• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Louie seems skinny.

Katie i have blue also and he is doing just fine on kibbles, but on the other hand i might would feed more raw too, if the meat were cheaper, but with my two it would cost me around $240 a month on meat.thats a big diffrence to $ 40 for kibbles a month. So there is no way, i will do it and so long they both to fine on their kibbles, i have no reason to switch and they get their raw bones and have nice white teeth :)

Iceman,

I think you would feel differently if you had my dog :)

Can you please explain why i would feel different if i owned Louie?
I know dobes are a difficult breed to please when when i comes to food but still.....it not rocket science to find the right diet/quantity to suit them.You just have to observe them and regulate their intake according to what you see.
Please do not take this as a negative critisizm (i know you are trying to do best for Louie) but what is this precise weighing of his food according to % of his body weight? :confused:
Those formulas recommending food weight according to dogs body weight can NEVER be 100% correct because they cannot calculate what each individual dog requires (due to their activity level)
What happens if you slip and give him more that you have been told is the correct % in food weight?
I'll tell you what happens...he will start filling up......and then......and only then, you know you are feeding more than necessary, so you cut down for a while and monitor him again..(his weight & coat condition)

I'm not here to defend the raw diet, and I don't care if you feed kibble or raw. This works for my dogs, and I'm willing to take the time and do it.

Louie's coat looks 100% better than it did on kibble, he has more energy, no lose stool. I'm happy with the diet.

Apollo, I'm not quite sure why it cost you 240 dollars - that is wrong unless your buying the highest dollar meat. I don't spend more than 1.49 a pound, and more times it's no more than 75cents a pound.

But i was not critisizing raw diet on my previous post....Raw is your choice and i am sure you have your reasons,but at least don't be so strict with his portions...give him more than recommended and see what happens.

Katie is easy, since you wont find meat here under $2 a lb ;), if i'm lucky i find maybe chicken sometimes for $ 1.70

2 dogs+ 2lbs each, makes 4lbs a day ok here the math 4lbs x$2 = $ 8 a day, 8x 7 days a week = $ 56, $56 x 4 weeks a month = $224 , easy math ;)

I am adding more - but like I said - I think he might have looked skinnier because Emu is a much leaner meat than beef, chicken, or pork.

I would give sweet potato, fish skins and egg yolks. I also give Carlson's cod liver oil. I feed my girl raw. She is a real long legged girl and tends to appear skinny during growth spurts and is kind of a picky eater. I have not seen a rib since I have been doing this. and she seems just more robust and healthy shiny too. I cook up the whites but do not give her all the whites, I usually eat them myself. I cook her liver too. She loves liver cooked but will not touch it raw. I am very commited to the RMB diet for her but I also need to be open minded and flexible. I cook the things like liver and sweet potato that I feel is very important for her to have. I also cook the salmon since they shouldnt have raw salmon from Alaska and the pacific northwest and I think salmon is a very, very good food . I only give her wild Alaskan salmon. We eat salmon every day and give her the skins from ours. If you dont eat alot of fish maybe you can get fish skins from the fish store.
For your boy I would also increase his RMB . Maybe liver more often too.
He is really beautiful.

I also cook the salmon since they shouldnt have raw salmon from Alaska and the pacific northwest and I think salmon is a very, very good food . I only give her wild Alaskan salmon. We eat salmon every day and give her the skins from ours. If you dont eat alot of fish maybe you can get fish skins from the fish store.

Interesting....we love Salmon too and so does Buddy but I never thought of giving him the (cooked) skin portion that we leave behind! (and throw out!) Is that what you give? We give him some cooked Salmon too, but gee, if he can have the leftover skin, have at it! I hate waste! :) I've heard about not giving raw salmon too. Canned Salmon is cooked so sometimes I'll give him some of that when I am making patties for us. Along with some of the soft bones in there that I would otherwise throw away too...I'm assuming that is ok since they are so soft? He also will get the sweet potato skin from my potato! ;)

Interesting....we love Salmon too and so does Buddy but I never thought of giving him the (cooked) skin portion that we leave behind! (and throw out!) Is that what you give? We give him some cooked Salmon too, but gee, if he can have the leftover skin, have at it! I hate waste! :) I've heard about not giving raw salmon too. Canned Salmon is cooked so sometimes I'll give him some of that when I am making patties for us. Along with some of the soft bones in there that I would otherwise throw away too...I'm assuming that is ok since they are so soft? He also will get the sweet potato skin from my potato! ;)

Yes we give her the cooked skin. We cook the salmon whole and then remove bones and skin and give her the skin and some of the dark meat around the collar that we dont really like. If you cook your salmon in a dutch oven then the skins (and your salmon) will stay nice and plump and there will be a puddle of fish oil at the bottom. This is good for your dog and you too. I pour it over her food when she gets picky about something. It will usually make it disappear.

The bones on the canned salmon (and sardines) are good for your dog. They are OK for the reason you assume, they are so soft. They are good for you too.
If you peel and core your apples give him that too after removing the seeds . We live in Pacific Northwest so apples (and salmon) are cheap and plentiful so we are inclined to just toss her an apple and she has fun food.

Thanks for the info! We never get a whole Salmon, just a 'cut' (there's never any bones) and there are cut's that come with the bottom skin and some that don't. I usually will bake it in the oven and now that I know this, I will save the skin for Buddy! It's not a cheap purchase here! I wish it were, we love it!

I have gotten cans of sardines for him too. We don't eat those but my sis mentioned it to me one day for the dog so I added it to my list of goodies to add to his kibble. :)

By the way, why do you cook it and remove the bones? Aren't they like the soft bones in the canned salmon? I've never cooked a whole salmon so I guess I never saw the bones. Maybe canned salmon bones are softer?

Back