• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Lumps on back of neck and shoulders

Markyboy77

Hi all, I’ve got a 13 month old boy who has come out in lots of little lumps on his back. He has recently had an outbreak of acne on his chin and I don’t know if it’s related. The lumps aren’t painful as he lets me touch them when I’m trying to see what they are. It’s not the first time he’s had them, but this is by far the worst I’ve seen. There must be 30-40. He’s on a barf diet as he’s got a sensitive stomach and I’ve had him castrated.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

Welcome from Minnesota, USA! The acne on the chin isn't uncommon in young dogs and it would make it easier if you could post a few photos of the lumps on the neck and shoulders.

For the chin acne it helps to wipe their mouth/chin off after eating.

WELCOME FROM THE SOUTH EAST OFF THE UK :ntmy:would agree with @JanS would be good to see pictures off lumps and also some more information about your boy, was there a particular reason he was castrated and is he a black and tan or another colour, has the vet seen the lumps and have you recently bathed him if so could it be a reaction to particular shampoo?

Hi Phil and janS, greetings from sunny Worcester UK. I’ve tried taking pictures of his lumps, but they only appear as raised lumps through his coat so don’t expect amazing pictures!
Swagger is a black and tan European doberman (Siberian) and pretty big. We decided to have him castrated to calm him down as he was becoming very difficult to manage and wasn’t great round other dogs. I had my reservations as I was told it can change their personality, but it’s not changed him one bit, he’s still totally bonkers. We also found when in the process of finding the perfect dog that there were lots of young dobes being sold off/rehomed from around 6-9 months old and we know why now…..they are very difficult dogs to bring up, and we are fortunate enough to have a few acres of land and lots of fields around us, so I can only imagine how hard it could be in a smaller setting. I’ve taken him to loads of puppy training classes and the woman there also said that he would be better of castrated to help calm him down. And it has worked, he is less destructive, more chilled and better round other dogs, though not perfect!
We gave him a bath this week and they have got worse, but they were already there before, which is why we bathed him. He’s got the vets tomorrow so hopefully they will have an answer. We have given him a piriton tablet tonight to see if that helps.
We did think for a while that they were small bites from our other dog as the two of them constantly play fight and Clara can get a bit waspy when swagger is playing her up. He really is a pest!

Attachments

• DC7240A2-E98F-41C1-8A2B-C248C25BD540.jpeg
    DC7240A2-E98F-41C1-8A2B-C248C25BD540.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 13
  • B9734BC0-C623-467F-B22B-53E47C434FB2.jpeg
    B9734BC0-C623-467F-B22B-53E47C434FB2.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4C5547CC-E322-43D4-A39E-FEBADAC74EF5.jpeg
    4C5547CC-E322-43D4-A39E-FEBADAC74EF5.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 7E4D828D-3B09-451C-8819-1110E8857739.jpeg
    7E4D828D-3B09-451C-8819-1110E8857739.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 13
My guess would be bug bites or an environmental allergy to something. The allergies can be really difficult to pinpoint through the process of elimination but sometimes it goes away once you figure it out.
It can even be a certain ingredient in food so it might not hurt to try something new with different ingredients.
We also found when in the process of finding the perfect dog that there were lots of young dobes being sold off/rehomed from around 6-9 months old and we know why now…..they are very difficult dogs to bring up
That's when a lot of them are surrendered since people don't want to take the time to guide them through the "teenage phase".

My guess would be bug bites or an environmental allergy to something. The allergies can be really difficult to pinpoint through the process of elimination but sometimes it goes away once you figure it out.
It can even be a certain ingredient in food so it might not hurt to try something new with different ingredients.

That's when a lot of them are surrendered since people don't want to take the time to guide them through the "teenage phase".
Yes, and that was another reason we decided to have him castrated as he was very hard work. He would break doors through to get to the bins the other side, he would ransack a room before we got to him but worse of all he was marking all round the house. It got so bad that he even started to urinate in our other dogs bed. It was awful! Thankfully that has all stopped now, and I’m looking forward to training again.

Hi Phil and janS, greetings from sunny Worcester UK. I’ve tried taking pictures of his lumps, but they only appear as raised lumps through his coat so don’t expect amazing pictures!
Swagger is a black and tan European doberman (Siberian) and pretty big. We decided to have him castrated to calm him down as he was becoming very difficult to manage and wasn’t great round other dogs. I had my reservations as I was told it can change their personality, but it’s not changed him one bit, he’s still totally bonkers. We also found when in the process of finding the perfect dog that there were lots of young dobes being sold off/rehomed from around 6-9 months old and we know why now…..they are very difficult dogs to bring up, and we are fortunate enough to have a few acres of land and lots of fields around us, so I can only imagine how hard it could be in a smaller setting. I’ve taken him to loads of puppy training classes and the woman there also said that he would be better of castrated to help calm him down. And it has worked, he is less destructive, more chilled and better round other dogs, though not perfect!
We gave him a bath this week and they have got worse, but they were already there before, which is why we bathed him. He’s got the vets tomorrow so hopefully they will have an answer. We have given him a piriton tablet tonight to see if that helps.
We did think for a while that they were small bites from our other dog as the two of them constantly play fight and Clara can get a bit waspy when swagger is playing her up. He really is a pest!
That looks like pyoderma.
Frequent bathing
with 4% chlorhexidine shampoo and a 14 to 21day round of cefpodoxime. With that you should see improvement. I would bathe at least 2-3 times a week and wash his bedding each time you bathe him. Pre and probiotic should be given in each of his meals daily regardless of being on antibiotics.

Looks very similar to when our previous male would get hives from getting into something in our yard every early Autumn. We have him benadryl and it really helped.

Hi all. We took swagger to the vet this afternoon and they gave him some sort of ultraviolet light scan and have said that is:

Hives or skin rashes (urticaria) are localized patches of red, swollen, usually itchy, skin. They often develop and disappear suddenly. Hives are relatively uncommon in dogs. The most frequent causes are insect bites or stings, shampoos, and medications.

The only thing we can put it down to is the big meaty bones you can get from the pet shop as we only give them to him occasionally, and this only happens occasionally. We will keep monitoring him and see how he gets on.

Thanks for all the comments.
Mark & swagger.

Back