Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Man gets mauled by police dog for improper bicycle lighting

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Jun 16, 2016.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Shocking video has surfaced of a police dog clamping down on a man's armpit and refusing to let go for several minutes, causing serious injury. The victim had been pulled over for riding his bike without the proper lights attached to it, although he was drunk and acted belligerently toward the police.

Man gets mauled by police dog for improper bicycle lighting

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

:mad: Just irritating to watch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Dobie Wan Knobie

Dobie Wan Knobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No abuse of power there! There was absolutely no reason for that, and I am very surprised this video is out in the public domain. I wonder how this story ended?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DoberMink

DoberMink Member

Omg, that was hard to watch! Why didn't the officer call the dog off?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gelcoater

As I said in the chat box earlier,I have to wonder what if any back story there is between the cop(s) and this bicycle rider.
    Not that it would just warrant an IMO unprovoked attack,but I wonder.

I'm thinking with this video the bike guy has a pretty good civil case.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DoberMink

DoberMink Member

More and more I am afraid to leave my house... =(

Terrorists around one corner, legit criminals around another, 'law enforcement' around another....jeez....

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gelcoater

I realize what I'm about to type is very anecdotal but here goes.
    In another forum a frequent poster was commenting on a different incident some time ago and claimed he was buddies with a K-9 handler.The handlers dog as he went on in describing was a beast when it got a hold of something or someone.Getting it to let go was the challenge.
    Is it possible (again just my speculation and question) that these police K-9 are trained a bit less in obedience and a bit more in bite?

To add a bit to my anecdotal post.
    In December I went out to the Glamis dunes on a day run a couple days before New Year's Day.
    That weekend is a big weekend,LEO are everywhere.
    I stopped in the last town to fuel up,and wondered if I needed a camping permit to ride for one day,without staying over night.
    As it happened there were two BLM officers fueling up at the station I was at.
    I walked up,very polite and posed my question.
    Both officers(driving separate vehicles) were fairly polite and helpful.
    You know who wasn't polite?
    The K-9 Malinois in his Ford cruiser.
    He barked and barked.Repeated verbal command from his handler had no effect what so ever,he wanted a piece of my ass.:eek:
    To be frank,I had not been drinking,had no drugs to smell,was not acting or speaking in a threatening tone.
    Yet,that dog not only wanted to go but completely disregarded his handlers repeated command to quiet.

Does that sound like a well trained,obedient dog?
    Personally I suppose if that dog got a hold of me or anyone a verbal "Off" wouldn't have done a damn thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Anecdotal here too, but driven by common sense. I don't doubt there are many police K9s on duty that are not adequately trained in obedience and being called off a bite, or to out a bite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gelcoater

You know?
    To add here.
    I have seen a bunch of police dogs "getting the bad guy" but I don't recall one where the dog put a perp in a bark and hold.They all went straight to bite.
    Again that might be anecdotal but can anyone post a vid of a police K-9 performing a bark and hold?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  10. Dobie Wan Knobie

Dobie Wan Knobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

K9 is not ipo. That type of K9 is trained to apprehend the perp with full force - that is their purpose. It can be very difficult for the dog to release once engaged in attack/bite work, as this type of K9's are driven for this purpose. I would venture to say that not many ipo dogs could even performe in K9 service. It may look the same but it is not even close to the same level. The emphasis is not obedience training, although they do excell in that. Thier purpose is to be a weapon in the hands of the handler, and once they engage a perp their focus is on them, and on them alone, and the handler has to break that focus and get it back on them, and this can be very challenging.

The officer should have never sent the dog for a situation like that. That was way overkill, and the bike rider posed no threat whatsoever to the officer. This is just another example of the overuse of force, and is a shame on the cop that did this. A dog like that is a deadly weapon, the cop might as well have shot the guy in the shoulder, as the result was about the same. It looks to me like the cop was looking for an excuse to turn the dog loose, as he should have been able to handle the situation on his own.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Oh Little Oji

I agree with the second paragraph.

The first, not totally – if I may say. I think a high-level IPO competitor hits the sleeve with as much force and vigor as a K9 hits the arm. The big difference, it seems to me, is that it is far too much a game to the sport dog. It may be considered to be a game to the K9 as well, but there has to be a good level of actual "malice and ill-intent" (to use human terms) on the part of the K9. I believe they choose dogs who accel at that part, and they focus heavily on promoting and training for that aggression.

I feel, however, that is is imperative that the cops also work just as hard on a crisp and reliable "ous." There is no excuse for a K9 to not let go as close to immediately as possible on the command of the handler. Yes, things can get very hectic with all sorts of screaming and yelling but there needs to be training to deal with all that and have the dog be able to hear and obey the handler. At least the K9 in this video seemed to be trained to go for something close to the arm. If it went for the face/neck it would have been far worse.

As for Gel's question regarding a bark and hold: I think it would be great if a police K9 could be trained to be an effective biter and holder as well as have the capability to bark and hold. Maybe it's too much to ask of a dog. Maybe they need to start using Dobermans again. It all depends on the situation of course. Sometimes you need to just "send the dog" and have him go in and bite. Sometimes a bark and hold would be a great alternative. You might argue the K9 could get shot while standing there barking; but the cops would not allow that to happen. They would be drawn down on the guy already, and would not send the dog if they were unsure if the perp had a weapon. Further, part of the bark and hold is for the dog to immediately lunge in for a bite if the bad guy moves, right?

12. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

A good point that my fiance brought up, he was not thrilled with the term "ous"... he said it sounds too similar to "ouch" if ous is the release word and the perp yells ouch, what if the dog releases on an inaccurate command? Just speculation, and I don't have IPO experience. This just came up when we talked about it, and we started using the German commands with mischa "just in case" I went through with bite work

13. Oh Little Oji

Yes! I thought of that years ago and had the same thought. Great minds! I decided to not use the command "ous" or "out."

• Like Like x 1