• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

MyPetCarnivore opinions....?

Zippo

Anyone order from here? I'm interested in feeding raw and wanted to start with the whole animal mixes so the ratios are correct.

I have not! Ollie is the one that keeps popping up when I do my internet rounds. The options they recommend for Rubie is $75/week (she's about 55lbs and should gain some) but I think they just came out with smaller plans for those who want to mix or whatever. The pre-ground stuff might be good to start with but I would recommend buying a cheap digital scale and using that when you start out. You'll learn to eye ball stuff pretty quick! I would always aim for meat that was under $2/lb and stock up and have a massive 'prep' day about once a month. I also bought a grinder (not necessary if your pup chews properly) and did chicken wings, rabbit, what have you, on prep day and then just portioned everything out (including the hearts, livers, tripes, etc.) into cheap plastic containers, put everything in the freezer and thawed as needed. It's a little overwhelming at first but then it almost became therapeutic. Weird, right? That was the way I was able to do it cheapish (Tobie had upwards of 4lbs of food a day so even at under $1-$2/lb, it adds up). Darn it if I can't find a 'prep day' picture!

I have not! Ollie is the one that keeps popping up when I do my internet rounds. The options they recommend for Rubie is $75/week (she's about 55lbs and should gain some) but I think they just came out with smaller plans for those who want to mix or whatever. The pre-ground stuff might be good to start with but I would recommend buying a cheap digital scale and using that when you start out. You'll learn to eye ball stuff pretty quick! I would always aim for meat that was under $2/lb and stock up and have a massive 'prep' day about once a month. I also bought a grinder (not necessary if your pup chews properly) and did chicken wings, rabbit, what have you, on prep day and then just portioned everything out (including the hearts, livers, tripes, etc.) into cheap plastic containers, put everything in the freezer and thawed as needed. It's a little overwhelming at first but then it almost became therapeutic. Weird, right? That was the way I was able to do it cheapish (Tobie had upwards of 4lbs of food a day so even at under $1-$2/lb, it adds up). Darn it if I can't find a 'prep day' picture!
Good info! I know what you mean about it being therapeutic, it makes you feel good haha. My plan was to do the ground mixes, rotating proteins, and adding eggs or sardines on top. How often should you rotate protein sources?

I order from rawfeedingmiami.com you should rotate fairly often but at the beginning you don't really need to worry about that cuz you want them getting used to it. If you go raw take him totally off kibble. I don't like ground, some crushing and chewing the bone keeps their teeth nice and clean, and gives nice muscles in the face. Mine get about 3 different proteins a night. Last night it was pork, beef and chicken feet :)

The group that guided me when I started said start with something bland like chicken and then add like a pork or turkey after a few weeks - I didn't add liver or organs until a few weeks in either. They seemed to think you should have three regular proteins to keep things rounded (chicken, turkey, beef and pork were my go to's because that's what was cheap in my area). Some meals were entirely one protein and some where mixes of several. New proteins were added a little at a time. I've been out of the raw feeding game for about a year and I know there are several different ways to do it. Their poo is the best way to tell if what you're given them is agreeing with them. I'm sure other folks on here will have some good advice, too!

I believe @WiglWerm does. They are a reputable company.

I don't believe there is any exact science to rotating the protein (ie: YOU HAVE TO feed x proteins a day). Just remember, variety is key. Some offer different protein every night, every week, every other week etc. Just keep as much variety as you can manage and afford. Waiting for a sale and stocking up isn't going to hurt. :)

I agree to try to stick to as whole as possible. Having muscle and bone to chew on helps keep the teeth clean. Ground mixes don't. They are ok if you find a good deal and add in a little bit, but you still want those big pieces for them to chew on.

I order from rawfeedingmiami.com you should rotate fairly often but at the beginning you don't really need to worry about that cuz you want them getting used to it. If you go raw take him totally off kibble. I don't like ground, some crushing and chewing the bone keeps their teeth nice and clean, and gives nice muscles in the face. Mine get about 3 different proteins a night. Last night it was pork, beef and chicken feet :)
I just checked out rawfeedingmiami, i was looking at the beginners pack that comes with everything you need at $100 for 55lbs. Seems like a good deal since I'm spending the same for 26.5lbs of Orijen kibble.

I agree to try to stick to as whole as possible. Having muscle and bone to chew on helps keep the teeth clean. Ground mixes don't. They are ok if you find a good deal and add in a little bit, but you still want those big pieces for them to chew on.

Yes! As I've mentioned on other posts, my Tobes swallowed things whole which lead to an emergency room visit and surgery. That's why he got ground bone daily and the occasional shoulder bone to gnaw on but that is not typical.

I just checked out rawfeedingmiami, i was looking at the beginners pack that comes with everything you need at $100 for 55lbs. Seems like a good deal since I'm spending the same for 26.5lbs of Orijen kibble.

Do you know how many pounds he needs/day? I think the typical amount for adults is 3-4% of their body weight but it's definitely more for a puppy. 55lbs probably won't last long but you'll need fridge/freezer space to keep it all. THAT was my biggest challenge!!

Yep :) very good deal :) after Athena is done with her taste of the wild she will be switching to raw :)

Do you know how many pounds he needs/day? I think the typical amount for adults is 3-4% of their body weight but it's definitely more for a puppy. 55lbs probably won't last long but you'll need fridge/freezer space to keep it all. THAT was my biggest challenge!!
Right lol my dogs have their own freezer lol

Yes! As I've mentioned on other posts, my Tobes swallowed things whole which lead to an emergency room visit and surgery. That's why he got ground bone daily and the occasional shoulder bone to gnaw on but that is not typical.

Oh I understand! I just wanted to clarify for a dog that is perfectly fine chewing that whole is the best option. I've already planned out possible grinders in the future if they have issues chewing because of old age. So scary that happened to your boy! I imagine its very very rare but I would want to take precautions too after a scare like that. At least he could still chew muscle meat? Even whole muscle helps clean their teeth because of sinking their teeth in and having to grind, and chew.

I agree, you'll go flying through that package in no time. Because raw is largely made up of water, they eat way more in terms of weight on raw than they do on kibble. I personally buy locally and save a ton that way but I know others prefer to have the convenience of pre-made and selected for them. Its really down to what you want to budget and have the time for! There are a bunch of great resources that explains the ratios easily for you in case you would like to learn to do it on your own. :)

Raw Feeding Guide For Puppies Has %s for puppies.
Raw Feeding Transition Guide For Dogs
Raw Muscle Meat Feeding Guide
Safe Raw Edible Bone Guide
Raw Organ/Offal & Liver Feeding Guide

Oh I understand! I just wanted to clarify for a dog that is perfectly fine chewing that whole is the best option. I've already planned out possible grinders in the future if they have issues chewing because of old age. So scary that happened to your boy! I imagine its very very rare but I would want to take precautions too after a scare like that. At least he could still chew muscle meat? Even whole muscle helps clean their teeth because of sinking their teeth in and having to grind, and chew.

I agree, you'll go flying through that package in no time. Because raw is largely made up of water, they eat way more in terms of weight on raw than they do on kibble. I personally buy locally and save a ton that way but I know others prefer to have the convenience of pre-made and selected for them. Its really down to what you want to budget and have the time for! There are a bunch of great resources that explains the ratios easily for you in case you would like to learn to do it on your own. :)

Raw Feeding Guide For Puppies Has %s for puppies.
Raw Feeding Transition Guide For Dogs
Raw Muscle Meat Feeding Guide
Safe Raw Edible Bone Guide
Raw Organ/Offal & Liver Feeding Guide
That's why I like raw feeding Miami, they have meats I can't get around here but they aren't pre made. I actually like creating my dogs menus lol

That's why I like raw feeding Miami, they have meats I can't get around here but they aren't pre made. I actually like creating my dogs menus lol
I'm definitely going to be ordering from them, the price isn't much different from mypetcarnivore and I like the beginners pack so I can get the hang of it.

I'm definitely going to be ordering from them, the price isn't much different from mypetcarnivore and I like the beginners pack so I can get the hang of it.
They are really good :) I am also going to be ordering from darwins natural just for boneless and variety :)

No, I order through a Co-op from Carnivore Carry out. They have whole meats as well as grinds. I would suggest finding a co-op in your area, makes it ALOT cheaper.

Yes, we have a chest freezer and went out and purchased a stand up (off Craigslist) as well...I am an official MEAT HOARDER. LOL I bought 8 pork butt roasts today (bought the store out) cause they were on sale. hehehe

Back