Magazines!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I ordered some UDC back issues because I love a paper magazine better than scrolling online. Lots of great articles & photos photos photos!!! Winter storm the next few days, these will be just the ticket for sitting in front of the fire.

Info on ordering, if you are interested: UDC Focus – United Doberman Club.

It's mostly bite sports, but there are some articles on agility, search & rescue, breeders ads, etc.

P1310904.JPG

I have a ton of back issues of the UDC and DPCA Pipeline magazines. I'm with you two about preferring to read a paper copy of anything over an e-edition.

I need to get some to take to Roatan since internet can be spotty at times.
I'm such a newbie at IGP, I use to think I knew a little bit since I've watched it from afar and known some people in it on & off since the freaking 1980's. But I don't know squat & the more I train the more I know what I don't know. :whistle: I learn something new just by reading the articles or interviews. I think these back issues are printed on demand as they come from a printing company, not UDC. Will there be a working club close by in Roatan?

I wish I would have know. I had tons. Drake's breeder gave them to me years ago so I could learn more about what was then Schutzhund. I just donated them to a local club :)
Kind of you to donate them! I try to donate everything before I toss.

Will there be a working club close by in Roatan?
No but there is a Canadian guy there that used to train in IPO and straight protection work that I will be working with.
He did it for 20yrs. Fellows name is William Weins. He emailed pictures and videos of him working with the dogs. Most of them were Rotties
along with Shepherds.
We will see if he is a good fit for Legend and I.
If not I will fly back stateside and work with Isidro and Sinead.

One good thing he did tell me was the islanders are terrified of Dobermans (trained or untrained).
So he said I shouldn’t worry about someone trying to rob me or a home invasion.

We live in a safe area on East end in First Bight. It’s in the middle of nowhere. Only a few distant neighbors at the edge of the rain forest.
@strykerdobe can tell you it’s in the boonies when he came to check out our place on one of his dive trips to the island.

I don’t worry too much because Bacall will flip a gourd if a stranger tries to come on the property or in the house.
Even where we live now, if a friend that she knows well tries to walk in the gate or house, she will not allow it.
If I let you in she is fine, just don’t come barging in unannounced because she will definitely hold you in place until I get there.

But I don't know squat & the more I train the more I know what I don't know
Same here! My knowledge of IPO could fit in a micro thimble. :D
Also Dobermanns have to be handled differently than other breeds because I have seen them totally shut down.

No but there is a Canadian guy there that used to train in IPO and straight protection work that I will be working with.
He did it for 20yrs. Fellows name is William Weins. He emailed pictures and videos of him working with the dogs. Most of them were Rotties
along with Shepherds.
We will see if he is a good fit for Legend and I.
If not I will fly back stateside and work with Isidro and Sinead.

One good thing he did tell me was the islanders are terrified of Dobermans (trained or untrained).
So he said I shouldn’t worry about someone trying to rob me or a home invasion.

We live in a safe area on East end in First Bight. It’s in the middle of nowhere. Only a few distant neighbors at the edge of the rain forest.
@strykerdobe can tell you it’s in the boonies when he came to check out our place on one of his dive trips to the island.

I don’t worry too much because Bacall will flip a gourd if a stranger tries to come on the property or in the house.
Even where we live now, if a friend that she knows well tries to walk in the gate or house, she will not allow it.
If I let you in she is fine, just don’t come barging in unannounced because she will definitely hold you in place until I get there.

LOL!!! Boonies for sure!!!!!!!!! Even our cab driver never knew that area existed!

Also Dobermanns have to be handled differently than other breeds because I have seen them totally shut down.
Have to ask @Doberman Gang about that. I know the softer Dobes would, but I've read two versions of this: one, hard core working bred Dobes can be pretty much on the same kind of handling and then what you said, even the hardest Dobes are still sensitive to a point where the helper has to work them differently. I'd think a good helper would treat EVERY dog differently and adjust to that dog, not by breed. But I haven't been around the block, so I can't really say... I'll be excited to watch your progress with Legend!!!

Have to ask @Doberman Gang about that. I know the softer Dobes would, but I've read two versions of this: one, hard core working bred Dobes can be pretty much on the same kind of handling and then what you said, even the hardest Dobes are still sensitive to a point where the helper has to work them differently. I'd think a good helper would treat EVERY dog differently and adjust to that dog, not by breed. But I haven't been around the block, so I can't really say... I'll be excited to watch your progress with Legend!!!
You are correct, it is a dog temperament thing not a Doberman thing. Unfortunately the majority of Doberman’s being breed are weak nerved. Some of this is taught by owners and some is genetic. I just read the dog in front of me, if I up the pressure in the dog and I see the dog loose confidence or get nervous, I back off and let the dog win and build more confidence. Working dogs including Doberman’s that have good genetics will thrive in training and love the fight. The key is starting young with building confidence and letting them feel empowered. Training starts day one they come home.

You are correct, it is a dog temperament thing not a Doberman thing. Unfortunately the majority of Doberman’s being breed are weak nerved. Some of this is taught by owners and some is genetic. I just read the dog in front of me, if I up the pressure in the dog and I see the dog loose confidence or get nervous, I back off and let the dog win and build more confidence. Working dogs including Doberman’s that have good genetics will thrive in training and love the fight. The key is starting young with building confidence and letting them feel empowered. Training starts day one they come home.
The Intelligence of Dogs - Wikipedia Just happened to see this article recently. Surprised to see the Mal as only no. 26 on the list. Would/n't that be because of their hardness, rather than less "intelligence"?

I think that book basically used a misnomer for a title. I my opinion, they weren't testing intelligence, they were testing trainability. Sight hounds (Borzoi is near the bottom of the list) are very intelligent but they have little desire to obey commands, much like a cat. All sight hounds were bred to be extremely independent (not listen to their human companions) because if they were waiting on you to tell the to go left or right when the rabbit jigged they'd never catch a thing. The more independent they were to catch prey the better they got at it & were bred as such. And that's just one example. Mals might have been lower on the list because difficulty to train due to excessive energy. I have met some really "dull" dogs, not much smarter than a box of rocks, so I know they exist. But what breeds were developed to do (small lap dog?) has a lot to do with how fast they learn commands or whether they even want to bother with trying. Einstein couldn't get through 1st grade & was considered hopeless as a student. Dogs that were bred to work alongside humans & in tandem with their humans tend to be the most "intelligent" to us, because they look to us with eagerness to understand what we ask & they want to please.

I think that book basically used a misnomer for a title. I my opinion, they weren't testing intelligence, they were testing trainability. Sight hounds (Borzoi is near the bottom of the list) are very intelligent but they have little desire to obey commands, much like a cat. All sight hounds were bred to be extremely independent (not listen to their human companions) because if they were waiting on you to tell the to go left or right when the rabbit jigged they'd never catch a thing. The more independent they were to catch prey the better they got at it & were bred as such. And that's just one example. Mals might have been lower on the list because difficulty to train due to excessive energy. I have met some really "dull" dogs, not much smarter than a box of rocks, so I know they exist. But what breeds were developed to do (small lap dog?) has a lot to do with how fast they learn commands or whether they even want to bother with trying. Einstein couldn't get through 1st grade & was considered hopeless as a student. Dogs that were bred to work alongside humans & in tandem with their humans tend to be the most "intelligent" to us, because they look to us with eagerness to understand what we ask & they want to please.
Like and agree. The title should say Trainability - not intelligence. There is absolutely so much more than obeying commands, as @Doberman Gang keeps pointing out. Such a large fascinating field of research, trying to bridge and explore the gap in communication between species. There is so much we humans do not know. And 1994 is already long ago. I did think the list seemed a bit unnuanced but still interesting.

Last edited:

Back