Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Mondio & French Ring vs. Schutzhund

Discussion in 'Schutzhund and Ring Sports' started by ruffcountryrex, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I too respect your opinion and experience, von Cosack. The only reason I made an issue of your statement was because you are a moderator. You are being far from supportive of people (including the OP of this thread) entering the world of dog sports (the very forum you moderate). You are 100% correct that I am not a participant in dog sports. I would be if I were not living in an area devoid of trainers. I live in a rural area and there are no trainers I respect for any discipline of training within my travel distance. If I could find a good trainer in my area, I would train with him or her no matter what the discipline just to do it.
    You are a professional trainer, so I ask you an honest question... Is it possible to protection train a doberman without a trainer?

• Like Like x 2
  2. von Cosack

von Cosack Novitiate

Yes it is! Thats part of what I'm saying, you don't need certification from a club or organization to own a quality trained dog or a trainer, but ithe trainer would help. Von

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pitts

Pitts Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, me personally, I am one of those field sport people, I train and compete heavily in SchH. BUT, I also train PP as well, I agree with alot of what VC has said here, it has truth to it, it is just that VC is a very blunt person and to the point and doesnt like to cover his comments in lace and bows.
    While it is very true that the original job for the dobermann breed was PP, and they do excel at this work, they can and still do well, in the SchH ring, the only difference in them and other breeds such as GSDs and Mals, is that you have to work with them a bit differently in training, they are a thinking dog, and are very much about the bond between handler and dog, VS, reward based systems of training. IE, the dog works for the handler to please him/her.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I agree with you completely on this. However, there are so many idiots (including myself) who are not qualified to teach a dog to bite humans on their own. I will not get my dogs involved in bite sports without professional help. I feel that doing so would be irresponsible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lord

Lord Jr Member

VC come on man you cant say they can train PP on their own. Go say this to people with Golden Retrievers. Ingrid PP has also obedience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pitts

Pitts Hot Topics Subscriber

Lord,
    I dont think you see what he is saying, he isnt saying you can train PP or any protection sport on just your own without any help at all, What I believe he is trying to say, is that you can do it without the assistance of a club or club trainer, etc. You can absolutely teach obedience alone, and you can teach guarding, resource guarding, and even some PP type guarding all alone, the only time you would need another person, you just need someone to act as the bad guy, or decoy. so the dog has someone to focus on when it comes to the protection. But that person doesnt have to be a trainer.

I think from reading the posts, that this is more what he meant, and I have to agree with it, although I work both alone, and with my son, and with a club, and group of trainers.

7. Lord

Lord Jr Member

I dont disagree to what he says. I just think the statement is dangerous for people with no idea to try to train PP alone - because believe me obedience and control over their dog will be the last in their mind