Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Mosquito Spray

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by johnfin, Mar 16, 2019.

1. johnfin

johnfin New Member

Can you use off outdoors on a dog. DEET is the only ingredient that really works against mosquitoes.

2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I wouldn't want them licking that. I use wondercide instead and haven't had any issues. I even have used it on myself!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

I have been wonderng about a safe spray for them to use. I am sooo cautious when it comes to toxins that I almost obsess about it. This coming summer though Kodak will be going to the mountains a lot and I worry about the ticks. Do you just spray this on them?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

NO DEET!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure there is a warning on the label not to use on pets.

DEET General Fact Sheet - National Pesticide Information ...
    npic.orst.edu/factsheets/DEETgen.html
    Pets that have been overexposed to DEET have shown varying effects, including vomiting, shaking, excitement, lack of coordination, and seizures. ... The AAP has cautioned parents not to use DEET on the hands of children and to avoid applying it to areas around children's eyes and mouths. 1.

Don’t DEET that Dog - Oklahoma State University
    https://news.okstate.edu/.../2017/dont-deet-dog.html
    While people may use DEET products to repel bugs, do not use it on your pets. DEET can cause significant clinical signs in companion animals. DEET is common in most products used for mosquitoes, ticks and deer fly control in humans.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. strykerdobe

There are lots of others.

Easy Homemade Mosquito, Bug and Tick Repellent for You and ...

www.integrativenutritionaltherapies.com/easy-homemade-mosquito-bug...
    May 03, 2014 · How to Make Homemade Essential Oil Insect Repellent Spray Fill spray bottle with water. Add witch hazel or vodka to fill almost to the top, leave a gap to be able to shake thoroughly. Place sprayer top on bottle and gently shake. Spray on skin and clothes for you and head to tail for your dog

• 4.8/5
      (9)
    • Author: Melissa Malinowski

Homemade Natural Bug Repellent for Dogs, Cats - Ottawa Dog ...

ottawavalleydogwhisperer.ca › health and wellness
    Make your own homemade natural bug repellent for dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. Therapeutic food-grade organic Grade A: Essential oils (for dog sand cats) Hydrosols (for puppies and kittens 10 weeks of age or younger) Hydrosols are a by-product of essential oil distillation and are gentler than essential oils. The Recipe.

3 Natural Dog Mosquito Repellent Options
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/natural-mosquito-repellents
    3. Citronella. A well-known natural mosquito repellent. The oils from the plant are used to make lotions, sprays, and candles. A University of Guelph study assessed the effectiveness of 3% citronella candles and 5% citronella incense in protecting subjects from bites.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rits

Yep just spray on heavy enough to dampen the fur. Then let air dry. I have to watch Paige as she likes to try to rub it off (she hates being wet :rolleyes:) so thats why I say let air dry. Ive been using it for a few years now, no ticks fleas or HW. I reapply once a day when in a mosquito or woody area and once every few days if at home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

^^^Absolutely agree and I tell people ALL the time to avoid any product containing DEET around their animals. I won’t even allow my dogs next to me when I have to use it on my clothing when doing properties where their are a lot of Swamp mosquitoes. I use essential oils mixed with purified water and a little bit of coconut oil (as a carrier oil) because they are in water almost everyday. I spray them with it and it works for about 90 minutes to 2 hrs. I also use it on my skin as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Another vote here for Wondercide. Its active ingredients are natural oils that repel (and they say also kill) fleas and repels ticks. I have stopped years ago using chemicals on my Dobe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rits

Probably the cedar oil since its in every variety they offer. I agree it is a bit strong but I dont mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Well after doing more research on the wondercide there are quite a few claiming they changed their ingredients and isn’t as natural as they claim now. Plus there is a video a guy shared on spraying a tick and seeing no effects at all. Curious what you think on this. I will share the link to the reviews and first comment in the reviews is the video. I screenshot some of the other reviews about the ingredient change.

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Wondercide Natural Flea & Tick Control for Pets Home Cedar & Lemongrass - 32 oz

944B9463-5257-4B5B-9D76-6F17D5906D63.jpeg EE8B8209-41B8-485A-8CAA-A079200C7BA2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Interesting turn of events re Wondercide. But neither product is available in Canada. Bug Soother seems like a small company and might be more flexible if I contact them directly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. strykerdobe

14. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well good to know. I haven't used wondercide in quite sometime because I have been making my own.

The best tip I have about making your own is that the oils matter. Think you found a deal on amazon because they cost less? Think again because the cheap oils don't work. Good quality matters.
    The FDA says as long as the oil contains 5% pure ingredients it can be labeled 100% therapeutic grade. Do your research and read the labels carefully. You want to see 100% PURE therapeutic grade, not 100% therapeutic grade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Where do you get you’re oils from? How do you make it? I have seen all the recipes online but I never can make my mind up on which one will actually be a good one that will work. I would love to know what you are using.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  16. Rits

@GennyB

Here is their response about using SLS

SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE | Wondercide

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My wife has gotten oils from Young Living. For use on us humans. I don't know about the price, as I never found out how much we were paying.

I can attest to their efficacy in at least two ways

My awesome wife makes deodorant for us at home and the oil(s) used in that do the job great!

I have found that cedarwood oil does have the intended effect when I use it at bedtime. Makes me get a deeper sleep. Had to back off from three drops, to two, to one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I agree with @GennyB on the quality of oils. If you do not buy the purest and best oils you are only wasting your time, money and effectiveness. 100% Pure essential oils are expensive and proper storage of them are extremely important as well, especially in our hot climate. I keep mine in the fridge. I make just enough spray for use as a repellent to last a couple of days as I use it frequently when we are out and about. I like to use coconut oil as a carrier oil since both pups are in water daily.
    Research your essential oils because the ones offered for cheap are not effective and can be adulterated with other things. It’s the same when using CBD oils. The expensive ones are purer and more effective and will have a seal of guarantee on the label and an 800 # to call with any questions.
    Be careful with essential oils around cats as they are very sensitive to them and many oils are toxic for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

20. strykerdobe

Here is info from Wondercide on SLS.

Is Wondercide Still Safe for Dogs? | Keep the Tail Wagging
    https://keepthetailwagging.com/is-wondercide-still-safe-for-dogs
    Wondercide used hydrated silica in their original spray as the carrier to deliver the essential oil. Wondercide now uses water as a carrier and since oil and water are constantly separating, they have added ingredients in the new formula to help the spray remain stable and to prevent separating/settling: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (coconut oil) Water