Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Man stabs pit bull inside PetSmart

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Sep 4, 2014.

1. shadash

shadash Notable member

The pit bull people that are defending this dog are crazy.

1. The Westie was on leash
    2. The Pit bull was off leash
    3. The Wesie had an owner that obviously cared for his dog

What if the Pit Bull attacked (or played with depending on your POV) a child and the child ended up with "wounds in their neck, ear torn up, an eye with a hematoma, and a ripped up forehead"

I like dogs but I really dislike pit bull people that are blind to the fact that some pit bulls are simply a menace and need to be removed from society.

2. FredC

FredC Guest

Lol some of us know from experience that the online pit bull community can be even crazier than the Doberman people.. And that is a pretty bold statement. Because we all know the Doberman community is pretty damn crazy in it's own right. :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. kashi

kashi Hot Topics Subscriber

Ok well I have owned pitties and dobermanns. I would have to say that as general rule of thumb pittes are more aggressive, less stable and harder to train. The sad fact is dog fighting is a sport that is very much alive and continues to thrive up until this day, pit bulls and their kin (other bully breeds) are used for this disgusting blood sport while we sit here typing on our keyboards. There are legions of **&tards out their breeding these poor guys to be unnaturally aggressive and to never give up in a fight, which is completely against nature in the dog world. I can not blame the pit bulls because the stupid psychotic people who get their kicks out of watching these poor guys rip each other up need frontal lobotomies. However it would be stupid of me to deny the reality around the pit bull, which is you might get a sweetie pie pitte, but the blood sport of dog fighting is in their veins and often we don't know what bloodlines/heritigate the pit bull in question has. Its very sad and having had rescued pit bull I can't say I will rush in to it again. There is so much responsibility that goes along with owning that breed its crazy, makes a dobermann seem like a walk in the park (in a very good way). The problem with a pit bull in a fight is its going to end in death or in a later fatality for some one, its the way us arse**le humans have bred them. All this sick posturing with them as tough guys dogs is also pathetic.

In the dog park I go to there's a pair of pitties and a couple of Staffordshire bull terriers. Layla was attacked by a Staffie puppy, she was super confused by it and the owners thought it was funny. I was like guys you need to do something about your dog its not going to stay six months forever. On the other hand Layla plays with two adult staffs. The pit bulls' owner never lets them off lead which I would say is wise. In South Africa we have a breed of dog called a Boerboel (name means farm bull) which we have as many problems with as the pittes as they have also been bred to be aggressive beyond reason, whats even worse with the boerboels is that they can weigh over a 100kgs or 220lbs.

As amazing as some of these power breeds can be they all need to come with strict warnings and a lifetime of training. They are not to ego strokers or fashion accessories. The heritage of these dogs make them a loaded weapon that needs to be controlled at all times.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

When an adoption agency holds an event in a public location there is an implied assumption that those handling dogs are capable of controlling them. Had the dog not gotten loose NONE of this would have happened. Throw in the hysteria of the "pitbull" image and you have disaster waiting to happen. I do believe stabbing or taking any action that results in death is a very serious action and not to be taken lightly.

I am surprised more are not upset that a volunteer of the rescue group that lost control of a dog - that is where it all started. In the end I believe the man had the right to protect his dog. I can just imagine the screaming that would be going on just the same had the children witnessed the dog kill the little dog. PetSmart has a big PR problem to deal with now regardless and once again it puts all dogs in bad light and they could come out with a policy that NO DOGS ALLOWED.

• Like Like x 4
  5. FredC

FredC Guest

Maybe this is why you can't just take any ole dog to Walmart.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dobs4ever

It maybe why there are very few places we can take our dogs - we use them as a tool for socialization ----I can tell you if I were PetSmart I would have to seriously reconsider letting the adoption agency ever come back. Sadly too many shelters do not even train their people let alone the dogs.

I was PetSmart up by the airport one time last year to ship a puppy and stopped by PetSmart - there was an adoption agency there on that day. Helio and I were walking around and people were petting him and I had him do some obedience. There was a girl in the training class they had going on and she had a pitbull dragging her around the store and she kept getting closer and closer to Helio who was sitting at my side as I talked to people. The PetSmart people and trainer said NOTHING.......... Finally she got a lot closer than I liked since she did not have control of her dog. I put my hand up and said STOP and don't come any closer as you do not have control of your dog and he is invading my dogs space. I did not care if it embarrassed her. I did not want to make the headlines. The asked me if I would come train for them. I laughed.

People must control their dogs and train them - don't endanger everyone by going out in public if you don't control your dog. I hope the adoption agency has to pay for the medical bills but in the end PetSmart is holding the bag on this one.

• Like Like x 4
  7. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

No hard feelings! I had to read the article twice myself before I came to that conclusion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I will say by the original article it looked like the man stabbed the dog needlessly. Although other reporting sites it seems like he may have been in the right. We just dont know right now.

So to clarify my comments. If my dog broke leash, ran over to a small dog and was playing rough, or just playing in general. Then the owner took out a knife and tried to stab my dog because of breed/size, said owner would leave in a body bag. In the situation where my dog was brutally attacking another dog, Im not exactly sure what I would do but I would do my best to break up the situation quickly without further damage to any dog.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shadash

shadash Notable member

I agree, I likely wouldn't have taken out the knife but I wasn't at Petsmart that day. Maybe his actions saved his dogs life. Nobody knows except the people that were there.

Because of all the emotions involved people are likely shaping they're memories based on the outcome they desire. Here's a really good example of this...

"Erin Burr was at PetSmart when the incident occurred. According to Burr, Clara had been taken outside to go to the bathroom. After Clara and her handler came back in Burr said the man said “If you bring that f***ing pit bull near me I’m going to stab it.”"

If you love pitbulls you'll see this as the guy threatening the dog and Erin Burr is definitely trying to shape this image with her words. But what if the Westie's owner saw that the pitbull was vicious and out of control before anything happened and was warning the pitbull handler to back off. To have that same dog that you've identified as vicious later attack your dog would send many people over the edge.

In the end police will have to make a decision based on the facts.

1. The westie was on a leash
    2. The pit bull was off leash
    3. Both dogs sustained injuries. The Westie's injuries were caused by the Pit Bull and the Pit Bulls inguries were caused by the Westies owner.

Self Defense or Attack it doesn't matter. The Pit Bull was off leash.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

All great points,and we might never know the real answers.
    Was the guy seeing a dog with vicious tendencies?
    Or was he a loon and already had the defensive mind set?A mindset a dog picks up in a fraction of a second.

If I'm reading this right it happened inside the store.
    There should be security video.
    If one were involved in this case that video would go a very long way in court in favor of one or the other.
    Part of me wouldn't want to watch that video,yet another part of me wouldn't allow me to not watch it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dobs4ever

For me once it came out the pitbull was loose that changed the whole picture for me. We must be responsible and have control of our dogs at all times. If you can't control a dog don't walk it on leash in public period. It puts all at risk.

What kind of training and experience handling dogs did the shelter worker have??? Did they have any training??? Just supposing what if it had been a child that was attacked??? That would certainly change the picture and justify the cause. I think it the whole thing is pretty frightening for all concerned and you would only have seconds to act.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I know some people think that this is a dog fighting tool (it isn't) but I believe it is the shelter's responsibility to carry a break stick, double checked the gear, and any other EXTRA precautions when handling a breed that is genetically dog aggressive. Now, not all dogs that are a bully breed are dog aggressive but is in the genes just like it is in a retriever's to retrieve, a herding dog to herd, etc. Maybe they shouldn't bother taking bully breeds to public locations with other dogs. It's awful on all sides what happened.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Dobs4ever

The breed itself was not genetically dog aggressive - Dog aggression can and is part of any breed but good breeders do not breed to promote it. Sadly some of the scum who breed pitbulls do specifiically breed for that trait. Just did not want anyone to think the pit bull was normally dog aggressive and Rits if I misunderstood I apologize.

14. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You didn't misunderstand me. American Pit Bull Terriers were first bred as fighting dogs not too terribly long ago when it was legal and considered a sport by, yes, even the american people. First bred to bait bear and bull but then that was deemed inhumane so ratting and dog fighting was where the breed went. Now, both of those "sports" are illegal. As we get further away, yes, breeders are breeding away from DA but what the breed originally was used for also attributes to why they are so greatly human friendly today because of needing to be handled by their owners in such a high prey drive state of mind.

From it's parent registry:
    The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/Terrier/AmericanPitBullTerrier

• Like Like x 4
  15. Gelcoater

image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 5
  17. Gelcoater

• Like Like x 4
  18. Crutch & Ursa's Veteran

Crutch & Ursa's Veteran Forum Shyboy Hot Topics Subscriber

Any more, stories such as this now only make me sad. A mere several years ago, I was strong, and could have easily made/formed an opinion on an issue like this, chosen a side, and then provided sufficient banter on the matter (in support of my chosen opinion), if requested.
    But now a days, I just cry out loud...then I have to go listen to 80's music till I feel better.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FredC

FredC Guest

So your saying it would be ok with you if someone put a bullet in your head because you lost control of your dog? I hope i misunderstood but damn Matt.. Your much more extreme then i am.. I might on purposely accidentally kick the owner a cpl times while trying to break up the fight.. But a bullet is a pretty permanent solution to a temporary problem.. And who is going to take care of your dog while your sitting in the penitentiary getting your rear end tickled by Bubba?

edit: ok so i did misunderstand... But your trigger finger does seem kinda twitchy..

• Like Like x 3
  20. FredC

FredC Guest

Kinda how i feel some days.. And seems more frequent as times rolls on..

• Like Like x 3