• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Mr Moo's Limp

He is doing well! We've done four of eight adequan injections (all covered by insurance!) and he's done with his ramp-up dose of glucosamine so we're on the maintenance part, now. Haven't gotten as far as the Vit C supplement but I will spend some time and look into that a little closer.

The broken bone they found that they thought caused the limp, even though elbow issues is was they were looking for, seems to be all healed up and his beautiful trot is back and he's back to romping in the yard without the long lead.

I believe once the adequan injections are done, two per week for four weeks, we'll go back to the ortho doctor for a follow-up visit and we'll discuss long term goals or whatever then. Moo has lost a couple pounds which will be huge in keeping those joints happy. All seems to be going well and he's not showing any signs of pain :thumbsup:

Moo had his follow-up with the ortho today and he said he didn't see a single indication of any lingering limp and Moo was all cleared to resume normal activity! I even had Norris ask about Agility and what-not and the doctor said there is no reason he CAN'T do those things but we just need to watch out for signs of pain.

I need to keep reminding myself that Moo's limp was most likely due to that broken bone and NOT his elbows BUT that we need to maintain those elbows so he has a long, healthy, active life.

I think the Vit-C is the only thing we haven't gotten around to supplementing yet (STILL!). Can someone tell me what the benefit of Vit-C is for soft tissue health? Is it different than Manganese (which is what we supplement for tendon/ligament health at the moment).

OH! Insurance breakdown for this little... issue...

This year we will pay $1064.76 on insurance premiums for Moose (I consider this out of pocket expense)

Without insurance, We would've spent $2691.42

Because we have insurance, we were reimbursed 90% after our $250 deductible was met. So of that $2691.42, $2197.28 was reimbursed (within weeks if not days).

$2691.42 out of pocket for vet bills
-$2197.28 reimbursed
$494.14 out of pocket for vet bills
+$1064.76 in premiums cost for 1 year
$1558.90 out of pocket for an issue that would've cost $2691.42 without insurance.

Over $1000 to our favor and he still has vacs and routine stuff we need to take care of that will get reimbursed.

Moo Insurance.JPG

Moo had his follow-up with the ortho today and he said he didn't see a single indication of any lingering limp and Moo was all cleared to resume normal activity! I even had Norris ask about Agility and what-not and the doctor said there is no reason he CAN'T do those things but we just need to watch out for signs of pain.

I need to keep reminding myself that Moo's limp was most likely due to that broken bone and NOT his elbows BUT that we need to maintain those elbows so he has a long, healthy, active life.

I think the Vit-C is the only thing we haven't gotten around to supplementing yet (STILL!). Can someone tell me what the benefit of Vit-C is for soft tissue health? Is it different than Manganese (which is what we supplement for tendon/ligament health at the moment).
It enhances collagen synthesis and oxidative stress from injuries and aids in healing of soft tissue injury.

The dogs actually produce their own vitamin C but in times of stress and injury, illness, their body is easily depleted of Vit C and can’t produce what is necessary to heal so supplemental is encouraged.

Dogs are soooo expensive...

So glad Moo man is cleared for agility! You are probably thrilled about getting him started. Now he and Rubie will be striving for success under your guidance.

Thanks @Tropicalbri's !! I did reach out to Fromm at some point and ask how much Vit C was in their product and they said that because it's not a required nutrient in dog food, they didn't test for it so had no idea :facepalm: Vit C is water soluble though, right, so no worries about giving too much from a toxicity stand-point?

@Kaiser2016 he's going to be SUCH a different dog to train and play agility with than Rubie. He just wants to go go go and I'm going to train his weave poles from the beginning the way I RE-trained Rubie so I think he'll have a great head start :thumbsup:

Vit C is water soluble though, right, so no worries about giving too much from a toxicity stand-point?
Most foods do not have much if any in it. I use the Nature’s Farmacy because it’s in powder form and they give you a 1/4tsp scoop to use with it. It is a pure form without all the additives that the pills you buy have in them. It’s also human grade. It is water soluble and any excess is easily flushed out through the kidneys so there is no harm from giving too much.

I believe if given too much VitC that it causes diarrhea.

A lot of dogs will get diarrhea if you start them out on the full dose for their body weight, especially if it’s something you buy from the drugstore that has bioflavonoids in it and other additives.
I put my two on the human grade Super C powder (ascorbic acid) and they never developed diarrhea.

I do recall the breeder mentioning that it can cause loose stools if too much is given too fast so thank you for reminding me @Ddski5 !

Really glad you can go ahead with his agility training, you both will have a ball with it!

I do want to try Barn Hunt with him eventually but since Agility is what I know and I don't want to pay for two different classes at the moment... agility it is! hahaha

@Tropicalbri's one more question! Do you give the Vit C daily or only after injury?
Mine get it daily and have been getting it since they were 4mo old.
I swear it has helped with how extremely active they are. With the tracking we have been doing going through rough brush that sometimes causes cuts on them in their excitement of charging through full force into heavily wooded areas and mangrove stumps. Those cuts heal within the day after cleaning them. I attribute this to the Vit C and daily probiotics that have strengthened their immune systems.
With all this constant powering activity they never seem to have sore muscles or limps of any kind. KOW

I do give them full body massages though after a day of strenuous activity, which they love.
Perhaps it’s just a combination of everything they receive but I think it is a valuable supplement to have in the toolbox for very physically active dogs that are exposed to new environments with different bacteria and fungus from what they are exposed to at home.
It’s an immune system boost. IMHO

So Moo has his limp again. Running; fine. Steps; no problem. I've only noticed him favoring a leg when on our hardwood floors?

Noticed it Sunday. Did agility Thursday for which he was super excited and did jumps and 12 (!) weave poles and A frame with no issues.

Saturday night we were outside with friends having a fire and he and Rubie were pretty much out in the yard playing for about 4 hours.

He is fine in the AM after a night in his crate, outside and then breakfast then back upstairs for morning nap. But anytime he'd get up from laying down he looked stiff and had an exaggerated limp, favoring his front left leg.

When we had issues before I believe it was his right leg.

Took him to the vet on Wednesday and she said she did everything she knew to do to look for pain. Poked and prodded until her arm hurt. She said he is the most stoic dog she's ever met :sob: and handsome ;)

So basically she said no issue she could find and no soft tissue damage, no immediate sign of dysplasia pain (which his CT scan last year indicated but what lab doesn't have that?), basically no reason for him to limp.

She did say a dog will quickly forget a torn ligament but a broken bone they will remember forever. When we did those CT scans, they did discover a sesamoid bone had healed and that was probably the cause of his limp last year. Did he have a similar experience to when he broke it and was just remembering nursing it?

He seems otherwise fine and we like the vet's office we visit; they always have wonderful things to say to our pooches. She didn't recommend anything in particular and he seems to be 95% today.

This limp only makes itself known when he's been inactive for a while. Like when you sit funny or sleep funny and your knee or neck acts up.

Moo gets dasuquin, Vit C, manganese, and bone broth daily

These pooches!

Last year: the limp, sesamoid bone and CT scans were on his right leg. No issues or assessment of the left leg last year?

Sorry to hear it’s back. What about Chiro?

Could be something we look in the future. Dumb Dumb seems totally fine today :facepalm:

Last year: the limp, sesamoid bone and CT scans were on his right leg. No issues or assessment of the left leg last year?

No, not other than they saw evidence of elbow dysplasia. The vet he saw this week insisted that if he had any actual pain anywhere, she would've found it. She said she was "grunting like a tennis player" trying to get him to react to pressure points :rofl:

Back