Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Micky is home!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by pheonix080, Dec 18, 2018.

1. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

Micky arrived home this morning. He was introduced to the back yard; so he understands where to eliminate. We explored the house together . . . on a limited basis. Some areas are off limits for curious young pups.

He has been super affectionate & playful. He loves the backyard. We walked around together. He followed me most of the time.

His appetite is good and his stools appear firm (so happy that they are firm). . .

Crate training will be a chore. He wants to be all over me constantly. Should I crate him in a central location like the kitchen or in my bedroom?

He met our cat. She wasn’t ready to play yet, but she’s curious, which is a good sign. She didnt hiss or scratch and Micky picked up on her chilly reception of him and didn’t press his luck.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  2. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

i so love the smell of puppy. such a sweet looking boy.

3. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

Thanks! We just woke up from a couch nap, haha. He heard the trash truck stop out front of the house. . . he didn’t seem pleased by its intrusion of his puppy dreams.

• Like Like x 2
  4. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

So sweet. Congratulations!

5. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww so cuute. Look at his thick little legs! Congrats on your new pup! Are you planning on signing up for basic obedience when the time comes?

For crate training, you can put his kennel wherever is easiest for you. Having it in a common area may make him settle down more quickly or may make things worse because of the activity, it really depends. Its good to have him go in there throughout the day, just because! So that he learns you wont always be leaving and will learn to quiet down faster because you can reward him by letting him out once he is quiet. Stick with it! Once you make it over the "puppy scream inside the crate" hurdle you will find the time spent into it is a godsend in the future when you have a relaxed dog passed out in their kennel. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

I was planning on waiting until the holiday season ended, while doing some foundation work with him. I found a local obedience training school with a philosophy I like.

I am taking the next three weeks off to be around and set a consistent schedule and bond with him.

What age is ideal to begin formal puppy education?

I am tempted to wait until 16 weeks. I lost a puppy to parvo many years ago. . . Its a real concern of mine. That said, I dont want my fear to limit Micky with training & socialization.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

We actually had two crates for Moo (but only one for Rubie because I lived in an apartment that was all on the same level).

He had a small crate in the kitchen where we'd feed him but that was mostly so they were learn to ignore each others food bowls.

His big, regular, overnight crate is up in our bedroom (started with a divider to keep it small). Even now, I'll sometimes put them up there if I need to get work done and I'm home. I can make all the noise in the world and they don't usually fuss. Usually.... :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Salicious

Salicious New Member

So cute! Crate training is certainly a chore. Our boy started to settle down after about a week of consistent night time crating. In my limited experience, things took a turn for the better once we moved the crate into the living room where we spend most of our time. I trained him to go into his crate and sit shortly after he learned the sit command. Then I would treat him, lock the crate, and treat him again once he would settle down and be quiet. He learned pretty quickly from that point. I just keep trying to get him to associate the crate with good experiences and treats! Good luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww he's cute! :congrats:

I got our pups used to the crate by feeding them in there and that's where our male still wants to eat at 7 years old. We put our crate in a spot where we spend most of the time so they can see us, but still relax and sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I start training day one that they come home but no public training until all the parvo shots have been given. So any class settings should wait till he has them all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

I really like the two crate idea. I was wondering about that. . . I got in my own head, assuming that Micky might get confused by two crates. . . I am overthinking things.

I appreciate the response, and will give it a go. Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  12. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

Thanks! I have been feeding Micky in the crate so far. Its the travel carrier; I set it up in the living room. Its centrally located, roomy and easy to clean if (when) he makes a mess of meal time.

Also, to clarify: no blankets, toys or anything at all in the crate at night. Thats what I am doing tonight anyway. . . but I am soft hearted and want to offer him a blanket (I wont). . . Even though my rational mind knows darn well that hes fine in there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

I really appreciate the support on this. I will do as you suggest and wait until all the parvo boosters have been administered. That said, I began implementing training (at home) today. Just gonna build on it a day at a time.

14. pheonix080

pheonix080 New Member

Thank you for the insight.

A week. . . Good to have a working time frame. I have to manage my expectations. I could have easily gotten into my head a few days in and assumed I was doing things incorrectly.

I will bear in mind to reward calm and make the crate a positive place to be (where all the cool kids go, haha).

• Like Like x 3
  15. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

Ooh, two crates. I had not considered that. Hmm.

16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I actually used beach towels in the crate since it made it more comfy for them and they're super easy to wash in case they do have an accident. The towels are also much less appealing to want to try to chew up.