Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

New York Lure coursing anyone?

Discussion in 'United States Regional Forum' started by obbanner, Jul 14, 2013.

1. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

We have a lure coursing group in the Quakertown, PA, area. It's informal and all breed. Some dogs love it and it's great fun for them. We have a Facebook page for our communications. Let me know if you want in.

Art

• Like Like x 3
  2. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I would love to join!

Coursing is something i would love to get into, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be very popular around here, nor are their very many trials that don't all on conformation dates.

Seems like an excellent source for conditioning.

3. obbanner

CRD Go to Hilltown Dog Club Lure Coursing on Facebook for information and to join if you're interested. You can see our photos and videos from our runs. We started in April and get a larger turnout every time we run.

Diane, the founder of the group is waiting for delivery of a new machine before we run again. The original machine had too many problems with slippage. She has plans to eventually do UKC sanctioned trials.

• Like Like x 1
  4. obbanner

Lure Coursing - Labor Day Weekend

I got the following email confirming lure coursing for Labor Day weekend. All breeds are welcome to come. If you want to attend, PM me and I'll give you Diane's email address.

============================================

Ok folks, we are running Labor Day weekend. Sun and Mon at Turk Park 1086 Almhouse Road Warrington, Pa 18976 Setting up Sat late afternoon and running Sunday at 8 am and Monday at 9 am. till when we are done, so let me know who is in and what time you are running. Please do on the hour times, i will let you know if i have to change your time. Hope to see you all. Diane

5. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I wish I lived closer!!! I found a group over an hour away that does coursing and had Archer on the way to his title, but they stopped meeting :(

They had corsing at the conformation show I was at last weekend in OK (I'm in KS) and I let Faith and Aria have a go at it. Faith was awesome!!!

Looking for another group to join. Anyone know how to locate any?

6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@Archer - Total bummer that they stopped meeting! I'm sure you could find another club or at least find a local event to attend and maybe ask there. Java doesn't course anymore per se but she does have her CA and loved it! I may let her run one more time but as she's getting older I don't want to push her too much at this age.

Did your gang get pretty riled up? I think that's my favorite part is to watch them get so darn excited, especially waiting their turn.

There is a fb group for non-sighting hounds CATs for AKC and UKC to share pics, questions, and events. You probably can ask yourself or use the search function in the group and look for your state. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sighthoundfakers/

AKC CAT calendar
    https://www.apps.akc.org//apps/events/search/index.cfm

UKC CAT calendar I don't really like the UKC's calendar. Look for the LC acronym.
    http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/EventView?Open&Group=DogEvents&Type=M

Im sure you already have used the AKC's club finder? Probably might even be the club you are referring to :p
    https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/club_...=1&active_tab_col_A=1&fixed_tab=1&club_id=600

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. obbanner

Since this thread arose from the dead, I'll post this weekends (May 30-31) email invitation. This is in eastern PA about 25 miles north of Philadelphia.

Hi all, i am going to be running this weekend at 1260 Almshouse Road Warringtown, Pa Saturday i am planning on running with the Barkminster Event. Go to the Doylestown Park and Rec site for more info on it. There will be venders and other things to do. It runs from 10 to 12:30. But i think if i can get some of my stuff set up Friday night, we can start running at 9am. And depending on how many people show, i can run later than 12:30. I will not run past 2 because of the heat. I am bringing my pool for the dogs to cool down with. Since i am setting up by the dog park i can run a hose to fill it and then Sunday i will leave it set up for cooling down too. And then on Sunday, i will run from 8am till 12 pm. So come on out and have some fun. On Sunday i will probably still be set up down by the dog park. So you will have to park in the parking lot and walk up to the starting gates. Saturday you can park closer. Unless i change it. Will have to think on that depending on the course we set up. I will enclose the rules. Please Please Please bring plenty of water.

Hilltown Dog Training Club Lure Coursing Rules

All dogs must warm up prior to running. Please arrive early enough so you can sign in and warm your dog up at least 20 minutes before running. So show up a half hour before running.

Dogs must cool down between runs. This means we will make you wait at least 20 minutes between runs. (This means walking your dog to cool them down), and getting a drink.

Please cut your dogs nails at least two days prior to running. Long nails can cause injuries.

Please clean up after your dog. Offenders will be asked to leave.

Please bring plenty of water, we don’t want any thirsty runners.

Hold on to your dogs while other dogs are running. There is a lot of excitement going on and it can be dangerous if your dog gets loose and runs onto the field with the other dog.

All dogs must be up to date on rabies vaccine.

No aggressive dogs allowed.

A waiver form must be signed or on file before running for the first time.

No prong collars allowed inside the fenced area.

8. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@Rits thank you!! It's amazing to watch how excited they get. Even Aria who is always collected went nuts and was chomping the air like an alligator and whining. Faith saw the lure the first time and started squealing like a banshee and tried to pull me along the line. It was heartwarming to see her in there for the first time. She took to it naturally and the people running it were surprised she had never experienced it before. I have to find another club. If that one in Wichita runs out of Emporia, it's only 1.5 hours away from us!

• Funny Funny x 1