Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Male puppy starting to mark

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dogdoc, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

My male dobie is 9 months old and has recently started to urine mark at his obedience class and a couple of times at Pet Smart. I really want to be able to continue taking him places with me but have never had to deal with an intact ball of hormones before. I want to do obedience, agility, and scent work with him but really need to curb this behavior immediately so that we are able to take part in these things. Besides an immediate correction, does anyone have any other advice?

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

The best way I've been able to curb my lab from doing this is literally just trying to anticipate it and prevent it. If he started sniffing in obedience class, I pull out a 'watch me' or something and reward. If we're in a pet store or brewery and he starts sniffing at something for more than 2 seconds, "MOOSE!!!" and treat when he looks at me. Correction if he does manage a little tinkle is also given.

He did mark once in agility class and we walked right off the course and into his crate to wait for his next turn. He hasn't done it since in class, ring rentals, or trials. *fingers crossed*

Not sure if it's the best method but it seems to have worked for us. We're still working on when we visit other people's houses ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

What @LifeofRubie said. Best to stop before the actual deed is done, so watch watch watch & learn his signs. Almost all competitions you will be disqualified if your dog eliminates on the field. Also you can start with daily walks. Let him pee once or twice when you start out, then not again. Marking every 10 feet with you on the other end of the leash makes him think its OK. Also, neutering will not change this much, so training is the key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Correction is key. My intact male is 3 and we go to Pet Smart regularly, he has never lifted a leg in there, and although the place seems to be clean looks and smell wise, I’m sure there must be markings around.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think we've all been there at one time or another. Neutering really didn't help with Albert but - this was a draft from last night and I forgot where I was going from there. :bag:

At any rate, you can usually get it under control with constant watch and being one step ahead of the dog.

6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bogie started this around 7mo old. It was so frustrating. I would take him out and kept him on a lead and led him everywhere so he could totally empty his bladder. I also restricted water intake at night.

When we went to stores and other indoor places I would watch him like a hawk and would correct before he could move after sniffing. You can usually tell when it’s going to happen because they will sniff then take a step forward to hike on the scent. Those are generally the tell signs that it’s about to happen so keep his head up and don’t allow sniffing. Correct if he does.

Eventually he stopped but not until I went crazy with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

We have a "nose up/no sniffing" rule and keep them on a short tab lead in areas they might be tempted to mark. And for sure, neutering doesn't stop it....both our guys are neutered and it doesn't slow them down a bit.