• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Monthly Cost of Kibble vs Raw Food

Sir.duke865

Moderator Note: Some posts were split off from another thread so that this topic can be found and useful for others a little easier. :)

Price of Raw vs Kibble ?

@Kaiser2016 the only thing I heard there was that hollow cave sound from my wallet. I just had the last cave wallet repaired from duke and his car note food bill every month. Seriously considering going to raw with the two crazies running around acana would eventually put me at 1000 a month to feed the 2 and I might be under bidding on that o

Seriously considering going to raw with the two crazies running around acana would eventually put me at 1000 a month to feed the 2 and I might be under bidding on that o
Ya I remember you saying it was like a car payment lol. Always worth checking out how raw works. I'd start with premade raw just to get an idea of how the dogs handle it. I've heard it's cheaper to go fully raw, but I'm not quite there yet.

I glanced at pre made raw, didn’t research enough to say I actually looked into it. What would be a few worth looking into. Going fully raw won’t be happening for me anytime soon i already didn’t have the prep time to put into it before I know with her and him plus both training the schedule is about to get tight.

I glanced at pre made raw, didn’t research enough to say I actually looked into it. What would be a few worth looking into.
I'm on Carnivora but they may not sell that in the US. Your version of that is Primal which I have also fed. Examine the poop, then move down the line in cost. I was previously feeding mid grade raw and the poops were a bit bigger than they are now so we are willing to bite the bullet on the cost. I also experimented with bottom line raw and Kaiser picked up a chunk of it and dropped it on the floor with a :wtf: look on his face. My spoiled puppy boy :)

Or do it the other way around so they don't end up getting finicky for the fine stuff. Start with bottom line and move upward. Lol, yes, that would be better. Then based on poop size and frequency, decide which one works best for your wallet.

@Kaiser2016 about what do you think is your total feed bill a month I’m around 400us. right now with duke alone.
We ran the numbers just last month!

On the mid grade assorted proteins it was
120 CAD / 93 USD / 68 GBP

High grade exotic proteins
270 / 210 / 152

The mid grade never had the exotic proteins so this is not the best comparison. I'd say 270 was when we got Elk. But that's the spread. I always get the bulk boxes too.

You know what, kibble is cheaper. A whole bag of acana would last Kaiser about 25 days and it was $68 a bag.

Lol, that's why crunching the numbers on food is not a good thing. Eating isn't negotiable...right :whistle:

I don't even look at by the month, I look at by the pound....When I was feeding Nature Valley's Instinct it was costing me $3.25 per pound... and feeding Raw from home, not purchased, I can stay well within that price....Grace is eating 3-5 pounds a day and is lean and mean.

When I fed Earthborn Holistic grain free it was 59.99 per 28# bag which lasted about 2 wks.
Then the Stella and Chewy freeze dried raw dinner patties to go on top of each meal ran about $45 a month.
Supplements are about $60. per month.
So roughly $225. Then raw eggs daily for around $12. per month. Coconut oil, sardines, herring etc. I think about $250. mo. I don’t generally give treats but I have the dehydrated lamb lung on hand and that runs around $20 per 10 to 12oz bag.
Kibble was definitely cheaper but they are doing incredibly well on raw, however I am trying out a new source for raw that will be less expensive (I think) than Darwin’s and a greater protein selection.

I don't even look at by the month, I look at by the pound....When I was feeding Nature Valley's Instinct it was costing me $3.25 per pound... and feeding Raw from home, not purchased, I can stay well within that price....Grace is eating 3-5 pounds a day and is lean and mean.
I almost did that too but kibble is much more nutrient dense than raw food is, so it wouldn't be accurate. Raw is made up of mostly water so it is going to weigh more. You have to feed much more raw by the pound than you do for kibble.

Here's the food bill for my 2:
DIY RAW for (2)45lb dogs that daily eat 3lbs total cost me $40 a week, $1.30/lb. $160 a month. That's just pork protein...I would also have to add in costs of organs, random parts, unique proteins and supplements that I give them.

Orijen - $80-90 for exactly 3 weeks worth of food at 4.5 cups daily. I can give supplements and still be under the cost of raw.

Feed what you can afford... I personally had to back down to kibble until I can have a place with space for a deep freezer (or three, lol!) to stock up on sales. Working out of your own freezer, you can't get in on the good deals as much. Even though I backed down, I went with high quality and I'm still able to save money...

@Kaiser2016 about what do you think is your total feed bill a month I’m around 400us. right now with duke alone.
How much kibble does Duke eat per day? $400. a month for 1 dog on kibble seems like price gouging to me.
Acana’s most expensive runs about $82. to $84. for a 25lb bag. Certainly he doesn’t eat $400 worth of that per month.
This has me confused.
Does the $400. include, treats, toppers and can food?

I almost did that too but kibble is much more nutrient dense than raw food is, so it wouldn't be accurate. Raw is made up of mostly water so it is going to weigh more. You have to feed much more raw by the pound than you do for kibble.
I understand your point...I was thinking of the $3.25 per pound for kibble as my means to see if raw was worth it...Grace was eating a pound of kibble a day...so I thought if I buy right I can feed her for $3-5per day...about the same as kibble, so here in NC I can do it. Hence a raw diet is what we use.

Back