• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Loss of Appetite, Constipation

Don’t worry, I know it’s super frustrating and absolutely draining if it’s just one thing after another and it’s not really seeming to end, but just drag out and you feel helpless and just over it all! But this too shall pass so just keep your head up and keep going! Eventually it’ll all just be a memory and lots and lots of learning experience that can even help others out in the long run! ❤️😊

as for the coconut colloidal silver mix, all I do is literally rub coconut oil between my hands to liquify it, because it’s solid usually, and then rub it all over her, it’s good for them too so I don’t mind if it’s all over her mouth or if she licks it either, it tastes pretty good so I don’t blame her haha. And then after I just fill colloidal silver into a spray bottle and spray her down with it, sorta just a mist all over, and the spots she has I spray directly so it’s nicely covered, I also add neosporin to her spots specify, but just because hers puss and bleed slightly and after all and everything I’ve found that just seems to work the best in healing them/ cleaning the “infection”, the rest is mostly preventive for the rest of her body. I’ll add a picture of the colloidal silver water, and also will add the fact there’s a cream in the states that is highly highly praised and was advised to me with this here as well, that’s how I got to the idea to begin with because we are still waiting for it to arrive to Germany and I had to figure smth out in the mean while, silvasorb is what the actual cream is called, which would probably be best for direct spot application if that’s smth your interested in. Otherwise for her skin the water and oil can’t hurt at all. That’s why I decided to just go ahead and do it all over even if there was no more mites etc. because my research showed the silver water and oil are just generally amazing for their skin besides all the other medical benefits it is making her fur super soft and shiny, no more dry skin AND she smells like coconut 😂 so all in all, it’s cheap and will kill/ repell any bad thing on her skin 😅😂
Just don’t overdo the oil, literally a small amount goes a long way otherwise she’ll be slippery haha, the silver water make sure it’s above 25ppm and is preferably but not a must, “nano” particles. You can also feed it which I do too now once a week, but I’m honestly not 100% sure of all the benefits, I basically fell in love with that water and found out I can feed it and it’s good so I added that to the Regimen 😂
As for the uti, with that I have nooooo idea. The only thing I know is you can also same as with humans give cranberry, but pure, no sugary stuff and in small amounts. But hey who knows maybe the silver helps against that too 🙈😂 I’ll look it up for you tomorrow!
again, attached is a picture of the water I use, and coconut oil just any good “organic” will do!
keep us posted, and good luck! 🙈❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 0
Alright, yeah for uti , among Manuka honey (I will say experience anything under 500mgo is useless) is a natural antibiotic, I’ll attach a link that goes more into the colloidal silver for uti/ and infections, but you can definitely help her out with that as well! And even the honey, I didn’t think of that until I just read it again! Because if she doesn’t neeeed the antibiotics I wouldn’t really feed them cause they actually hurt the gut and immune system, which if she struggles with that anyways maybe try a week and if it doesn’t get better or if it gets worse then add medicine, but I’m not a doctor so that’s just my advice, and definitely do what you think is best for her! ❤️

Also I forgot: dosage for the feeding, I’m not sure, but it varies! I do half a teaspoon per 20lbs dog weight, others say 10 drops or 10ml 2-3times a day, so I am really unsure of that and I think it highly depends on the actual water/ silver content etc. sorry. Okay I’m done now! Just wanted to add that because too much can be bad as with everything haha!

Thank you for all of your help. My parents and younger sisters just returned after a four month trip to the US, and it has been hectic lately. Shylah has impressed all of them with her calm and even temperament compared to Renee's more volatile and jumpy temperament. They brought back a new puppy which Shylah has claimed for her own and is the only one completely safe to leave with him unsupervised right now. Anyway, they brought back some supplements that we shall see how they work. They are happy to use colloidal silver and coconut oil on her. Also, we have an appointment with the vet for Monday for blood work and possibly some other things. So, we shall see...as I said, she has impressed my family who expected to return to her being a spoiled brat.

Well, I thought I would update today...Shylah went to the vet on Monday. It was a very stressful day, but considering everything, she did quite well. The vet didn't see anything wrong with a normal checkup other than her being underweight. We did the blood tests, and everything came back okay for her liver, kidneys, pancreas, and gall bladder. However, the tests revealed that she has blood parasites (obviously they weren't able to find those in the feces test). Anyway, she is on another antibiotic that she hasn't gotten since she was about 7 weeks old and developed a slight respiratory infection which went away under treatment and has not resurfaced since then. Also, in two weeks, she is scheduled to get an injection. I was not the one who talked to the vet on the phone, so I didn't get all the answers I wanted (what kind of parasites, what type of injection...), but the vet expects her eating to improve within the next two weeks (she gets medicine for the next month). I am hoping that this will clear everything up once and for all...It is unfortunate that we were not able to catch this sooner and get it resolved before it turned into the major problem that it is now.

Lastly, I have made her up some satin balls to help keep her from losing weight; she likes them but I have to get her to eat the first piece before she decides she likes it well enough to eat the entire thing.

I wonder if "blood parasites" are similar in nature to what we have in the US we call heart worms. They are deadly if not treated. Glad you found something and hopefully a cure!

I wonder if "blood parasites" are similar in nature to what we have in the US we call heart worms. They are deadly if not treated. Glad you found something and hopefully a cure!
I have no idea...I shall see if I cannot get a clearer answer from the vet, but we shall see how this does. So far, she is liking her satin balls and the version I made up mixing in kibble, so I'm hoping that will tide her over until she starts eating again. Otherwise, I shall have to do some deeper research to make her meals as healthy as possible. Right now, we are trying to fatten her up a little.

I'm giving a little update here. Shylah is improving. It is slow, but she has started to eat small amounts of dog food (usually around 1- 1 1/2 cups a day) with her other more "special" food. She still has a limp from an injury a couple weeks ago, but her activity level hasn't really helped her much with that. I'm hoping it will heal without to much trouble. Some days are better than others, but I have discovered a couple factors that make a difference. For one, our dogs love, for some unknown reason, plastic bottles (with caps and wrappings removed) to crunch (we take them away once they are flattened). We have never had a problem with them chewing off plastic and eating until Shylah. Somehow, she took it into her head that plastic was just the thing to eat, and I have to make sure she doesn't have anything plastic to get a hold of (she will chew up anything plastic: cups, bags, toys...). What really annoys me is people throwing such things in the yard. The other day I was picking up a bunch of plastic beads that someone threw into our yard. However, attempting to keep plastic out of her reach has helped her with eating.

Other than that, the vet gave more details on the blood testing. The only parasite they found was found in excess. She has a severe infestation of ehrlichia blood parasite. This explains a lot to me from observing her for the past six months. I'm really sorry we didn't catch this earlier, but we will hopefully get through this without serious consequences. She has been on doxycycline for a week now and will be on it for a month. Still, it will probably take her a little while to go from being somewhat "fragil" and easily sickened to what she should be. I'm guessing that this has been what has made her easily injured (her leg for one thing was from being group hit by the other dogs one day). I'm not really sure how she contracted it as I have not seen ticks around here for years and definitely never found one on her (and the ticks always ended up on me from hanging out with the dogs). But she definitely gets bitten by other insects (flys, mosquitos...).

"The disease seems to be particularly severe in German Shepherd Dogs and Doberman Pinschers"

@Rosa I'm sure you've already done tons of research, but here's an overall view of ehrilichia in dogs for those who aren't familiar with it:

It can be very serious, as I'm sure you know. I'm so glad you went forward with the blood work, so you can begin working on treatment. I've said a bunch of times if you don't know what you're dealing with it's really hard to treat it! Best of luck, continue your updates when you can.

@Rosa I'm sure you've already done tons of research, but here's an overall view of ehrilichia in dogs for those who aren't familiar with it:

It can be very serious, as I'm sure you know. I'm so glad you went forward with the blood work, so you can begin working on treatment. I've said a bunch of times if you don't know what you're dealing with it's really hard to treat it! Best of luck, continue your updates when you can.
Yeah, I have done my research. Now that I look at it, the fact that she has developed various limping problems, at least one swollen lymph node, gets a lot of scabs (whether it is from bites or actual scratches I cannot say), is very thin (appearing somewhat delicate because she is long but very narrow. I'm always trying to keep her out of rough play with the other dogs because she gets injured so easily), weight loss (more like not gaining much weight despite being in her growing stage), loss of appetite, amongst others.

I will admit that sometimes I wish this was all over as every day begins with the question: "How is she going to do today?" Today is one of her down days...she is still eating (ate a cup of dog food plus a meat ball with dog food with some coaxing this morning) and playing, but she is definitely not as lively or happy as usual. Sometimes she will eat for others like my sister, but today, she seems to only eat if I personally am feeding her. It is a drain, but I just have to remind myself that it will all work out in the end. Plus, she has only been on her medicine for a short time, so I cannot expect her to recover from an illness of almost six months overnight.

I thought I would mention that our dogs do get Frontline on a regular basis.

So, for a short update. She has been eating better in general. In fact, at this point it would seem that a lot of her eating issues stem from either an intestinal flora imbalance, which would be understandable considering all the medication she's gotten for most of her life, or simply the fact that eating had become a chore (an area of almost training) to her. Whatever the reason, she tends to act "sick" or mopey when I am around and offering her food. She looks and acts better than before, so I don't think that is the problem. One of my big concerns now, other than just getting her to eat well, is how to get rid of the itching she still suffers from. Giving her baths with a special shampoo seems to help temporarily, but I don't want to make the problem worse by doing that constantly. So, I was wondering if anyone had some brilliant ideas. I tried coconut oil, but it didn't make a difference. I could try again and see what happens this time, but...I really don't know. I'm looking into getting actual coconut oil for dogs (also may make a difference that ours is in liquid form).

So, for a short update. She has been eating better in general. In fact, at this point it would seem that a lot of her eating issues stem from either an intestinal flora imbalance, which would be understandable considering all the medication she's gotten for most of her life, or simply the fact that eating had become a chore (an area of almost training) to her. Whatever the reason, she tends to act "sick" or mopey when I am around and offering her food. She looks and acts better than before, so I don't think that is the problem. One of my big concerns now, other than just getting her to eat well, is how to get rid of the itching she still suffers from. Giving her baths with a special shampoo seems to help temporarily, but I don't want to make the problem worse by doing that constantly. So, I was wondering if anyone had some brilliant ideas. I tried coconut oil, but it didn't make a difference. I could try again and see what happens this time, but...I really don't know. I'm looking into getting actual coconut oil for dogs (also may make a difference that ours is in liquid form).
Im glad to hear she’s eating better, but sad to hear about the itching 🥺 for her intestines, due to the meds if you want to help her out with that, there’s powders to „rebuild“ stomach flora, we just went through this with our girl because of Antibiotics and mite medicine etc her stomach was all messed up, I’ll include a picture but I’m in Germany so it’ll be more of a smth like This and maybe google translate 😅 but we are doing that (ours is fed for a minimum of 4weeks) and it’s improved her bloating, and we had issues with diarrhea and stool color so as far as our issues has been it’s been definitely improving! However I will say her farts are now deathly so that’s a downside 😅 but it does seem to help. Also I’m sure as discussed before was probiotics?! I got an amazing tip from the vet we started seeing, she also recommended the powder, was „Yakult“ I don’t know if it’s available in the US or if it’s the same ingredients since Germany is super high up on food regulations (like f.ex so many additives of us food are illegal here like Cheetos etc and we can only get that from base 😅) so I don’t know, but I’ll send a picture as well! Plus side it’s also helped with her skin since we had issues due to the mites. With the itching I really don’t know :( we’re in the same boat kinda cause her skin has been super dry and flaky since all of this, but for us coconut oil and colloidal silver have been helping it really really well (we also use a medicated oatmeal shampoo that also kills mites since we still have to do that twice a week), and she hasn’t seemed to itch anything at all outside of the occasional spot that I then quite literally drown in silver and coconut oil haha. Have you tried applying the oil directly to skin?! It’s a bit oily after but it doesn’t stain blankets etc and smells good so if you don’t mind that maybe try really rubbing her down a day before a bath so it doesn’t cake the skin?! maybe salmon oil or other skin oil as additive the food? Also the Silver has supposedly helped others with itching/ hot spots etc, at least what I found researching , so sort of also not just for internal but external use?! I’m not sure?! She hasn’t really itched her skin as much but I mean we started this when it was just small spots so I couldn’t really tell you if she would itch more without it or not, but from the spots we had before all this I would say it is helping?! I don’t know 😅 I always say it’s worth a shot 🙈😅 but also needing to mention I would 100% try getting coconut oil for dogs, as I know that it’s hard to find „organic“ coconut oil in the states that is actually truely organic and under regulation. We did get oil from base that we aren’t feeding (for the reason) but it’s what we have been using on her skin, since it’s quite cheaper so maybe it’s more possible for you to find that there. But yes, I wish you lots of luck! Maybe you can even find a powder for dogs for her skin to help with itching?! They make some here but I’ve never tried it! Anyways I hope it all gets better soon ❤️ Prayers from all of us from Germany ❤️( I also included skin oil that my senior dog is getting, the back side that has the oils, it’s the last picture) The white little round thing( the first two pics) is the intestines powder front and back, for ingredients, I’m sorry it’s in German, if you are interested I will try my best to translate it all 😁)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 2
Oh, that is super interesting...I know that we tend to get bugs in everything here in the tropics...either is rusts, or it molds, or it gets infested (I found bugs eating garlic of all things!!!). Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if that had a hand in it, but I think part of her itching may be a result of her being bitten a lot by mosquitos. I noticed this the other night when I was trying to coax some food down her. Seeing when she scratched (ears, nose...legs) and where the mosquitos were led me to believe that there was probably a connection. However, if she was super allergic to bugs, it wouldn't surprise me that what you said would have a factor. Now, it seems that the majority of her spots are going away although I can still feel a few bumps that I'm watching. How exactly do you make your colloidal silver and coconut oil spray? Do you think it would be good for mosquitos as well?

Oh, and I'm wondering if she hasn't been suffering from UTI which I have been seeing some definite symptoms of lately. I'm still waiting for a little more information from the vet, but she will probably get antibiotics for 10-14 days. She has gotten them earlier on but never for more than 5 days which may be why it helped but never got rid of the problem. I'm wondering though if it were the chronic form of UTI, if it would take more than just a 2 week period of antibiotics. The symptoms for UTI match a lot more with what I'm seeing with her than anything I have researched before. Talk about a sudden thought that I fortunately did not forget to look up. I've noticed for a long time that she urinates frequently, but I thought it might be because she drank a lot of water. However, more recently I noticed that she seemed to be having some difficulty urinating as well as doing it frequently. So I checked more closely, and she seemed sensitive and there was a slight odor around the area. She kept moving my hand away so I guessing she wasn't enjoying my probing. She has been very good about treatment though. I feel really badly as she is such a sweet puppy with so much potential, but she is stuck in this rut.
I feel you! With all the stuff we’re going through with our puppy sometimes it feels the problem are endless 😔 I have noticed though it seems like Dobies are just especially sensitive to literally everything! My older dobie girl (now passed) had such issues with Uti’s, she just seemed to get them every time it got slightly wet or cold. So maybe I can help with that a little as well 😂🙈 we obviously put her in jackets/ sweaters every time it got slightly wet or cold, and booties whenever the floor got close to freezing or was really wet muddy, I’ve learned especially girls much like us humans are just so much more prone to that. So keeping them dry and warm is soo important if they’re sensitive to it. So clothing is helpful but the best I’ve found is tea! Thankfully having had mom and also having spent time in Germany there’s many homeopathic remedies just like we would do cranberry etc, Germans love tea for any kind of illness and it actually works 🙈😂 for dogs too! So, to prevent and treat utis in dogs and humans you can brew tea, the teas that help are: nettle (Brennnessel in German), fennel and best one: chamomile! (Kamille in German)! It helps prevent it in us and then because it Flushes and kills bacteria helping it function well. For dogs you have to be suuuuper careful though, as with other things human teas often have added herbs or substances toxic to them, so make sure it’s not only organic but free from anything other than the pure ?weed? And absolutely no blends! You can blend it yourself, so do I, I usually do nettle and chamomile and that’s it, because it’s just easiest to find. And best of you don’t even get a tea bag but the dried flowers/ plant for tea. I’ll add a picture :) and for them you just brew it with boiling water, I suggest a water boiler( I’ve become attached to mine since spending time here) because it’s just soo simple to have hot water for tea or coca etc instantly 😂 no microwave 🙈 so basically yes, brew tea with boiling water, so hot water, add tea and let sit for 10-15min (I use just a big mug) then pour it into their water ( half a mug on a normal big dog water bowl, if you use cold water and hot tea it will be perfect Temperature) you can also just use that and mix their food into it if they don’t like drinking it (mine love it and always get this once a day when fall hits, so if you have multiple dogs it’s completely harmless they just might pee a little more than usually 🤣)
Cranberry also works BUT 1g per 10kg of dog otherwise it’s toxic!!! So I just stay alway from that completely. Tea is easier anyways 🙈

For coconut/ silver water, I use a little spray bottle I’ll add a picture, fill it with the silver and then add 1tspn of coconut oil (liquid, you can just warm the SPON in hot water and it’ll melt the oil if it’s solid) and then spray her down (if you keep it and don’t use it the oil will seperate and solidify again 🙈) but you can also do the same in a glass or bowl. It’s not exact ratio science and neither can be too much or too little so just have a go at it 😁 and the lazy way is this: rub or spray them down in silver and then rub them down with the oil (also careful oil is oily BUT it smells good and absorbs rather quickly and doesn’t stain! We even if you have a oily sleek dog they won’t stay like that too long and you can also not overdo it. Like I’m the fact it’s not toxic or causes issues unless you have a 3inch layer of oil on her 😂) added benefit it also works really well for human skin 🙈😳 (just thought I’d add that 😂)

Anyways. Those are my two thingies. Tea is awesome for uti and preventing, btw peppermint tea is super for kennel cough, and the oil/ silver it’s just somehow getting them mixed together but no science on amount. Just the quality of all ingredients is the most important! So, following are pictures of silver, teas and silver water bottle spay thing I use with oil 😁

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 0
Oh i also forgot the mosquito question! Sorry! I have no idea if it works against them 😳 it would help for the bites but to repel them I have no clue! What does work is yard Spray! As it also repels them! I’ll insert a pic of the stuff we order from the us for just general bugs etc. I’m pretty sure it’s also against mites BUT I don’t think it actually kills them nor do I know if it actually works against mites. I think this is just general repellent. And for mosquitoes although not so much an issue here it works pretty well! I have yet to see any!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 0

Back