Male or Female Doberman?

There are quite a few here with Dobermans and cats and they do just fine. As long as your cat has an escape place he can go if the puppy starts pestering they shouldn't have any trouble.

I have a cat and Jan is right. They need escape routes. Our puppies love our cat, just a little too much at times. We put a few cat doors up, and problem solved. She is the resident escape artist.

:welcome: to DCF! Lots of great answers here for you. I'm all for a female also. I have a male Doberman, Buddy, and even when I started looking for a small dog rescue prospect, I was only looking into females. Kali and Buddy get along very well. :D You have lots of information at your fingertips here in our Forum so join in the conversations and enjoy yourself!

We have two cats. We are very strict that Isis is NEVER allowed to pester or chase the cats. However, we also have excape places for our cats too. I dont usually trust my dogs loose in the house alone (like when we are gone) until they are over 1-1/2 years old anyway so they have usually learned by then that they must not mess with the cats.
May 6 2012.jpg

We had a cat for 18 years and through two Dobermans. While I never saw them together like Freem6 (though I wished! :( ) they got along just fine. I also didn't allow 'pestering'. :nono:

I also agree a female would be the easiest route. If you are planning on doing protection with this dog you will definitely want to find a high prey drive puppy. Protection training will require a lot of drive building in your dog. This may become a conflict with your cat. Having escape routes for the cat may work. Our two boys have learned the art of tag team when it comes to rabbits, squirrels and birds in the backyard, so if your pitbull and Doberman learn to work together it may become a miserable time for the cat.

Thanks guys. :) My cat definitely has a lot of places to escape to already due to the Pit. He gets along fine with the Pit, but he gets in his moods and he wants to play and he'll try to play with my cat and he'll usually just take off and find a place to hide. Eventually the Pit will calm down and my cat will come back out. I'd definitely have to watch them, though, getting a Doberman. But I'm hoping the Doberman and Pit will be able to play and not try to tag-team my cat. lol. I'm sure there will be times when they try to, so I'll have to keep on top of it. We always lock the Pit up when we leave, though. We don't want the possibility he'll hurt, or kill, my cat. Even by accident. My cat usually keeps his distance from the dog, sometimes he'll come up and sniff him and poke at him, but once the dog moves my cat starts to walk away. He definitely likes to investigate new animals. Haha. I hope they'll do good together. :)

Hello and welcome from Michigan:dc::welcome:
If it were me I would be looking for a female.

I have not read all what others have said it's just my
my opinion.:)

Back