Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Mind games

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by NamVetJoe, Jan 16, 2020.

1. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

any suggestions for mind-stimulating toys on the market for Tyson (7 months old)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

following to see what suggestions appear. All the best mind-stimulators I've had so far is training games that involve my participation and don't let me go do something else while Asha keeps herself busy. Which some days would be really really nice!

Want one that involves you? Today we worked on eye contact. Treats (kibble for me because I use a lot) in both hands (closed in a fist) as I sit in a chair and Asha sits in front of me. She sniffs and works at each hand because she smells the food. When she finally stops (no words given, I'm silent) and looks me in the eye I say "Yes!" and treat her out of my right hand only. Again she will work at the closed fists, then eventually look at me and I mark with yes and treat. Gradually open hands to expose treats but if she dives for it hands make a fist. No food until eye contact. Object of this is for her to ignore treats in hand and look at my eyes to get a treat, not to help herself, and add to self control. It takes a lot of mental exercise and self control but we've done this a few times and it's a shorter and shorter time to have both my hands flat open with treats in them and she looks at me and ignores the treats! To add, it never starts out like that, we have to do the drill a while, but now in just a few minutes we can do it. Looking away doesn't earn a treat, only eye contact. Have fun!

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1
  3. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Thanks sounds like a great exercise in discipline

• Like Like x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Snuffle mat.

lickipad.

A Pringles tube is always a good one, cut small holes randomly on the tube and pop in some small treats. (Fasten the lid securely with duct tape)

A treat puzzle made from PVC pipe (similar to the Pringle box idea)

A filled Kong with frozen treats i.e banana and blueberries.

Wrap their toys in gift paper.

Teach him to put his toys away in the toy box.

I’m teaching Tara to help me with the recycling. She’s learning to drop the plastic bottles in the recycling bag.

Lay a towel out flat and roll it but add small treats as you’re rolling it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  5. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

The boys love the snuffle mats.
    (And Mo would jump over the moon for anything frozen in a Kong.)

Tug-A-Jug for Mo (and Mo only, Bam turns it into a weapon, swinging it and then gnaws the rope in two..to get to the treats)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4KZ8M...olid=2O0O6N94ODK8T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We play a game called "go get it" with Bam.

Started out with one toy, a ball. I'd make him sit/stay ...put the ball on the other side of the room walked him over on a lead, had him get the ball bring it back to the spot we started in, leave it, sit...and he got a treat. A few days of this I could put him in sit/stay........go to the other side of the room, go sit on the sofa, say "Go get the ball." He'd get it bring it to me and get the treat. Then we added a Banana chew toy..worked with him figuring out ball/banana and we kept adding things.

He's up to six items now, ball, banana, orange, pear, blanket, log.

We put them around the house and say "Go get" then name the item and he grabs the named item and brings it to us, gets his treat, sits and waits fr the next "go get it".

We wear out when playing this game long before he does and the upside it keeps him occupied on days that we can't get outside due to weather or are stuck in a hotel room for a while.

• Like Like x 5
  6. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Thanks all I already have the Kong but I just ordered
    snuffle mat for dogs will arrive Sunday will post pics

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

looking forward to pictures. I think my pup would just tear the snuffle mat up, slinging stuff everywhere. Let me know if this seriously works as a search and not a destroy!

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Id have kibble flying in every which direction lol. He wants to kill all fabric he’s allowed to put teeth on. LOL!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We have several games we play. In my world there are far too many days we just can't get enough physical exercise so mind games are a must.
    Here are just a few
    Treasure hunt
    We hide things all over the place and then have the dog hunt for them.
    Might be a good idea to make a map of where you put the treasures. Especially if some are food. Trust me. ;)
    We also adapted red light, green light. We just replace red with stay and green with come. Mix it up so the dog doesn't know what's coming.
    We also clean up. I put some handles on both the toy basket and the laundry baskets. When the dog gets crazy with the toys or hubby has a brain fart and forgets where the hamper is, we play clean up. The pulls the basket around and puts the toys/laundry in it.
    We also have some puzzle games that keep them busy. Bonus is they can keep you entertained as you watch them figure it out.

• Like Like x 4
  10. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

That is genius. Although I only ever let DeSoto play with one thing at a time in our tiny house, I’d be willing to let him play with more if he cleaned up his own messes lol!

Would you mind breaking down how you taught that?

11. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

We had a bit of a problem with Bam wanting to drag his around....DH took a piece of light weight fiber board cut it to size to fit the mat then put Velcro on the board and the backing mat of the snuffle pad...so Bam couldn't pick it up.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I sent you a pm. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

snuffle mat came Sunday. It would be more beneficial I believe if I was feeding kibble and not raw. I placed 8 small pieces of treats in it and Tyson found them in less than two minutes. Then just left the mat alone
    IMG_3171.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

A game that Rubie LOVES is "find" with her humans. Also great for impulse control. Rubie's stay is rock solid but if you don't have a strong out-of-sight-stay, helps to have someone hold Tyson.

I'll put her in a Stay in our bedroom to start and then run down the hall and hide behind a door, in a closet, in the bathtub, behind furniture, etc., and then yell "FIND!" She comes TEARING down the hallway and checks every nook and cranny she's found me in before. I always have treats and make her "sit" or "down" when she's found me, reward (could also be a tug!), put her in a stay in the new room, and then hide somewhere else.

I used to be able to sneak one by her by creeping down the stairs but she's VERY good at the game.

A great impulse control game that Moo is really good at is I put him in a sit in the middle of an open space and literally just throw treats around him to work on his "leave it." And then, to REALLY torture him, I'll call him to me and around/over/pass all the treats that are scattered over the floor. When he comes and sits next to me, I either treat him from my hand or release him to go eat all the floor treats. And when I'm feeling particularly mean, I'll call him to me again interrupting the floor treat fiasco.

I would keep a leash on him (we used a 15ft) to correct if you're still in the early stages of "leave it" training

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Sometimes I use kibble when I need jackpot rewards, but this really doesn't look like a big challenge and if it had more pieces of food in it, it wouldn't change a whole lot. I still think my pup would pick it up and sling it around! Thanks for the video, and your guy is sure getting big!

16. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Think it would help people that feed kibble as their main diet and worry that their dog is eating to fast out of a bowl and yes he is getting BIG