• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

My Doberman attacked me

Sarah23

Novitiate
Hello i have a question I have a 1 year old male Dobbie (who is not neutered) and him and I are very close and he’s behaving perfectly fine until today an accident happened he was playing with my friend everything was fine until I hear him cry he ran toward me and I kissed him and he started growling and next thing I knew he lunged at me he attack me and I pushed him away and he re -attacked me I got the back of my ear split a bit but no biting mark cus he grabbed on my shirt. I don’t know what to do maybe I did smth wrong??

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Exactly what made him cry? Need to find that out. He could have been still in pain when he came back to you.

Sorry but I would never with a dog in pain, get my face close enough and kiss them. Doberman or not, your own dog or not, a dog in pain as well as any dog can redirect their pain and bite you.

This happened to me once. Our one Dobe either had a neck issue or a pinched nerve in its front shoulder. Anytime he would get down from the couch he would yelp. We were taking him for cold laser therapy. We just got to his vet appointment. Opening the car door, I grabbed his chest harness so he wouldn't have to jump out of the car. Well, when he placed his front legs on the ground, he let out this scream. He then jumped up in front of me at the same time I raised my arm up in front of my face and he then bit my arm. He then let go and jumped up again and bit my other hand. He then sat down with his back against the car and just stared into space for a few minutes.
I'm sure he didn't know what he was doing. Mybe thought I was hurting him or just redirecting.

Moral of the story ANY dog can bite even our own.

As I mentioned you need to find out what made him cry. Ask your friend what happened.

Keep us posted.

Sarah23

Novitiate
thank you for your answer :) you’re right I didn’t have the right reflex I should have checked what he had first…

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I agree that if he yelped and ran to you he was in some kind of pain and their reactions are from the pain, not you. Ask your friend if they saw anything and perhaps take him to the vet if he still doesn't seem right.

I once took a hard bite in the face from our family dog, who was sweet as can be but he was hit by a car and when I touched a sore spot the pain made him react. It totally wasn't his fault but I was a kid at the time and not as careful as I should have been.

Sarah23

Novitiate
Little update on the dog I went to the vet and nothing came out wrong no pain anywhere and today he was fine and all gentle and he went and sat on my mom’s lap like he used too and she pet him just same as usual and he started growling at mom just like he did to me the other day she pushed him away so he didn’t attack her but i am very shocked at his behavior because he has never acted like this before I don’t understand he was always super cuddly and so nice outta nowhere since he turned one 3 days ago he changed I am really lost and all of ideas of what to do… everyone is scared to approach him

Sarah23

Novitiate
it’s not normal for him to growl like this but most important his family. He’s not in pain he wasn’t in a situation of stress I don’t know what’s going on all of this started 2 days ago out of nowhere my family is scared of him which is not helping his behavior is so random too because he didn’t growl right after she started to pet him it’s was a few minutes later

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm glad that he checked out ok medically so that's a relief.

Sorry I haven't got any brilliant ideas but if I had this situation I would try keeping him off laps and furniture and keep petting lowkey and without crowding. Also stepping up the play interactions in place of petting might help, maybe. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Hi.

Quite frankly, I'm reading some things here that are of concern. The lap-sitting. The kissing. I just doesn't seem like you have a real good grasp of how to handle a dog. I know that sounds harsh, but problems can stem from this.

The dog may have gotten conditioned to these unadvisable arrangements and is not seeing your family as above him in the pack order. Now that your family feels scared of him, and is reacting in ways that show the dog he can dominate and push you around – what's more, they say dogs can sense fear – it may be amplifying or worsening the problem.

I know I cannot, and never have been able to, afford a trainer or behaviorist, but I researched dog training extensively. I think, barring any health problems, your dog just needs to be taken back to the basics in training and the way he is being handled. Every human in the household needs to be on board.

I hope it goes well. This breed is great, but we mustn't forget their core nature. They are great companions and very loving, but were designed to be guard dogs, not lap dogs or just complete lovey-dovey softy dogs.

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Little update on the dog I went to the vet and nothing came out wrong no pain anywhere and today he was fine and all gentle and he went and sat on my mom’s lap like he used too and she pet him just same as usual and he started growling at mom just like he did to me the other day she pushed him away so he didn’t attack her but i am very shocked at his behavior because he has never acted like this before I don’t understand he was always super cuddly and so nice outta nowhere since he turned one 3 days ago he changed I am really lost and all of ideas of what to do… everyone is scared to approach him

Great you took him to get checked out medically. But he is still acting out. But did you ask your friend exactly what happened?

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
@Sarah23
Just wondering when did your Dobe recently or when did he have his last Rabies Vaccine?

From Dr. Will Falconer, DVM
Here’s an all too common story, shared by Lesa Shoopman:

Hi, I have a dog that got a rabies vax at 18 months (first and only). It has changed him over the last 5 months. He is also intact and coming of age so my current vet thinks it's that. (emphasis mine)
We have tried 3 homeopathic remedies in case of miasm and in some aspects he improved and in others he is picking up more symptoms.
Symptoms:
Hypersexual
Aggressive towards dogs he used to play with
Fearful
Pacing and nervous
Less cuddly
Drools when he sees food
Do I have any insights?

I, too, have seen cases of rabies symptoms in rabies vaccinated animals, repeatedly. And heard many more second hand stories like Lesa’s.

The most striking incrimination of rabies vaccine as a potential cause comes from repeated observations among homeopathic vets. We've been seeing and discussing this for decades.

Rabies vaccination is highly correlated with those animals who changed behaviors since their shot.

Correlation? Yes.

Causation? It seems likely, as the symptoms match so closely between the rabies vaccinated and the actual rabid animal. And they "weren't that way" before the rabies vaccine made its entrance into their body.

[For more on this connection, aka “rabies vaccinosis,” please join my free Rabies Short Course]

In this case, I shared my concerns with Lesa re: neutering, from research and real world experience I wrote about on this page: http://vitalanimal.com/neutering/

While all sorts of things go wrong when you remove the “hormone factories,” be they ovaries or testicles, one thing seemed clear from a large research study having to do with dog aggression.

Particularly: aggression in neutered males.

To quote from the study,

This large, comprehensive study of the relationships between gonadectomy and aggressive behavior in dogs demonstrates that when the many factors affecting aggressive behavior are considered, there is no evidence that gonadectomy at any age alters aggressive behavior toward familiar people or dogs, and there is only a minimal increase in aggression toward strangers.
In some other studies, aggression actually GOT WORSE.

One showed “neutered male dogs were twice as likely to bite as intact males in a Canadian study (Guy et al., 2001)”

So, if you’re considering neutering (or worse, admonished to do it because it will stop or prevent male aggression), this is another chance to take a breath, pause, and say,

“Let me think this through carefully. I'll get back to you, Doctor.”

Kaiser2016

Quite frankly, I'm reading some things here that are of concern. The lap-sitting. The kissing. I just doesn't seem like you have a real good grasp of how to handle a dog. I know that sounds harsh, but problems can stem from this.

The dog may have gotten conditioned to these unadvisable arrangements and is not seeing your family as above him in the pack order. Now that your family feels scared of him, and is reacting in ways that show the dog he can dominate and push you around – what's more, they say dogs can sense fear – it may be amplifying or worsening the problem.
Totally agree with this!

How are things going now @Sarah23 ?

Love Dobermans

Hello i have a question I have a 1 year old male Dobbie (who is not neutered) and him and I are very close and he’s behaving perfectly fine until today an accident happened he was playing with my friend everything was fine until I hear him cry he ran toward me and I kissed him and he started growling and next thing I knew he lunged at me he attack me and I pushed him away and he re -attacked me I got the back of my ear split a bit but no biting mark cus he grabbed on my shirt. I don’t know what to do maybe I did smth wrong??
Sarah you might want to read about Rage Syndrome in dogs. Years ago I had a Samoyed that when anyone would raise their voice her would growl and show his teeth. Fortunately he never showed any other agrression. I know of another Dobe owner that experienced rage syndrome in a Dobe.