1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My baby has Parvo

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by linx_linx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Silent

Silent Novitiate

I would suggest you have a titer count done to ensure your new pup has an immunity from the shots since you know it's likely still lurking in the enviroment.

Shots should create an immunity however the only way to know for sure is to titer to check it. My own vet recommends shots every 3 weeks until 20 wks old minimum for dobes, rotties, any black and tan breed that is considered more susceptible to parvo. Some vets even suggest a booster at 6 mths. I don't think over vaccinating is a good thing either which is another reason I prefer to do a titer if in doubt.

2. DobesMom

DobesMom Member

I asked about that...then we got sidetracked because she needed Xrays....then we never got back to the "custom quote". Can anyone tell me what titre tests usually cost? I'd have no problem taking her down to do that since it should be safe to do while she's on meds (vs. the shot).

3. Silent

Silent Novitiate

It would depend on your vet and where they send the blood to be tested. I don't know how far you are from San Diego but I ran across this on the web. There may be other low cost places if you check around your area. In this case they send the blood to Antech Laboratories. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/titertest.htm

4. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

the only pup I ever had that got parvo............died of parvo :(........she was such a feisty baby. I called her ginger.....I still recall holding her in my arms rocking her......blood pouring out on to me. I was 16 at the time and had never heard of parvo.I was poor.......I walked her 3 miles to the vet and handed him my only thing of value.....a gold chain my uncle had given me......begging him to help my puppy. my pup died within minutes of getting to the vet.I will never ever forget her or the sadness I felt watching her suffer.I waste no time getting pups to the vet now.

5. Silent

Silent Novitiate

I lost a chi to it in the late 70s when it first started. I was able to save the shepherd I had but the chi was so small she didn't have a chance. Their was no vaccine at that time.

6. linx_linx

linx_linx New Member

wow sorry about the sad stories but treatment for parvo is getting so much better now.

7. DobesMom

DobesMom Member

Awww, so sad Zoo. My heart broke reading that!! :( Thank goodness that they may be able to improve pups odds with parvo by using tamiflu. I was going to ask my dog for it when my girls had it.

8. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

that was almost 30 years ago.......and most people didnt ever hear of parvo. it broke my heart :(

9. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

my first dog died of parvo... beagle in hawaii, tink i was like 10... but my dad did the fatherly thing and told me he ran away... i was with mom 6,000 miles away when he died.. but i remember when i left he went from happy bouncy dog to super sluggish and tired.. i remember his eyes looking up at me.. as wanting to be bouncy, but didnt have the energy..

10. DobesMom

DobesMom Member

Awww.... :(

11. deladobies

deladobies Member

"Think of happy place dela, think of a happy place"

So sorry that had to happen to all of you guys... Ive never experienced parvo with any of my animals *knocks on desk, stang,table, wall, head*
    Ive seen it and helped friends threw it but never had it happen to me...

So sorry

12. OldDrumDobes

OldDrumDobes New Member

So sorry what you are going thru! Parvo is awful!