exceptionally friendly to others
5. No fear, zero, none at all
6. Beautiful long ears with a whip at the tip

Then I thought about it and thought…damn, those are the characteristics that I loved and respected about Ragnar. It’s really not fair to hold these expectations and wants if I chose to get another male.

Anyways…
Outside of the normal great characteristics of the Doberman breed- what makes your Doberman that “special” to you?? What is it that separates him/her from the others?
Of the things you listed (which I agree with), I just love the way my girl looks at me, uses different barks to tell me what she wants.and how she adjusts to all situations.

Back