1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My Andy: A Marine’s Heartbreaking Letter Home

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by LifeofRubie, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I wasn't quite sure where to put this but thought it was an interesting and short read. I wasn't even going to click on the article until I saw the pictures of the Doberman...

My Andy: A Marine’s Heartbreaking Letter Home

[​IMG]

“Times Past,” AKC Gazette:

Of the thousands of letters the Gazette has received over the decades, perhaps none has epitomized the human-canine bond more vividly than this one delivered to our offices 68 years ago.

Dear Editor:

War is a grim business in which sentiment plays little part. But one of the most touching things in this global conflict is the complete mutual devotion, confidence, and understanding that exist between America’s war dogs and their handlers.

Such was the relationship of Marine PFC Robert E. Lansley of Syracuse, and Andy, an affectionate, alert Doberman Pinscher, formerly owned by Theodore A. Wiedemann of Norristown, Pa. Lansley and Andy went through months of bitter fighting on Bougainville, where the Devil Dog’s keen nose repeatedly saved Marines from certain and sudden death by discovering camouflaged Japanese machine-gun nests. He was cited for his heroism.

Then, one tragic night, Lansley wrote to his mother this letter—a Marine’s simple, yet beautiful tribute to his dog:

Dear Mom: My heart is wide open. My Andy is gone. The darn mutt got out and as he couldn’t hear because of deafness brought on by the shelling, he was run over by a truck.

I got the worst order the Marine Corps ever imposed on me. I had to destroy my Andy.

To think, Mom dear, he saved my life and I had to take his. No matter how many dogs they give me, I’ll never have the faith in them that I had in Andy. It seems that he was my other self.

Bob and his Andy are now together again. The Marine was later killed in action fighting on the island highway to Tokyo. —Clayton G. Going, July 1945

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
    • Wow x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Oh no, more tissues required! That is a beautiful but heartbreaking tribute. :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Damn onions ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The bonds that are built between human and dog are really something special! Oh my :( pass me the tissue box.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I’ve seen and posted that photo here before but never knew the story behind it.
    Wow.:(

Thank you for posting.

• Like Like x 1