1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My breeder said im over training my 11 month old girl

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by seven, Jun 21, 2019.

1. seven

seven New Member

Hi I am hoping someone can shed light on this, I train my girl officially once a week for agility , she has passed C.G C. and the STAR puppy, now beginners agility. She has ever since we had her age 4 moths had " cow paddy styled poo" we have been to the vet w her more than we ever have with our 9 year old Frenchie....at home she does 10 min of training then ending w play . We also enjoy walks and outings as well . I reached out to the breeder to ask her advice and she outright said I was stressing my girl out, and ruining her by over training. Any feelings on this? Is she correct ? I would never put my girls health in peril , never thinking I was doing wrong and our vet is fully aware of the classes finished and on going and had no worries

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  2. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like your breeder is trying to pass the buck...

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Keeping a young dog active, especially with training........no.... I don't think it's too much. As long as jumps aren't involved yet and you aren't road working her (15-18 mo). If she is having fun and always engaged with the training, why not!!!

Have you tried canned pumpkin in her food for the loose stools?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

Our guy had lose poops, from the day we brought him home, that was corrected when we transitioned him to a new food. Same exact routine and life, but no food, and we had a solid poop!!

Have you discussed the possibility of it being the food with your vet?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You breeder does not seem to like the idea of training at a young age. Anything can cause cow patty poop.

As @Panama said, no jumping until 18mos. but training everyday multiple times a day is a good thing. This breed wants to work and learn. They need a job to do and you are providing that. The earlier they learn new things the easier it is to teach new things as they mature.
    I would not listen to your breeder because what she had to offer is incorrect IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I've been training my lab puppy on agility foundation work (NO jumping or full height contacts) since he was 5 months old. They love having a job! Weave poles can be hard on their shoulders so I waited until he was 15 months to start training anything past running through two poles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How old is she now? What do you feed her? She might have a food intolerance. It sounds like it’s been going on for sometime. Maybe it’s worth taking a sample of her stool to the vets so that they can potentially identify the cause of such loose stools.
    You could always try adding pumpkin or sweet potato to her diet.
    Is the stool ever ‘normal’ or constantly like what you’ve described?

As for the breeder, he/she is talking nonsense.

*EDIT* - I’ve just seen 11 months

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. seven

seven New Member

Thank you all for replying . She is training on grass only but we do walk her of sidewalk if it is not to hot, have been doing early evenings so temp is cooler, we had all blood work done including the test for Wonwhilmers, we did this for her safety need be , had stool done three times all neg. tried pro biotiks ( sp ).from the vet, we now are switching food as per vet they are stumped too, she just had a abdominal ultrasound to be safe came back good no blockage. I will try the pumpkin once we see how new food goes putting her on Royal Cannine for stomach issues, our Frenchie has been on it for years, the breeder had her on a different brand and we tried to stay with it. She does not do any jumpers higher that an ankle off the ground except when she jumps for her freezibie. Lol. She is a devoted and loving member of our home and when the breeder said that I was ruining her i almost cried, she sleeps with her boy, aka my son and is his BF. She does pull when on walks abit but she is still young, she is 70lbs and 23 at the withers. Thank You ALL again

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Cow paddy pooh:

This started with Ragnar at about 11months. Couldn’t figure out why all of a sudden it came on. Same routine, same food, nothing out of ordinary. Switched food twice, still cow paddy pooh.

Figured it out three weeks ago. His favorite, die for, treat was causing it....cheese. He absolutely LOVES CHEESE. He will do anything for cheese.

Welp....eliminated the cheese and now have solid poop.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Our guy was on fromm with a chicken base and had soft poop from when we brought him home until we switched at 9.5 months. We had talked to our breeder who said the mom had a chicken intolerance. Half way though our switch to victor ocean fish (which still has some chicken stock) we finally saw a solid poop, and consistently! This was the first time.

It sounds like you have ruled our many of the other possibilities so im hoping it's just as simple as changing the food for you guys too. Best of luck and let it know how it goes! Im sure you already know but id take the transition slow, we did ours over a month period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Viemarangelrock

Royal Canin is a poor choice of kibble, imo. It’s generally rated poorly on the independent food sites. They use extremely low-quality ingredients - animal by-products and derivatives and low-quality grain. Grain is used as it is inexpensive and gives it bulk. Some foods will contain up to 65% grain. Most grains in the food end up going in one end and coming out the other.

In the UK we use Search All About Dog Food

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Viemarangelrock

“Virtually all of the Royal Canin range is based heavily on poultry meal, white rice, maize and wheat, none of which are particularly desirable in a dog food. Poultry meal is ok but it is always best to look for meats with named animal meat sources (like chicken, turkey, duck etc.); white rice is little more than a starchy filler while maize and wheat have both been consistently linked to dietary intolerance and digestive problems.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Nooooooo! Not the cheese! Try another cheese then, lol, less fatty or less processed will help. Cheese gives Kaiser smelly gas so we try to use it only when we’ll be outside, or we time it so that by the time he starts gassing it up, he’ll be alone with his smells overnight.

Re the cow patties, for us the issue was kibble. No kibble could keep him solid. On raw his poops are perfection.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

As others have stated, don’t think it’s over stressing. However, my dude had giardia for months and months without it being properly diagnosed until I switched to a new vet. Are the fecal samples being tested for anti bodies? Or cysts?

Also, I would stay away from royal k9, hills and all “prescription diets”. They’re all doo doo. A lot of us here feed raw, which is what I feed. However, I feed kibble twice a week (Orijen Six Fish) which is a 5 star rated kibble. (Only feeding until anchovies comeback in season and I can get them at my local raw feeding store).

You can use www.dogfoodadvisor.com to find a quality kibble. You want one that’s rated 4 or more stars!

15. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I was also thinking along the lines of treats - what are you using during training? If you’re using food - just use her kibble or a tug toy instead of food.
    Are you using any other “treats” - bully sticks, cow ears, etc? Mine will get loose stool if I give it too often.

16. seven

seven New Member

Ive taken all the advice, I will NOT do Royal C, and start using her kibble for treats. Im leaning towards a raw diet for both of my dogs. London is her normal self we are just on pins and needles , guess its a waiting game.

• Like Like x 3
  17. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

@seven have you seen any improvement?

@strykerdobe what is that supplement you recommended for loose stool? Something clay maybe?

18. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Do you know the cause?
    Can use various things.

[​IMG]

Look for USDA/Organic
    A Complete Guide to Using Slippery Elm for Pets - Dr. Axe

Dr. Axe | Health and Fitness News, Recipes, Natural Remediesslippery-elm-for-pets
    Jun 14, 2017 · Slippery elm (Ulmus fulva) is a happy exception to the fears and cautions surrounding the use of herbs in animals. In fact, slippery elm for pets is very safe and nontoxic. The part of the tree used is the inner bark, which is soft and stringy. Its texture, however, can make it challenging to use. It doesn’t succumb easily to a mortar and pestle, so it may be easiest to buy it in capsule form, which is …
    Author: Jean Hofve, DVM

• Like Like x 1
  19. strykerdobe

The Soothing Qualities of Slippery Elm
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-soothing-qualities-of-slippery-elm
    Slippery Elm For Dogs. Here are three ways slippery elm can help ease your dog’s discomfort: 1. Diarrhea. Slippery elm is recommended for acute cases of diarrhea, as well as for conditions like colitis and stomach irritations.

20. strykerdobe

Can also use Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Only. This helps to detox the Digestive System. Helps remove worms, toxins and lots of other things.
    Diatomaceous Earth for Dogs
    https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/blogs/learning-center/diatomaceous-earth-for-dogs
    Diatomaceous Earth for Dogs Wet Food
    . Remove the food from the can and add it to the dish. Dry Food. Method 1: One and Done. This method also helps deter insects that may be infesting your pet's food... Method 2: Damp Approach. Mix the dosage of DE with a quarter cup of water.