1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Mr Moo's Limp

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by LifeofRubie, Apr 12, 2019.

  1. jazzies mum

    jazzies mum Notable member

    That looks really painful! :( I guess when he runs the gait masks the leg favouring. It's amazing how they stay happy even with the pain. I really hope it is something that just needs rest. (Although getting Moo to rest might be a chore!)

    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Well, Mr Moo has been on super restricted activity for about a week. No walks. Whenever we go outside, he's on a leash. We've started glucosamine supplements. His limp is all but vanished! We're still going to our Thursday appointment with the orthopedic doctor just to get everything checked and because it was quite a wait to get an appointment. If nothing else, hopefully they can rule out the dysplasia and choc it up to a soft tissue injury after all. When he's obviously feeling much better, it's hard not to let him run but I feel like if he were to tweak something again before fully healed, it would set us back another 2 steps.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  3. Ddski5

    Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    That’s great news.

    Interested to see what ortho says.

    My thoughts:
    Unless he finds something concrete- X-ray, prob not really going to know unless it happens again and Moo has same signs and symptoms and kinda becomes chronic.

    If it doesn’t happen again or it does not happen often then you can chalk it up to soft tissue.

    I still think he is awfully young and comes from a good breeder, right? for him to have dysplasia or anything boney arthritic.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    I think they may do MRI or some sort of scoping. He's not to eat breakfast for our 11a appointment which sounds like giving them the option to put him under for a bit to explore.

    And yes, All her dogs hips and elbows are tested. Really hoping we can start barn hunt classes next week :thumbsup: The way these two run and jump and tumble, a soft tissue issue is definitely highly probable. He just finished his round of anti-inflammatories so will have been off them of them for 4 days by the time our appointment rolls around. I have been letting him do a little running today and so far so good!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ddski5

    Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    An MRI would be awesome, get some answers for sure. I am so use to going through the motions with humans and insurance that I forget that there are less obstacles with animals.

    Yeah, with the MRI you should be able to find out the cause for sure or definitely narrow it down.

    Thursday...why am I thinking that something happened this last Saturday? Did Rubie have an agility trial?
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    She DID!!!! :thumbsup:

    Yeah, I'm not sure if we would've been able to get in without the vet referral as I didn't look into it too much but should all be reimbursed 90% and we'll have more answers so we're going for it!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Just got back from our appointment. Moo was perfect and let them lay him on his side and palpitate, rotate, extend, and move both his front legs in all sorts of directions without protesting much. The Ortho Dr. didn't find anything that seemed tender or painful or 'gritty' which is good. Moo did a little runway walk up and down a hall a couple of times and he didn't see any gait abnormalities or leg favoring. I did have those videos on my phone I could show him so he could see what it looked like two weeks ago.

    We decided to do a CT scan next Tuesday just to know for sure if there is an issue with his elbow. If they find something, we want to get it sorted out ASAP. If they don't, then we'll assume soft tissue and continue resting him and will be 3 weeks into a 6-8 week recommended rest anyway. Not sure if we'll go the route of an MRI to 100% confirm unless it come back down the road.

    The Dr diiiiid say Moo should lose a little weight (he was 81.5lbs today). We cut back his activity but not his food so shame on me. He didn't say in any way that Moo was overweight but he couldn't feel his ribs as easily as he liked. I told him I love lean dogs and get told all the time how 'athletic' Rubie is :rolleyes: so totally understand.

    The most handsome patient


    CT Scan Quote came back $1467-$1687... Yay insurance :censored:
    • Like Like x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  8. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Dropped my little man off this morning! The lack of breakfast was made up by a fun, unexpected car ride, luckily.

    He was charming the ladies at the front desk while we were waiting. Was interested in the poodle we saw but mostly sat still like a good boy without making a fuss.

    He was a little confused when I left which breaks my heart but I know he's in good hands.

    I did have to choose a level of resuscitation before I left which was new for me. Red - DNR, Yellow - Meds and chest compressions, Green - open him up and pump his heart by hand if needed. Obviously I choose Green but that made me pause for a second!

    When we went skydiving, I was all pumped up and ready to go and then they make you sign the waiver that says "The possibility of dying is legit and you can't sue us if you do." That kinda sunk in what we were about to do...

    They'll let us know when he's going under and when he comes back out. I really hope they can give us a preliminary Yay or Nay based on the images but I know they send them out for expert evaluation.
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Ddski5

    Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    Just CAT scan right?

    Will be awaiting results.
  10. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Yes! Technically a CT scan. Is that different?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ddski5

    Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    Hahaha. I had to look that up.

    No difference.
    CT and CAT Scan.

    CT is a newer modern term
    CAT scan is more old school.

    Lol.... adding to my own demise, I am old school.
    • Funny Funny x 6
  12. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Well I had no idea so you could've told me anything and I'd have believed it!

    They called a bit ago and said he was awake but still groggy and that I can pick him up anytime after 2p. I'm in all day meetings and Dog Dad is traveling so might not be till later this afternoon.

    They actually said we could hear back from someone about the images as early as today but I'll try to be more realistic haha.

    I went home for Rubie over lunch and she did a whole lap around the house, presumably looking for Mr Moo :( But we played outside a bit, shared some turkey, then played FIND for a while so I left her happy.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    We're home! He's still sleeeeeepy but ate and went potty and ran right up to see his Rubie when we got home. Results tomorrow!

    • Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lizbeli

    Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

    Crossing my fingers! Poor guy. I hate leaving dogs at the vets for tests. But its for their own good and we know we will be back for them!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  15. Antman408

    Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

    Any updates?!?!
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    NO! And I'm a smidge irritated to say the least!
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 4
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  17. LifeofRubie

    LifeofRubie Notable member

    Finally and not the best news but I guess not horrible:

    MCP both elbows, medial coronoid process disease (could remove with surgery they basically remove bone), some studies say reduces chance of osteo but some say it doesn't matter, osteo stays anyway, sesmoid bones inner most digit on left paw presents of old fracture which matches up with 2 month ago timeframe of lameness and slow healing, adequan could be a medication option to help prevent/manage pain associated of osteoarthritis, twice weekly injection for 4 weeks, doesn't hurt to do now but could wait (vet said he would do it), keep his activity reduced/ weight management, etc. plus nutriceuticals.

    The toe bone is probably what caused the lameness but now we know about the MCP so we'll start the adequan.
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 11
  18. JanS

    JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

    Aww poor Moo... :( Like you said, I guess it's not the worst news but it could be better too when he's so young.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  19. Viemarangelrock

    Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    Aw, poor lad :(

    Would physiotherapy or hydrotherapy help?

    I would definitely look at glucosamine, chondroitin and green-lipped mussel.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Tropicalbri's

    Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

    We do a lot of adequan injections and polyglycan injections. We usually do adequan for 5 weeks. One a week.
    I am sorry Mr. Moo has this issue. The injections should help a lot!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1

Share This Page