My "Backyard" Hiking

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
My place works really well for staying away from people. I have to admit the Stay-At-Home regulations haven't really affected my lifestyle except hiking more. And not getting the opportunity of exposing Asha to public places so she can see something besides the glorious forest. These photos taken in the Nat'l forest, all walking distance from my house:

P1000438.JPG fullsizeoutput_c4.jpeg P1000449.JPG

Beautiful! Can I come be your neighbor? For a while I rented a house within walking/running distance of a State Park. Yours there is awesome!

Asha is looking gorgeous!

In the third pic, does anyone see what I would probably name "Old Man Rock?"

As soon as I read your comment and looked back at the photo I found it immediately. How weird!

What a neat area to explore! I really wish I lived in a more rural area. I love my town, but when I buy my first house I will be strongly considering location based on outdoor hiking with my dog(s). Even better if I could afford a house with some wooded acreage. But my area is expensive for land.

The end of my little street dead ends at a 300 acre coffee farm with miles of trails as well as a nice river. Rarely anyone in there except at harvest time. It's like having my own backyard park!IMG_0687.jpg WP_20180322_16_20_35_Pro.jpg

Yes, really lucky if you live in an area that allows dogs good free running. I do too! But I really do envy you the National Parks that allow dogs. Ours here in Australia ban all domestic animals. A question - are you allowed to ride horses in your NPs?

My place works really well for staying away from people. I have to admit the Stay-At-Home regulations haven't really affected my lifestyle except hiking more. And not getting the opportunity of exposing Asha to public places so she can see something besides the glorious forest. These photos taken in the Nat'l forest, all walking distance from my house:

View attachment 107063 View attachment 107064 View attachment 107065
Officially jealous!! It is beautiful and how awesome for Asha to get out in nature!
Also your roomie’s Dutch Shep looks like she is enjoying herself.

Does that creek’s volume change much during the year? Would be an ideal time to get Asha running through it.
Yes, mostly dry in the summer until the rains begin. July/Aug is our rain season. Asha runs through it, over it, in it. It's about 5 - 12 inches right now.

Awesome you spotted that! Depends on time of day & shadows, but the photo was perfect, and will now be christened "Old Man Rock"!

It's like having my own backyard park!
Yours looks exciting too, just totally different! We have forest here too, but it's not lush green like you have.

But I really do envy you the National Parks that allow dogs. Ours here in Australia ban all domestic animals. A question - are you allowed to ride horses in your NPs?
All the parks are different here and some with different rules for different areas of the park. The one that I back up to is open to dogs & horses. And during certain times of the year there are deer, turkey, javelina hunting seasons, so then you get the hunters, bow season and rifle season for each. Many roads will attract 4-wheelers and motorcycles. There are areas where no motorized vehicles can go (pictures above, open only to hikers, horses & bicycles, but so rough only hikers would enjoy it). I'm also only 2 miles from the Continental Divide Trail, also no motorized vehicles, which runs from Mexico to Canada - very popular with hikers, some who attempt the whole thing! I avoid the popular trails and follow creek beds and cow trails.

Officially jealous!! It is beautiful and how awesome for Asha to get out in nature!
Also your roomie’s Dutch Shep looks like she is enjoying herself.
Awwwe, I'm jealous of your ocean every now and then too! Yeah, Reckless loves the hikes and the dogs get along, but Asha is a relentless terror so their only free time together is out on hikes. Reckless can run circles around Asha and zoomies are hysterical.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and to be sure, I sometimes envy those of you who can pick and choose trainers and lessons and clubs because you live in a city with multiple choices! Town is only 10 miles away, but a 30 minute drive.

Yes, really lucky if you live in an area that allows dogs good free running. I do too! But I really do envy you the National Parks that allow dogs. Ours here in Australia ban all domestic animals. A question - are you allowed to ride horses in your NPs?

What we found out when we took our road trip to Yellowstone was that you can camp with dogs at most national parks in the US but you cannot hike with them in very many places.

So many people with great properties! Someday we'll have space like that I hope but happy to live vicariously through your photos!!

When we drove downtown the other night, I realized that there are people quarantining in small apartments with no green space and possibly without even a balcony. I am that much more grateful that we have our yard and available outdoor spaces even if they're not expansive.

What we found out when we took our road trip to Yellowstone was that you can camp with dogs at most national parks in the US but you cannot hike with them in very many places.

So many people with great properties! Someday we'll have space like that I hope but happy to live vicariously through your photos!!

When we drove downtown the other night, I realized that there are people quarantining in small apartments with no green space and possibly without even a balcony. I am that much more grateful that we have our yard and available outdoor spaces even if they're not expansive.
Pretty much the same with our NP however there WAS little enforcement anytime we’ve been out. We went hiking on a stat holiday one time and the pet bylaws state that dogs are NOT allowed in the NP but we saw tons of dogs out. My guess is no one reads the bylaws when they become a pet owner, lol, but I remember being surprised by number of restrictions.

Re apartments, yes, I was thinking the same thing when an acquaintance got in touch recently. He lives in a great part of the city close to a lot of action but they are prohibited from using the elevator and aren’t allowed to take the stairs, so he’s allowed a 1 hr break to go outside. How it gets coordinated, I don’t know, but it seems so much more prohibitive than being in a house with a backyard. Makes us appreciate it a lot more, that’s for sure.

The end of my little street dead ends at a 300 acre coffee farm with miles of trails as well as a nice river.
That is gorgeous too!

I was thinking the same thing when an acquaintance got in touch recently. He lives in a great part of the city close to a lot of action but they are prohibited from using the elevator and aren’t allowed to take the stairs, so he’s allowed a 1 hr break to go outside.
There is no way I could do that and I'd definitely be pulling my hair out within the first week. I even felt cooped up staying in a hotel so long, even though I could come and go as I pleased.

I couldn’t imagine being stuck in an apartment with no yard. Id probably have to medicate myself and Jasper haha!! I have about 300sqft of garden beds I am removing and replacing at my house. Its keeping my mind and body busy. Ripping out shrubs and tilling/pulling huge roots. A lot of work. But without this I would be so bored. Im still working, but how can you not be outside with warmer weather? After this I have a couple trees to cut down and maybe we will install french drains. So, being stuck in an apartment would kill me lol

I couldn’t imagine being stuck in an apartment with no yard. Id probably have to medicate myself and Jasper haha!! I have about 300sqft of garden beds I am removing and replacing at my house. Its keeping my mind and body busy. Ripping out shrubs and tilling/pulling huge roots. A lot of work. But without this I would be so bored. Im still working, but how can you not be outside with warmer weather? After this I have a couple trees to cut down and maybe we will install french drains. So, being stuck in an apartment would kill me lol

Exactly! We ground down a stump, topped off and tilled the raised garden bed, put all new mulch down, I've been doing spring prep on a lot of the landscaping, just keeping ourselves moving!

We've talked about building a simple pergola but my husband isn't convinced. His brother loves those types of projects and has a lot of the necessary tools. I priced out the wood and hardware, less than $500. It would be a big-un! 10ft tall, maybe around 16ft deep, not sure how wide; 12ft maybe? It would cover the section of patio furthest from the fire pit.

Pergolas are awesome! My father built one by himself a few years ago. Its a decent size. Wish I had a summer photo, but they can really change the space. Pair that with a fire pit nearby and a pool and you have a great area for cook outs!

8D530C30-544B-412F-8768-D38E8312717C.png

We've talked about building a simple pergola but my husband isn't convinced. His brother loves those types of projects and has a lot of the necessary tools. I priced out the wood and hardware, less than $500. It would be a big-un! 10ft tall, maybe around 16ft deep, not sure how wide; 12ft maybe? It would cover the
Our neighbor with the bull mastiff has one and its really nice. They put out all kinds of potted plants and hang some from the pergola so it resembles a tiny jungle retreat. :D. Its right off their patio door and has an area on one end thats kind of a bar height area with tiled top and bar stools. Its off the back of their house, which like ours, faces West, but they don't get as much sun because there's a ton of trees, so it can be mosquito heaven. She keeps it sprayed plus she has a Dyno Trap. Actually a couple and sold me on it too. ;)

If you do it, we need another thread. :whistle:

Sorry, :ot: here a bit.:bag:

Our neighbor with the bull mastiff has one and its really nice. They put out all kinds of potted plants and hang some from the pergola so it resembles a tiny jungle retreat. :D. Its right off their patio door and has an area on one end thats kind of a bar height area with tiled top and bar stools. Its off the back of their house, which like ours, faces West, but they don't get as much sun because there's a ton of trees, so it can be mosquito heaven. She keeps it sprayed plus she has a Dyno Trap. Actually a couple and sold me on it too. ;)

If you do it, we need another thread. :whistle:

Sorry, :ot: here a bit.:bag:

Sounds perfect! I want to grow some vines up it, hang some lights on it, etc. Since it would be on the East facing side of the house, it won't be needed for afternoon shade but definitely some ambiance in the evening and just to dress it up a bit back there. Eventually I would like to try and hang an overhead fan, too, that could help with bugs! We need some patio furniture for that part too but $$$$$ :thumbdown:

Back