• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Low-Down on Dog Parks

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Saw this & thought it pretty much covered it all:

117175572_3209853589100595_3275218748110247760_n.jpg

Once I found out about the risks of dog parks, I just couldn't understand why tax dollars are spent on creating them all over the place. Some of them are just large green spaces with no fencing to maintain, but they still need to put up signage and there are enforcement costs too. Their presence also makes people think that going to the dog park is a necessary part of a dog's life.

My city just installed a dog park with a grant they received specifically for dog parks. I’ve driven by and the whole thing is pea stone. With the temps we’ve been having can’t imagine it’s good for paws.

I think it's Warrington, PA, where I used to go lure coursing, that has two parks for large and small dogs. Not that I approve of dog parks, but as least they went an extra step for safety. 100 pound Panzer isn't going to injure 12 pound Muffy.

This is so true...
where I used to go lure coursing, that has two parks for large and small dogs. Not that I approve of dog parks, but as least they went an extra step for safety. 100 pound Panzer isn't going to injure 12 pound Muffy.
That's what they did in our local dog park too. I'm still not a fan of them but at least they took the extra measure, like you said.

I agree that dog parks are bad when used for socializing, (both dog and human), but as I like to do a lot of travelling and some of it is in urban areas, an open, fenced area is really useful to do some good off leash exercise. You just have to time it for when it's not in use and be prepared to leave if others want to use it. The risk of disease is another matter and if Jazz wasn't inoculated then it would be a no go.

Back