Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My dobbie’s ear is weird. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Genta, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Genta

Genta Jr Member

My dobbie, Noya, is 4 months old and on his second month of having his ears cropped. The ears can now stand 4 days without collapsing although tips somestimes curls (which i correct everytime). It going good and everything but there is one slight problem. His right ear(left in the pictures) tends to shift/lean towards the inside. Yes, both ears can stand straight and upwards when he is in specific position (sitting) but when he is running or not so focused the ears lean inside. And I noted that the same ear is also more responsive than the other, when I whistle it reacts while the left don’t. Is anyone facing the same problem? And what should I do? First two pics is when the ears are standing upright and the last two when it leans.

Attached Files:

2. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Sorry for blurred and dark pictures, it was hard to take pics when the ears leans

3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Don't leave the ears unposted for so long. Post for 3-4 days, unwrap and clean thoroughly, let dry completely (30 min max) and repost. At this age, the longer you leave them unposted gives them a chance to break down. They need the continuous support.

You can add a "BUMBER" on the post at the base of the ear to push out a pocket that is forming. This is the only video I could find quick, but it shows you where the problem is on the ear and where to place the 'bumper'.

4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You stated, “The ears can now stand 4 days without collapsing although tips somestimes curls” and this is only at 4months?

You are gambling with his ears getting tired and collapsing. Too many times of this and the ears form a crease and bend. Too many times of this and you get failed ears that will not stand.

Not being mean but stop doing this.... do what Panama says above or else you may have a Doberman that has one ear stand and the other does not.

It absolutely can be done, just have to be consistent and stick with it. I posted continuously through 7.5months.

Good luck and welcome from Louisiana.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

I will also sound like a broken record but posting is up and down long enough to clean I build posts before unposting and precut the zonas tape and am ready to go my pups got very little rest unposted. And supplementing vitamin c can be helpful.

6. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Thank you for the advice. I thought it was just not in sync. By the way for clarification are the picture attached below a ear pocket?

Attached Files:

7. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

In the first picture, I circled where the inside is bulging inward. You can see the "button" and the inward crease.That's what makes the pocket on the outside of the ear causing it to lean or flop over the head. The second picture is where I would put the bumpers (behind the post), pull the ear upward nice and tall and press against the post. The bumper will push that pocket out. Could take several postings.

pocket.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Thank you very much. I just redid his post with pocket out. I feel like in posting instructions they often forget to mention about the pockets. I had a dobbie twice now and only heard of it yesterday☹️