1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Nail grinding video

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Marinegeekswife, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Questions about Dremeling nails come up quite often here so I thought I'd put a video together. Let me know what you guys think.

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ethel

Ethel Active Member

Jess thank you very much, this nail grinding video is the best I have ever seen.

• Like Like x 6
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good job Jess! This is how I do my dogs. Drake is easy most of the time but he is still a teenager and gives me attitude once in awhile. Now Greta is different story. Her nails are weird, rhey splinter really easy, so she is very sensitive. Not sure if that is with all dilutes or what, but it can be a challange to do her nails.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Great job Jess! Love that you show the white dot. Very clear shots and angles! Is your
    camera man for hire?!!!!
    How often do you do Spock & River's nails? Just thought I'd ask so it would explain why
    their nails look great.

• Like Like x 7
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Excellent Jess! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I love the close up detail and the fact that you had one of River as well with a little resistance. I think most of us who need the videos probably also need to know how to deal with it when they want to pull away. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  6. StarlightDobe

StarlightDobe Hot Topics Subscriber

excellent video, I sure wish I had dogs as calm as that, I have tried to teach Nexus but she will have nothing to do with it and acts like she is being killed whenever you touch anything to her nails. Bella is a big baby and whines all the time!

• Like Like x 5
  7. DoubleDogDare

DoubleDogDare Hot Topics Subscriber

Very nice video, Jess! I do Dylan with him lying on his side, and he does well. I got him when he was 7 months old, and he'd never seen a Dremel, so I took it very slow. He was awesome. But he never did like the "submission hold". It works for us, though, because he's comfortable on his side, with me scooted up close, and he doesn't struggle or pull away. If he starts pulling his paw away, I check to make sure I'm not too close to the quick. If I'm not, I just hold his paw firmly until he settles, praise him for settling. He gets a treat in between each paw, and a big slice of cheese when we're all done. One thing I can add to your tutorial (not that it needs anything, it's awesome) is that I never let Dylan jump up and run off when we're done. I keep him in position, shut off the Dremel, and continue to pet him and talk to him until he's very relaxed. I then ask him to sit, praise him, and release him. I just don't want him getting used to bolting away when we're finished, so I "follow through" so to speak. It helped the whole routine tremendously!

• Like Like x 7
  8. omel13omel

omel13omel Notable member

this is very educative video Jess...Thank you for sharing a clear way to usa a dremel for trimming nails.....very very nice....

• Like Like x 5
  9. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Great video, Jess! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Marinegeekswife

Wow! Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is much appreciated.

I wanted to be absolutely certain to get the dots because that was something that was a mystery to me when I first started. Ha ha, the camera man is my husband and he does do photography (stills) jobs as a hobby so technically yes he is for hire, LOL! I do their nails once a week. I try to do them every Friday but it doesn't always happen. They were done twice this last week trying to catch up for some missed time the week before, that's why they're so short.

Oh good. It is an important aspect. You can't let them win or it will be a struggle every time until either you give up and let them win again or you finally put your foot down and let them know that's not okay. With puppies and dogs new to it its a calming reaction that's needed but with older dogs and dogs that are veterans to the process you can be a bit more forceful. You still don't want to scare or hurt them, though of course.

Try taking a step, or several, back in the process. Go back to just asking them to lay calmly, treat, and release. Slowly increase the time they have to lay there. Then turn on the Dremel or whatever tool near them but not close enough to scare them and ask them to lay calmly, treat, and release. Repeat this process over several sessions until you can touch their nails with it. Its all about calm, gentle, but firm attitude and handling. If you're anxious they will feed off that. If you give in to their cries or struggling they'll know they can win and will continue to fight. You have to know the balance between the need for a "deal with it" attitude and time to calm them. Either way it must ALWAYS be on your terms, not theirs. I should have shown the end, I ask them to lay calmly for another minute or more and then give them their release word. They are NOT allowed to get up before then.

Great job teaching Dylan and realizing what position works for him and what doesn't. I just realized when I was writing the above to StarlightDobe that I'd left the very end out. Oops. I really should have included that because I do that, too and it is an important aspect of the process. Its part of teaching them to submit to the process and teaching them that it's a calm, happy process.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Great vid! Exactly how I do it and it's so funny the different personalities...it almost looks like a video of my two! The biggest thing is to practice practice practice... it is just like with training anything else! Many and short sessions!

So glad you made a vid with a great camera, too! Looking forward to seeing this passed around through the forums. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  12. Marinegeekswife

Thank you! I just know that when I first started with Spock's nails I wish there had been something like this out there. That was my goal, to remember all the questions I had starting out and picked up along the way, and address them. Hopefully it will be received positively, you know how people can be on the Internet. :p

• Like Like x 6
  13. DoubleDogDare

Regarding the white dots - I actually go a lot further than that. That is definitely a safe place to stop, and you'll never quick them. But there is more room after that point, and if you're in the process of trying to get the length back on the nails, it is safe to continue on. The white dot indicates the approaching presence of the quick. But if you grind further, it will actually bring you to the tip of the quick, at which point the dot will turn darker. At this point, you've exposed the quick without actually compromising it. But it's close enough to the surface that it will recede very quickly. It does not cause the dog any pain. I've been able to get Dylan's nails back relatively quickly in this manner, by bringing his nails back to this point about every four days. I can get his nail length down to about half in just a couple weeks. I've never seen any indication from him that it causes any discomfort, and he's kind of a ninny.

When I do nails, I first grind the nail at an angle that would be perpendicular to the floor, if the dog were in a standing position. I then grind under the nail to smooth and remove anything that has chipped, then I round the edges. I used to think that the soft underside (the "meat") was sensitive, when actually it's not at all. I basically grind all the way around the quick, bring the nail back to the tip of it, wait a few days, and repeat. It recedes very quickly without any discomfort to the dog, and I have the desired nail shape.

Now, I've been grinding nails for a while, and Dylan is very cooperative. I go in tiny increments, sometimes barely touching the dremel to the nail, in my approach to the quick, so as not to quick him. I wouldn't recommend doing it my way to anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with dremeling nails, and a relatively cooperative dog.

• Like Like x 6
  14. SonLight

SonLight Member

Wow, thank you! I do use a dremel and my toy poodle and sheltie are great....but will you do my pug? :D

• Like Like x 4
  15. zmchristopher

zmchristopher Notable member

:thumbsup: That is a BRILLIANT video!! :ty:

• Like Like x 4
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh my gosh, I had a Pedipaws for our Sheltie just to have the guard for all of that long hair. It would scare the heck out of me to even go near that hair with a regular dremel.... :eek: Don't you have any problems catching hair with your Sheltie, or do you have the guard too?

• Like Like x 4
  17. DoubleDogDare

Try getting a knee-high panty hose and putting it over your Sheltie's paw, and then pulling through only the nails. That might work to hold back all the hair, giving you better visibility and much better peace of mind!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Nick

Nick Notable member

Excellent video Jess!!! I like it :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. danceswithjuno

danceswithjuno Hot Topics Subscriber

That is a fabulous tutorial on grinding nails! I love how your dogs are so calm about it. I didn't know about the white dot being an indication of the quick. Good to know! I learned how to use the dremal with my first girl Sula. Her breeder showed me how but I thought her method was a bit harsh as she always made her dog's nails bleed. No wonder her dogs hate having their nails done. Over the years Sula and I got the technique down to where she trusted me and knew I wouldn't hurt her. Plus she got major treats. Juno doesn't like it but she doesn't fight me either. We sit on a couch (she lays down on the couch with her head on the armrest) and she gets lots of treats. My daughter's dog Avalanche sits with us and watches. I try to keep to a weekly schedule too. It's interesting how one paw is more sensitive than the other 3 paws. Do you find this to be true with your dogs? For Sula it was both of her back paw. For Juno it is her right front paw.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Deepblue

Deepblue Notable member

I cant watch these videos,I have a mac book air and it always SAYS Install Plugin :complain::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::complain:
    What the hec is a plug in,I hate computers:machinegun: some has to help me Please:furious:
    BTW we use a demel as well.

• Like Like x 2