Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Low water consumption

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Antman408, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

hi, brought my buddy home on Saturday and It seems like he hates water. I have to encourage him to drink and I’ve been mixing water now with his food. Is this normal?

2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would take him to the vet this doesn’t sound normal to me.

3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It may be that he’s still getting familiar with his new surroundings. Unfamiliar places and smells can be the reason why he’s not drinking.

Have you tried changing the position of the water bowl?

Is the water fresh and cold?

Is he urinating ok?

Keep adding water to his kibble. Keep an eye on his gums, too. A dehydrated puppy is worrisome.

4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

Just an idea in case it's cold there (I'm assuming San Francisco Bay Area?), try warm water. My guy prefers warm water to cold. :D

5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

Does your water have a strong chlorine smell? What was the water like where he was living before your home? Maybe there's a big difference and it doesn't seem right to him to consume it?

Do you have a charcoal filter on your refrigerator, or some other filter? This is effective at eliminating chlorine smell.

Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Antman408

I’ve tried changing bowls, I use filtered water for him and yes it’s cold here. I may try to warm it up. I have an appointment for the vet tomorrow and yes he’s urinating alright. The color is light yellow and a decent amount every time he pees. I do believe he may be limiting his water consumption because it’s cold out and he doesn’t like going out. He’s also been butthurt since Mom left for the week on vacation so it’s just been me and him.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

How much water, & how much kibble go into a meal?

8. Antman408

I fill the feed bowl probably with 3oz of water, a squirt of salmon oil and a scoop of food. Twice a day.

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I was going to suggest the change in water from the breeder to your place as well. Ours are also picky about what water bowls or dishes they have too so you might want to ask your breeder what he's used to.

10. Oh Little Oji

Is it possible this is a matter of perception? Is what seems like too little water to actually a pretty normal amount?

Why do you encourage him to drink? Barring a health problem, I think he'd drink some water when he got thirsty enough.

With this most recent Doberman, I decided to dole out water and record it on a pad of paper – not just leave water down. This was in order to facilitate potty training success. To this day I still have him ask for water.

This might be an opportunity for you to start recording how many ounces per day or half-day he drinks. You can then research a bit and see how much a pup of his age and size should drink.

Also, put down the toilet lids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GOD'S GRACE

Well that blows the over hydrated idea....I'm in agreement to serve room temp water and change the bowl, I know it took Grace months to drink outside from her plastic bowl...inside she has a stainless steel one... One last thing, I weigh and measure everything to insure my knowledge when accessing issues with Grace. I know it sounds crazy, but I measure her water bowl when I pour it out...That why I know what's her intake is, and if I had an emergency I could tell the Vet what she consumed. I weigh all her food as well. (I feed raw, too early for you.)

• Like Like x 2
  12. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

What is a scoop? Is that one cup in a scoop? 2 cups in a scoop? 2 cups per day seems a little amount to me. Is that all the kibble he eats the whole day?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  13. Antman408

I completely messed up my measurements and he was getting 4oz of water per meal. 1 oz fish oil and 5 cups kibble. He never finished his meals and I looked at the scooper that came with the food storage bin I bought.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kaiser2016

How is the water intake today?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  15. Antman408

He had a trip to the vet yesterday and checked out completely perfect. He’s hydrated and has a good pallet according to the vet.

He’s 18 pounds, I give him 4oz of water per feeding mixed with his food and he hits the water bowl once a day.

Last night he slept from 9pm to 2am, took a pee. Came back in and went back to bed to 6am. However crate time has been varying depending on each time.

Sometimes he plops in and passed out. Other times he barks (which he learned how to do yesterday) and whines. However I think it’s getting better. Since he still can’t go outside it’s hard to exercise him to the point where he’s tired.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Try lots of training sessions throughout the day. The mental stimulation will leave him saying "Oh my, I had to think so hard, I need a nap!"

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Kaiser2016

When they find their voice :facepalm:

If he barks or whines while crated, ignore him. Also cover his crate. When you let him out, make it obvious that you're very happy with his crate time. Treats, pets, vocal praise, whatever works.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Oh Little Oji

Yes. My take, however, on that last part: Don't make a big deal when going to his crate to let him out. I think, like coming home from being away from the house, you ought to keep it low key and really not say much to him for a few minutes or so. Sure, praise them in a mellow way if you want.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I do this with my twins. No attention until they are completely calm and in the down position. It took a while but they will immediately go into the down position when I come home with their nubbers going like crazy and then wait for me to release them. I will not allow any jumping up on me or anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  20. GOD'S GRACE

THE SHIP runs as fast as the Capt....Remain Calm & Carry On....Grace is beginning to really comprehend the meaning of Calm and that's a good thing! I can see she likes to do her part now, it's exciting when the lights come on!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2