Missouri - HSUS is baaaacccckkkkk!!

Shadowlands

Novitiate
slippery slope? Duh!!! We all knew it which is why it was fought...and looky at what I see...downhill slide. :(

http://www.schuylercountytimes.com/pages/?p=1000

HSUS – Hidden Agendas?

An out of state group is doing exactly what it said it would not do last year, when it came into our state and spent millions of dollars to mislead you, not only in the voting booth, but also in collecting millions of dollars that never go toward taking care of an animal.

The Missouri House made the right decision in joining the Senate in passing Senate Bill 113 and 95, which strengthen new dog breeding laws and add the enforcement that had been missing for so long.
Many of you know last fall, by a very narrow margin, urban voters in Missouri passed Proposition B — a citizen-led petition against dog breeders in the state of Missouri. The ads that stretched from radio to television to billboards were paid for by a large, well-funded group from out of state: the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
When the HSUS came here last year, they claimed they were only interested in ridding our state of illegal dog breeders and nothing else — even though their proposal targeted the good, law-abiding breeders. Now, not even six months after the November election that brought us Prop B, they are back. The HSUS has filed a ballot initiative that would require a three-quarter majority of both the Missouri Senate and the Missouri House to change something enacted by the voters. Currently, only a simple majority is needed. The measure would go on the November 2012 ballot.
There were many of us warning about this nearly a year ago. After Proposition B passed, folks started to read what was in the new law and started to realize the true agenda of this bunch. They are wasting no time in advancing their hidden agenda. They will start collecting signatures immediately, and have until May 2012 to submit those to the Secretary of State’s office.
If we let the HSUS continue down this path in Missouri, we are putting an “out of business” sign on the state. Missouri’s cattle industry in 2007 was $1.7 billion. I ask you to think about your local school district, hospitals, and ambulance boards — a large portion of the personal property taxes that keep these going are paid by taxpayers whose monetary livelihood is tied to agriculture. You could potentially see chains and padlocks around the front doors of our schools. We cannot let this happen.
As always, please send us your thoughts, and I hope to see you around the district.

THE MORE I FIND...THE ANGRIER I AM BECOMING ABOUT THIS!!!

I am actually wondering whether Von can make a thread specifically for HSUS etc information. This is not exactly Breed Legislation if you know what I mean. :)

Apr 26 2011

Missouri to HSUS: “Show Me” the Protesters?

Last week Missouri Governor Jay Nixon announced a compromise solution on reforming “Proposition B,” which narrowly passed last year and sets limits on dog breeding operations. Nixon’s “Missouri Solution” doesn’t roll back the Humane Society of the United States’ ballot-grab as much as the legislation which is already sitting on Nixon’s desk, but it does allay some of the concerns that made Prop B so divisive and controversial.
Importantly, this new compromise has the support of Missouri farmers and the Humane Society of Missouri. HSUS, predictably, opposes the compromise.
Both sides started gathering supporters immediately after the deal became public. And on Wednesday, advocates held dueling rallies in Jefferson City–pitting agriculture supporters against HSUS backers.
Farmers showed up more than 1,000-strong. But for an organization that claims it has 300,000 supporters in Missouri, HSUS could barely produce one hundred warm bodies.
According to the Columbia Missourian, only about 100 HSUS supporters showed up to object to Governor Nixon’s compromise. And judging from a YouTube video shot by someone on the scene, 100 is a charitable estimate. (The Carthage Press, a Southwest Missouri newspaper, reported that HSUS’s rally “only drew a few dozen attendees.”)

In contrast, a sea of people (St. Louis Public Radio reported “several hundred”) came to show support for animal agriculture. Other witnesses have described the crowd as between 1,000 and 1,200 Missourians—and homegrown Missourians led the pro-ag rally.
It should be expected that Missouri farmers would have a significant amount of Missouri support. But both rallies were held in Jefferson City, an area where voters approved HSUS’s Prop B. (The measure was crushed in rural areas.) The fact that so few of those urban voters showed up to a relatively convenient location speaks volumes. The low turnout was a huge embarrassment for HSUS.

But several months after the election, farmers and other HSUS opponents are still fired up. HSUS had a chance to show politicians last week that it could do more than simply pour out-of-state money into local politics. On this count, it failed miserably.
It’s easy to get voters to check a box for a measure that’s marketed with pictures of puppies. But it’s harder to generate genuine grassroots support for a mission that touches people’s lives and livelihoods. It’s clear that while HSUS won the November election battle (however narrowly), it’s losing the war with fired-up farmers.
Photos: Courtesy of Missouri Farmers CARE

http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/missouri_to_hsus_show_me_the_protesters/

You can blame HumaneWatch for all of these posts I am doing!! LOL!! They keep popping onto my radar!! :D

Back