My Doberman is to skinny

My Doberman ( Tommy ) he is 2 years old now and he is really active and love's to play with the other dogs , but he is really skinny it looks like I never feed him or he just never gets food but he eats a lot and he has a really dry skin and really thin hair I've tried changing his shampoo to make his skin less dry but it doesn't work and his eye's are sore , he doesn't want us to look at it and how his ear looks is how parts of his legs and tail looked when we got him from the adoption place , but most of it is gone accept his ears. Any advice for me plz ?

Attachments

• 1555841436655849133339.jpg
    1555841436655849133339.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 15558414925151264620999.jpg
    15558414925151264620999.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 1555841567776257655025.jpg
    1555841567776257655025.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 155584165390479516628.jpg
    155584165390479516628.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 48
What do you feed him? How much?

As far as giving baths, lots of people recommend not bathing often because it can dry out the skin. Both of my dogs are mud daubers so frequent baths are a must in this house. I use a gentle shampoo and rinse really,REALLY well.
I also give krill oil and/or coconut oil as part of the many toppers on their food.

Not much he eats every evening a bowl full and what my other dog doesn't finish he also eats that and throughout the day he gets treats when I see him and I don't bath him a lot only when he go play in something that stinks or so and I tried the oil on this food but that just upsets his tummy

I'm a first time Dobe owner so can't give too much advice but my Zeus is going on 22 months and we still feed him about 3 cups in the morning and 3 at night. Instead of doing the "bowl full" at night try to split it to 2 or even 3 feedings.

Best of luck!

He looks as though the food you are feeding him is not working. What does your vet say?

How is his energy level? How long have you had him? Has he lost weight since you’ve had him or has he always been thin? Any changes in his behavior? Are the eyes being sore a new symptom or has he never let you look at them. Also curious if you’ve gotten a vet to look at his eyes and checked for any medical issues that may be the cause of his weight.

He may have conjunctivitis in his eyes which would require an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment to resolve it. First the vet would do a Schimer tear test and flurostain to check for corneal injuries or ulcerations. I would have his thyroid checked since he has thinning hair. I would feed him at least twice a day away from other dogs so he gets all his own food. Free choice feeding is not really a good idea. IMO

What brand of food are you feeding him. Some foods do not have adequate digestible proteins and calories in them. Can you take a picture of the ingredients list on your bag of food and share it with us?

I’m also interested on what you feed him. Is he on a low-quality commercial dog food? Or, maybe he’s getting an improperly balanced homemade diet, mostly chicken? He may not be getting enough nutrients to keep his skin and coat healthy.
If he’s on a ‘low-fat’ diet his coat will appear dull and dandruffy. This is from a lack of Omega-6. Fortunately, most commercial dog foods are high/rich in Omega-6 (fatty acids) this helps to give back the shine in the coat and will help to replace the oils in the skin.

Does he scratch himself, too much? Do you think he’s over bathed? Over bathing will contribute to the loss of oils from his skin.

How do you store the commercial dog food bag? If that’s what you’re feeding.
Dog food that contain essential fatty acids, if exposed to air can oxidize. You don’t want an open bag hanging around for weeks on end.

Rather than just filling a bowl in the evening and giving him treats throughout the day I would certainly give him 2-3 set meal times a day. Either morning & early evening or 3 smaller meals, morning, lunch and teatime.

Lastly, do you keep him outside all the time?

he gets treats when I see him
Poor fella, he does look way too thin. If he is spending time away from his people, that can help explain him being too skinny. Dobermans are quite Velcro, sometimes when the dog is boarded, for example, people have reported their dog coming back looking this skinny and it is due to the stress of separation. Some of them really can't handle it. Just another idea to consider. But I would get the eyes checked out ASAP.

Vet checked?
What brand of food are you feeding?
How are his stools? Solid, Mud Pies, Water diarrhea?
Have his stool checked for any worms or parasites?
Have a skin scraping done?

Adding in a good Omega 3 Fish Oil, Sardines, Raw Egg.
Maybe adding in an Pre Probiotic and Probiotic in his food. Also an enzyme to help.
Similar to these below.
th

419Kc2VmmBL._AC_UL320_.jpg

@TommyTheDoberman I don't think you've answered us on the type of food you were feeding him. It's an important part of the equation to help you.

Tommy is certainly too thin and needs more meals throughout the day. Depending on what you're feeding him, you can top his food with sardines, yogurt, eggs. There are several threads here on nutrition. Also several good suggestions right here in this thread.

he gets treats when I see him a
I'm curious what you mean by, "when I see him". Is he outside all day? Dobermans don't do well without their people. They aren't the type of breed that does well alone.

Back