Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Mercy is eating dirt.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by C908, Oct 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM.

1. C908

C908 Notable member

Wondering if anyone else has problems with their dog eating dirt. Mercy just turned 5 months on Oct 12th. She eats 1 1/4 cups of Fromm twice a day. She acts like she is starving, sometimes I feed her 3 times a day. I weighed her a few days ago she was at 36 lbs. I'm wondering if I should change her diet or just increase the amount I'm feeding. I tried putting her on Pro Biotics about a month ago and it gave her diarea. I'm wondering if I gave her a smaller amount of Pro Biotics if that would have made a difference. Anyone have experience with this ?

2. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

1 1/4 cups twice a day sounds like very little. I was feeding Rose 2 1/2. Cups twice a day at that age. As far as eating dirt, Rose used to do it quite a bit and rabbit poop. Deer poop and anything else she could get. Maybe a puppy thing I dont know. She doesn't do it much anymore

3. C908

C908 Notable member

Thanks for that information, guess I will increase her amounts starting in the morning. Funny thing is her Uncle Preacher just eats 1 3/4 cups twice a day and he is 96 lbs of solid muscle.

4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think the majority do. Titan certainly does. Lol

As for a possible dietary deficiency, look into her diet to make sure she’s getting the right amount of nutrients and minerals.

If it’s not a medical or behavioral issue, she’s eating dirt because she’s curious.
    I would keep a very close eye on her in your yard and when out and about. If she begins to indulge in dirt, you need to distract her immediately. Once you have her attention, offer her a toy. Make that toy seem as exciting as possible so that she completely forgets about the dirt.
    Make sure she’s getting adequate physical and mental stimulation to counter the boredom.
    Pica in dogs can quickly escalate and become VERY dangerous. I would highly recommend redirecting her.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think it just depends for food amount. Ripley eats 3c a day and was doing great on that. Shot up in growth a lot this past month, this week even! She seems to be slowing down again a little and getting a little thick for once. We feed her 3x a day and she will be 5 months Oct 31st. She has puppy class on Monday, Confo class on Thursday and Swimming on Friday with personal training and exercise at home/the real world in between so she's very active.

Good luck with the dirt eating... you will probably have to keep her on leash; potty, and back in to help curb it. I think she will grow out of it if you stay on top. Puppies seem to like to eat everything they can even if it's not edible, especially while teething. Ripley went through a poop eating phase but she's grown out of it. :sick:Id scoop every time as soon as I'd see it but sometimes she would poop when I wasn't watching and then it's gone and I had no idea it was there to begin with and she ate it :sick:Her sister Phoebe liked to try to "bury" her poop so I think it was a OCD thing trying to hide it for them both like their mom would. Ya glad that's over with!!

Has she had a fecal sample done lately?

6. C908

C908 Notable member

Yes she had a fecal sample done not long ago. She had an intestinal infection shortly after we got her. She was on medication for 10 days and then retested to be sure the infection was gone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We were feeding 2 cups 3 times a day at that age then cut back as the get older usually by a year old.

8. C908

C908 Notable member

Thanks Eric, I'm going to increase her starting today.

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

LOL join the dirt eating club, except now we have snow instead of dirt. ;)

We have always fed our pups 3 times per day until they're around 6 months and they do eat nearly twice as much when they're growing as they do as adults. Phoebe is getting about 1 1/4 cups 3X/day.

10. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Look at the feeding instructions on the bag. Although these are just starting points. Each dog is different.
    You also have to go by how the dog looks.
    Adding more food per day I would maybe feed 3x's per day.

[​IMG]