1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Lou needs a new home

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by syntax, Jul 21, 2012.

1. syntax

syntax New Member

Hi Everyone,

As much as we are going to miss him we need to find another home for Lou. I work for healthcare network managing their computer networks and now I am told I will be working two hours away from home for the next several months.

Lou is a 9 month old red doberman. He is very friendly and loves to play. He is very smart, gets along great with other dogs and prefers having another dog around. He is also great with kids but may play a little too rough with younger kids.

He is up to date on all of his shots and has complete medical records from his one and only vet. Lou was neutered at 7 months. His ears were cropped by his vet at 8 weeks old. He is a great healthy dog in need of a bigger home with more time devoted to him.

We have taken him to the dog park several times and he gets along well with everyone and their other dogs. He loves being chased and playing fetch. He is your typical playful, happypuppy.

We will miss him very much, but at this time it's not fair to him being left alone most of the day without another dog or more human interaction. When we got him we were able to take him more places and spend a lot of time with him every day. Now that our jobs have really taken off there is just not enough time to give him the attention he deserves.

Lou is a very quick learner and without much time or effort he learned a few basic commands and tricks such as: sit, stay, lay down, shake, come and he loves giving high fives. He will wait until you finish giving him food or water before he begins eating.
    We are focusing on giving him a great, safe and happy home. Price is very negotiable to the perfect home.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Have you thought about contacting a local Doberman Rescue?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So sorry to hear that your circumstances have changed and that you need to find a new home for Lou :(
    Along with contacting a doberman rescue in your area, I'd recommend that you get in touch with Lou's breeder as she/he may have a pre-screened person just waiting for the chance to own a doberman.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

could you not get a dog walker to take him out while you are at work or put him daycare, what area are you from? he is such a beauty, I hope he finds a great home but I am in the UK

• Like Like x 5
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Excellent point! I would try and exhaust all other options first. Or other family members to watch him?

• Like Like x 3
  6. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

These are the things that must be taken into consideration when getting an animal. They are at least a 10 year commitment. It's very sad that now he doesn't fit into your lives but as mentioned, there are some other options for you, like the dog walker or even doggie care. (like day care for kids) Did I miss where you live? That might help if someone is interested in him. He's a beautiful boy! I hope it works out that you can keep him. If not, please research your options carefully so that his next home is a Forever Home. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

When things change first I would look at options - When does hubby get home? At this age he could stand crating for the day or possible make a pen in the garage for him with a fan or keep him in a laundry room.

If that is not an option then I would definitley contact the Breeder as all good breeders require their puppy back by contract.

Doberman rescue is next best. I would not go through trying to place him youselve as he might end up0 in a worse situation than now. Rescue looks for responsible people and they know how to properly screen them to find a good home for him.

• Like Like x 6
  8. My Mateese

My Mateese Notable member

Oh geez, I feel really really bad, I agree with all
    the above and GOOD LUCK...............PLEASE
    RESEARCH ALL OPTIONS TO THE FULLEST.
    I am PRAYING FOR HIM.:love:

• Like Like x 3
  9. FredC

FredC Guest

Ditto, When i read this last night i couldnt reply, i was just heart broken sad for the owners and Lou (esp Lou). It kind of hit me hard since the posted pictures reminded me so much of Lord Mars as a pup.

At any rate this cant be said enough... "PLEASE RESEARCH ALL OPTIONS TO THE FULLEST."

• Like Like x 3
  10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Where are you and this dog?

• Like Like x 3
  11. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

As much as this really pisses me off, I will play nice.

I agree with everyone else. Please exhaust every last option to keep him at home. If the roles were being reversed you can damn well believe he would do everything he could to be next to you for the rest of his life.

If that does not work, I hope you purchased from a reputable breeder. Most will offer a lifetime "take back". If situations arise.

If that doesn't work go to a doberman rescue, DO NOT bring him to a pound.

I understand life happens, but before you get your next job please make sure your life is stable enough to own one. I don't mean to be a dick, but this just plain sucks.

• Like Like x 8
  12. OhioJoe

OhioJoe Notable member

Where are you? Can I get some information please.

• Like Like x 5
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Has he been back at all?? I hate when someone posts something like this and we all worry about the dog and hear nothing! :tap:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

me too MB

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not yet.

OP, PLEASE keep us updated. We so want to help you and Lou and we'd love a follow up!!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. My Mateese

ME TOO

• Like Like x 1
  17. My Mateese

Please let us know what is happening. There are
    people willing and trying to help you and Lou.

Ya know when we get them they don't ask us to take them
    home simply because they cannot speak our language or they
    would, it is our choice.

I had a "horrific" experience in my home in 2007 involving
    my 2 dogs and I vowed to them.........they would never
    go through anything again and they would never ever
    be left alone again. I had 3 choices, I could kennel them
    everyday while I worked, I could put them both to sleep
    or I could quit my job...........well I quit my job. I am not
    saying you should do this and I might be out of line, but........
    it is up to us, there is a lifetime commitment when we make
    the choice of bringing them home. I know things happen
    in life, but we need to look at the whole picture of our life
    style and what is best for the new member when we make
    that choice.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Gelcoater

X2,is the dog papered? Not that it really matters to me.If your somewhat close(western USA) I would like to see him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. syntax

syntax New Member

Sorry I dont live online and cant reply right away. I am in northern indiana. When we got Lou I had all the time for him. I have no family here to watch him. Tried hiring a dog walker twice. One never showed up the other stole a few things from the house. The current hospital I am working at is a 3 hour drive each way. I am not going to crate him for 13-16 hours a day. If something happens while I am that far away theres nothing I can do. I am on a work contract for two more years. I cant quit its out of the question as its against my contract. I am also told I will be relocated to California for 6 months as they are building another hospital. Then moving to somewhere else from there.

Everyone is acting like I am a horrible person. Like if I dont respond right away something bad is going to happen to Lou. I would never ever do or let anything happen to him. Hes not going to a pound or shelter. He will stay with us until we find him a BETTER home. If it does not workout at the better home we will take him back. Trust me we have exhausted all other options. I am going to be very picky where he finds his new home.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gelcoater

Just a thought here,if in the next day or two this poster doesn't return with an update/info,..(not sure of the legalitys?)....would it be possible for the powers that be here to review his reg.info and send him/her an Email notifying of interest in the dog and to pay the site a visit?

Nevermind:)

• Like Like x 1