Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Man stabs pit bull inside PetSmart

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Sep 4, 2014.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Genny brought this one to my attention. So sad... :(

[​IMG]

NEWNAN, GA (WXIA) — Police are investigating the stabbing of a pit bull inside a PetSmart Sunday. It happened in front of dozens of families with children during one of the advertised adoption days.

A volunteer with the Newnan-Coweta Humane Society was walking a pit bull named Clara. Clara managed to slip out of her collar and approached a smaller white Westie Terrier and was pulling on its ear, according to the police report.

"It is the worst thing I've ever seen," said Teresa Reeves, who was there with her fiancé, Mike Wohler. "We heard screaming at the front of the store and went running to see what was happening. The pit bull had the smaller dog at the back of the neck holding the loose skin and fur there."

That's when a number of witnesses say the owner of the dog, identified by police as Craig Emory, started yelling then pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed Clara several times.

"It didn't look like the dogs were even fighting, but [Emory] was pummeling the dog (...) then I realized he wasn't punching the dog. He was stabbing it," Wohler said.

Reeves recalls seeing blood "everywhere."

Wohler said he was able to pull the pit bull's mouth open and get the dogs separated as PetSmart employees ran over with a spray bottle and air horn. Employees later told police those are things they use when dogs get into fights in the store.

Clara had to be euthanized because of her injuries, according to several websites run by animal activists.

WXIA-TV reached out to PetSmart for a response on the incident. The company said, "Our top priority is the safety of pet parents and pets in our stores. We are working with the pet parent of the Westie to make sure it makes a full recovery."

But Reeves and Wohler insist that the Westie was fine and think Emory should face charges for what happened.

"You can't just walk into a floor and stab a dog in front of families and children," Wohler said.

Original source:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/02/petsmart-bit-pull-stabbing/14952775/

• Like Like x 2
  2. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I wish someone would try to pull that on my dog. They would have 6 .357 hollow points lodged in their skull.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

When I read this story my thoughts went immediately to the 100's of times that I have taken my dogs to a pet store. Not too long ago I was attacked in a pet store by a crazy lady that tried to take Drake away from me. She thought because he was intact and on a prong collar that I was some sort of abusive owner that was breeding dogs in my basement. Just think if I didn't have control of my dog and he bit her. Things could be very different for me right now.
    Too bad the lady didn't have Clara on a prong collar, things could be very different for her.
    I feel horrible that this happened but I can't say I blame the Westie owner. I would protect my dog too. With that said, not sure it would be with pocket knife.

Learn to control tour dogs people and for God's sake train them. It could save their life!

• Like Like x 6
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I doubt I'm confused, but the story reads to me like it was the dog's owner who fatally stabbed her. A humane society volunteer was walking her on leash (I couldn't tell you why it wasn't the owner holding the leash. I'm only going on what I read above.) when she escaped her collar and attacked the Westie. The Petsmart employees came running with a spray bottle and air horn, not a knife. The dog's owner killed her. The customers who witnessed the stabbing and gave an interview to the press want the dog's owner prosecuted for killing a dog with a pocket knife in a public place before the eyes of children.

If you pull that on your dog, you'll have to shoot yourself in the head. You should read and understand the story before talking about getting your .357 out. I'm not anti-gun. I have my CCW permit. I never wish someone would do anything that would make me have to shoot. Saying that you wish someone would try to pull that on your dog makes you sound itchy to pull the trigger.

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand the story and just made a knee-jerk response, but I take getting out the guns quite seriously.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ingrid H

Why would you stab your own dog to death if it were in a non-lethal sort of fight?

6. FredC

FredC Guest

7. FredC

FredC Guest

We may never know but i would suspect a mental illness (i mean seriously who could do that to their own Dog under almost any circumstance?)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ingrid H

Well, I've had to resort to some "techniques" to break up fights that I normally couldn't imagine using. It was more like the adrenaline kicked in and everything I'd ever been exposed to in life came back just to stop it. I'm not proud of that, but no dogs were injured.
    Maybe this guy knew his dog was DA. Maybe it had a bite history. He's gotta be nuts to bring a DA dog to such a social situation, give up the leash, and then stab his dog to death for getting into a fight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FredC

FredC Guest

Me to like sticking my own hands inside a red zone dogs mouth.. But umm stabbing a dog to death in a public store inst normal for anyone with their head screwed on straight.. hell even a little crooked would be odd.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

He didn't stab his own dog. He stabbed a dog he believed was attacking his own. Another case of idiocy and lack of dog knowledge causing harm to a dog. I'm torn here. Stabbing was obviously not the proper solution but if I thought a dog was attacking one of mine I'd do everything I could to protect them.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree.

Earlier this year(the "incident" with Daisy and the LFD in the hills)the owner was trying to kick Daisy.I wasn't offended or pissed off about it.
    She was doing what she felt she had to,she was scared shitless.She also never connected though.
    Stabbing is a bit (ok,a lot ) extreme.
    A full psych eval should be done on that dude.

• Like Like x 3
  12. FredC

FredC Guest

Well that would make a little more sense.. (still crazy) but not as crazy as shanking your own Dog..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

Unless I read your post wrong, I believe you are implying the pit bull, Clara, had an owner and Clara was then stabbed by her owner?

According to several other reports, here is one: http://fox2now.com/2014/09/03/man-stabs-pit-bull-in-petsmart-after-it-allegedly-attacked-his-dog-2/

Craig Emory owned the Yorkshire terrier who was allegedly attacked, stabbed Clara the pit bull, which was there as part of an adoption event and was also why a volunteer was walking it. Clara had no owner.

When you told Matt "You should read and understand the story..." I think he actually did understand the story.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I had to read it a few times too to put it all together, but it sounds like the little dogs owner stabbed the Pit since she didn't even have an owner and was looking for a good home. She never got it. :(

I think part of it is peoples interpretation of certain breeds and perhaps the Pit was just trying to play when the owner saw the "dangerous breed" as a threat like we all experience with our Doberman's when we're out and about. I certainly don't know, but something sounds amiss somewhere.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Kitty's mom

Kitty's mom Hot Topics Subscriber

IMO, poorly written article. Most likely the "dog's owner" is referring to the owner of the Westie.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

pure speculation on my part,his behavior sounds like either a psycho or a convict.I suspect this dude has been in the joint and just reacted like he was still there.

17. shadash

shadash Notable member

Very interesting responses...

I read the article as an adoption group was at the pet store showing off their dogs + looking for potential owners. One of the potentially adoptable dogs got loose and either attacked (or tried to play with depending on your pov) a Westie. The Westie's owner viewed it as an attack on his dog and took action.

I don't see what the problem is here. While the Westie's owners response seems extreme we weren't there so who's to say stabbing the pit bull didn't save his dogs life.

I live in a border city (San Diego) and I run into put bulls daily. Some are nice and some are outright scary. The problem with Pit Bulls is that they're breed to be killers and there's no temperament selection going on. If a pit bull went after the Westie as described in the article and meant to do damage the Westie wouldn't stand a chance.

18. Ingrid H

Thanks for setting me straight! I owe Matt an apology.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ingrid H

I'm sorry for my earlier reply. It's obvious to me now that I was the one who was not understanding the story correctly. You had it right all along.

• Like Like x 5
  20. shadash

shadash Notable member

Here's a better written article with more info...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nt-dozens-adults-children-watched-horror.html

"The pit bull came charging past me and my family and straight towards this small dog who was on a leash,' wrote eyewitness Kathy Stottlar, who said she was standing a foot from the incident, on Facebook.

'His owner was checking him in or out at the vet hospital. The pit was not on a leash. Don’t know if he broke his leash or whoever had him lost his grip or what. It was terrifying.'

Both dogs were taken to a local vet. The Westie Terrier Lexie suffered minor injuries.

'After 3 hours at emergency clinic, sweet Lexie had to stay overnight, the wounds in her neck are building up fluid, her ear is tore up, and her eye has an hematoma and ripped up her forehead, looks terrible with blood building up in eye!' wrote owner Tracie Hayes on Facebook.

'Lots of antibiotics, shots and rest, will be better in about two weeks, said the vet. Craig said she was crying like crazy when he left. Poor baby.'"

The Westie owner doesn't sound as crazy when more details come out.