Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My dog smells terrible

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Fstuff92, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Fstuff92

Fstuff92 New Member

I've looked trough old posts about this issue but just wanted to reach out in hopes of some advice. Our dobie is 8 months old. Other than play time most of his time is spent indoors. Due to his foul smell (which he's had for the 4 months we've had him) we bathe him once a week using a dog friendly oatmeal shampoo. After a couple of days the smell is back and continues to get worse. We've have not had him to the vet for this issue but plan to soon. He's been on 4 different foods if you count the one the the person we got him from was using. No noticeable change among any of the foods. The first one we used was a "high quality" puppy food purchased from a pet store based on the recommendations of the guy at the pet store. We were using Wellness complete large breed puppy food and he's now eating Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy food. He does seem to have a good amount of flakes / dandruff as well. His fur is where the smell is concentrated, especially on his back and neck. He has a nice looking coat that usually gets compliments. No smell from ears or rear end.

Any thoughts on a possible solution ?

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unfortunately bathing him so frequently is probably making him smell worse rather than better. As you're completely stripping him of all his natural oils, he will be producing more and more of them to try to replace them and this could possibly be giving him his terrible smell. Not rinsing throughly can also lead to coat problems, too. When you think you are done, rinse again.
    So maybe less bathing and more brushing to stimulate his natural oils, just a thought.
    Oh, and the oatmeal shampoo’s can sometimes make them flake more and dry out the skin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I was going to say to much bathing as well. That will dry out their coat and cause dandruff as well. Ours get baths maybe 3-4 times a year. Usually just give them a quick wipe down with a wet whip on occasion.

4. Fstuff92

Fstuff92 New Member

Thanks for the tips. You two may very well be correct but unfortunately he had this smell when we first got him.
    That's why we started bathing him in the first place. Perhaps it would be best to go as long as we can stand without bathing along with making sure he's well rinsed and see if there is an improvement. Otherwise I guess the next step with be a trip to the Vet for skin testing, just trying to avoid that bill.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I was going to ask what does it smells like? Smell like Fritos, Yeasty, Musty or is he Itchy? Smell his feet and ears. Maybe stop using shampoos that contain Oatmeal. Some dogs have Grain Allergies. Sometimes the Oatmeal can trigger yeast in the dog. Look for an all Organic shampoo with no Oatmeal in it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Bad smells usually make me think infections. But in this case I doubt thats the issue. I never had luck with oatmeal shampoos myself, and have been bathing my boy in Earthbath Ultra Mild Puppy Shampoo.

I bathe my dog more often than some. Maybe once a month. So a gentle shampoo is important. If I were you id consider bathing less than once a week and maybe apply coconut oil once in a while to his fur. A little goes a long way and make sure you rub it in good.

Does anyone believe there could be a medical issue going on that causes this?

• Like Like x 2
  7. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Have you looked at the thread “my fawn Doberman smells so bad”.

8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Ya that’s too much bathing. If he’s actually dirty or gets into a mess, then it’s fine, but I agree it will be better to reduce the baths and use wet wipes instead and use a brush to keep the oils spread through the coat. Can also add Apple Cider Vinegar in his food to combat any yeasty developments plus it benefits the coat.

Re the food, I don’t recall those being good brands, I may be wrong as we raw feed, but you definitely don’t want to feed puppy food - All Life Stages is what you need to find.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I had a foster red boy that would smell like an old wet shoe my son left in a hot trunk. Turned out to be Pyoderma.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If he is smelly after all this you need to have him checked out by the vet. He may have immune issues that are affecting the the dermis, epidermis. He may need a medicated shampoo after skin evaluation is done. Could easily be a bacterial dermatitis or fungal but you need to see the vet and find out exactly what is occurring so it can be corrected.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Rocky had a bad Oder and lots of flakes after an allergic reaction to an antibiotic, is he currently on any prescriptions?

12. Fstuff92

Fstuff92 New Member

He is not, and he's had this smell since we've got him. We've recently used a medicated shampoo and extended the time between baths (as much as we can) and his smell does seem much improved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

This is both highly descriptive, disgusting, and funny :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Seriously, I remember taking him fishing, he threw his wet shoes in the trunk, and they were in there for a few days... IN FLORIDA.

• Wow x 2
  15. Fstuff92

Fstuff92 New Member

Wanted to update. After using the medicated shampoo that treats seborrhea we now have a non-smelly dog. We tried a number of things before using the medicated shampoo but this has eliminated the issue. Thank everyone for your help / advice.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

. Keep an eye on this, or nose, we had one dobe with allergies and her skin smelled. The medicated shampoo will help but amount of baths could be a problem. As with DobermanGang we spot clean in between, they do have sensitive skin and let their own oils soothe their skin. Also, fish oil, coconut oil is good for them. Hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fstuff92

Fstuff92 New Member

Thanks Rodyboy. Thankfully we haven't had to give him a bath in well over a month. Before the smell was unbearable so we had no choice. After first using the shampoo we doubled the bath interval and since have extended that even further.

• Like Like x 1