• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Loss of Appetite, Constipation

R

Rosa

I didn't know the best place to put this thread, so I am doing it here. I have mentioned, various other times, that Shylah doesn't eat well. This is true and has been the case since birth (I bottle fed her to make sure she stayed healthy, but she was difficult). Anyway, she seemed to be improving up to 5 months. At five months, she did a 12 lb. jump in weight to 43 lb. from 31 lbs. at 4 months. Since then, she has been on a downward spiral. She, at eight months today, weighs only about 54 lbs. She is obviously skinny and doesn't want to eat at all. A week ago, after the vet's suggestion, I cooked her up some homemade dog food. She ate that decently well for the past week. Her appetite started dropping again though, and she didn't eat much yesterday and nothing today except some milk...We had a feces test done, and it came back negative for any internal parasites. She has been, however, suffering from constipation with bloody stools about once a month since she was 3-4 months old. What really doesn't add up is that she is as lively as ever; way more active than any of our other dogs. I am, to say the least, very concerned. The vet doesn't know what to think, but she suggested trying probiotics. If that doesn't help, taking her in for a real examination.

Does anyone havê suggestions for me?

I think a full blood work panel would be a start. Does she eat separately from the other dogs? Measured meals or free feeding kibble all day? Stools often have to do with what they eat, so at the very least, I would monitor that. Blood work can tell you whether there is possible cancer, or liver problems etc. and would take a lot of guess work out.

I think a full blood work panel would be a start. Does she eat separately from the other dogs? Measured meals or free feeding kibble all day? Stools often have to do with what they eat, so at the very least, I would monitor that. Blood work can tell you whether there is possible cancer, or liver problems etc. and would take a lot of guess work out.
That is definitely something I want to do, but everyone tells me not to rush...sooo Yes, she eats separately and supervised as the other dogs would eat her food before she would ever get around to it. I have not seen that she will even eat if I am not there. Whenever I have left food with her (alone), I return to find it untouched. She used to get fed once a day. I switched to twice a day when I began to really change her diet. That seemed to help, but that is disappearing as well.

Whatever it is, it seems to be affecting her digestive tract as nothing else is different about her. I haven't found anything that fits her symptoms, but I know, just based on her stools, that something is wrong.

I don't understand why it is her of all of our dogs to be having so many problems.

I thought it would be worth mentioning that she seems to itch a lot. Not that that is uncommon for our dogs (I think it has something to do with the weather), but she does it a lot more.

Dogs won't let themselves starve. Try putting the food down for 15 minutes. Whatever she doesn't eat will be served to her again at next meal time. I do think 2 meals are better than 1. Is the blood a result of the constipation? You could try adding some fiber to her diet. Raw pumpkin is a good one.

Probiotics are always a good idea. Can add raw goat's milk too.

Dogs won't let themselves starve. Try putting the food down for 15 minutes. Whatever she doesn't eat will be served to her again at next meal time. I do think 2 meals are better than 1. Is the blood a result of the constipation? You could try adding some fiber to her diet. Raw pumpkin is a good one.

Probiotics are always a good idea. Can add raw goat's milk too.
I will admit that I have tried that to some extent or another, but I expect to be trying that again as nothing seems to be appetizing to her.

I don't know if we have actual pumpkin down here. We have squash...that being said, I think the blood would have been a result of constipation as it disappears as she gets less constipated. Right now, her droppings are very dry but no blood anymore.

I should have probiotics by tonight...no goat's milk though.

Yes! I googled squash and pumpkin:

“Pumpkins are a type of squash, which range from winter squash to summer squash. Most edible squashes have their own unique properties. However, in general, they all have high fiber content and contain various minerals and vitamins.

Yes! I googled squash and pumpkin:

“Pumpkins are a type of squash, which range from winter squash to summer squash. Most edible squashes have their own unique properties. However, in general, they all have high fiber content and contain various minerals and vitamins.
Okay, that is interesting. I think we have blended squash in the freezer. I haven't used it as I don't care for that meal, although I planned to make squash bread out of it...however, if it would help Shylah and she would drink it, I will do so. I assume having in blended makes now difference?

Probiotics arrived, as well as a laxative that the vet sent out. The laxative is given in a syringe, so not a problem. The probiotics are in her food, so that will depend.

I thought I would give a little update on Shylah. She has now been eating well for five days. Thursday to Sunday she was doing a eat every 24-36 hrs routine, but Sunday she ate well for the first time in months. Monday, she ate, not as well, but still. Tuesday and Wednesday she ate very well, and today she has already eaten her first meal completely. I'm happy; the probiotics seem to be doing their work.

She is actually starting to eat kibble again, as well.

That is awesome progress! I wonder also if the heat has anything to do with it. Kaiser is so food motivated, but in this heatwave we are stuck in, I have noticed that it impacts his appetite. Feed him in the house with the AC running, he can eat all day, try to feed him outside in the direct sun, and he's not interested. If you find her appetite isn't steady, try feeding during cooler times of day.

That is awesome progress! I wonder also if the heat has anything to do with it. Kaiser is so food motivated, but in this heatwave we are stuck in, I have noticed that it impacts his appetite. Feed him in the house with the AC running, he can eat all day, try to feed him outside in the direct sun, and he's not interested. If you find her appetite isn't steady, try feeding during cooler times of day.
I have done that. She won't usually eat anything during the middle of the day. I feed her in the morning before it gets hot (hot as we would describe it), and in the evening after the sun has already gone down most of the way. But to go to voluntarily eating 7+ cups of food a day is incredible.

I'd also watch if the itching gets worse. If so, it is probably a food allergy that is likely chicken which makes it into all kibble even if the main protein in the kibble is NOT chicken.

I'd also watch if the itching gets worse. If so, it is probably a food allergy that is likely chicken which makes it into all kibble even if the main protein in the kibble is NOT chicken.
I'm watching her, but it seems to be lessening actually. At least, it is no longer a constant the minute she stops running, she starts scratching. She is very active; I joke that she thinks she's a Malinois. Then my brother promptly told me that she looks as skinny as one... :eek:

8 months is the teen stage, they do tend to be skinny/lanky at that time. I imagine her first heat will also impact her food intake...but someone else will need to comment on that - I only have male dog experience.

8 months is the teen stage, they do tend to be skinny/lanky at that time. I imagine her first heat will also impact her food intake...but someone else will need to comment on that - I only have male dog experience.
I agree, and I have been watching her as I know that 9 months is when she can have her first heat though I don't really expect it.

Hello, I’m not sure if everything has been fixed, but I had the same issue (minus back story) with my now senior dog when he was younger. A few things. I would 100% check for any food allergies because of the itching and Appetite loss. We found out he was allergic to certain grains but even switching food didn’t help the eating. The scratching disappeared but appetite still missing. What helped us regarding that was adding cottage cheese (make sure it pure and not laced with sugar etc so more organic which will help with probiotics as well) as well as salmon oil (which also helps skin issues) and as a super duper extra trick on the days he would still not be enticed to finish his food you can try “rumen flour” (which is animal intestine dried and grinded up) it’s very good for them as is but very very very very smelly. But that’s I believe is what does the trick.
lastly, I would have the vet Check his teeth! Make sure it’s not because he has a chipped tooth or cavity etc that is making him have pain while eating/ or a ulcer in the mouth which could be the scratching as well. My mom had a dog that wouldn’t eat because of a chipped tooth and they ran all over until they found the simple solution of it was just a tooth. So my advice :
Check teeth, have allergies tested, and potentially entice with cottage cheese, curd, or natural/ Jogurt (all plain no sugars or additives) or rumen flour.
Best of luck! 😊❤️

Hello, I’m not sure if everything has been fixed, but I had the same issue (minus back story) with my now senior dog when he was younger. A few things. I would 100% check for any food allergies because of the itching and Appetite loss. We found out he was allergic to certain grains but even switching food didn’t help the eating. The scratching disappeared but appetite still missing. What helped us regarding that was adding cottage cheese (make sure it pure and not laced with sugar etc so more organic which will help with probiotics as well) as well as salmon oil (which also helps skin issues) and as a super duper extra trick on the days he would still not be enticed to finish his food you can try “rumen flour” (which is animal intestine dried and grinded up) it’s very good for them as is but very very very very smelly. But that’s I believe is what does the trick.
lastly, I would have the vet Check his teeth! Make sure it’s not because he has a chipped tooth or cavity etc that is making him have pain while eating/ or a ulcer in the mouth which could be the scratching as well. My mom had a dog that wouldn’t eat because of a chipped tooth and they ran all over until they found the simple solution of it was just a tooth. So my advice :
Check teeth, have allergies tested, and potentially entice with cottage cheese, curd, or natural/ Jogurt (all plain no sugars or additives) or rumen flour.
Best of luck! 😊❤️
Thank you...I will definitely keep these in mind no matter what happens in the future. She has improved significantly in eating (and her itching has dropped considerably), but I am aware it could stop at any moment. She ate about 7 cups of food today (basically 3 1/2 this morning and the same this afternoon). The vet is 2 hrs. away (that's where all the vets are actually), but I plan to drop in for a visit while I am in the capital on Tuesday. I have a dentist appointment, so Shylah cannot go with me (there is no one to take care of her and no pets at the dentist). However, I intend to discuss with the vet what tests are actually available here...

Thank you...I will definitely keep these in mind no matter what happens in the future. She has improved significantly in eating (and her itching has dropped considerably), but I am aware it could stop at any moment. She ate about 7 cups of food today (basically 3 1/2 this morning and the same this afternoon). The vet is 2 hrs. away (that's where all the vets are actually), but I plan to drop in for a visit while I am in the capital on Tuesday. I have a dentist appointment, so Shylah cannot go with me (there is no one to take care of her and no pets at the dentist). However, I intend to discuss with the vet what tests are actually available here...
I am glad! And obiously wish you both lots of luck with the eating and vet and all! I know it can be frustrating! Keep us posted! ❤️

I guess it is time for an update. Things have been hectic and stressful. We seemed to be going places with Shylah. She was eating, less itching...however she started itching again. This time with a more direct reason. The vet thought it was hotspots. Whatever they were, I was not being successful at containing them and her itching was getting worse. So I took extreme measures with a particular medicated shampoo we have. It is for skin problems on dogs, and we have used it successfully in the past. After three baths in two weeks (she has one more this week, then shampoo will be gone), the hotspots seem to all be disappearing and itching has lessened significantly. Eating also went haywire. She has decided that her home-cooked food is not appetizing, so I switched her to cooked meat in the morning and kibble in the evening. That worked for a few days, but she seems to be losing interest there as well. I'm going to try some home cooked food again today...the scales seem to have been off lately. I have a hard time believing that a growing puppy that is eating anything at all could not gain any weight in a month. Not even a few ounces. Plus, it told me another of our dogs who finally filled out (4 1/2 years old) had lost 15+ pounds. This has simply worn me down, but I keep reminding myself that we will get through this. I want to take her to the vet, but the vet has not really seemed to be concerned. Her constipation seems to be completely gone.

Completely random thought, just because you mentioned hot spots, I have a thread that started with an infection and little „infected bumps“ all over, but basically we spun around in circles not knowing what caused it and just treating it, testing literally everything, doing antibiotics which helped, and then spots all over her head etc, anyways, we found that the entire reason for her original infection and her „hot spots“ was food mites (I’m in Germany so I’m translating literally word for word) but it’s simply mites that live in some dry food, it happens with some companies during production and is usually harmless, however some dogs are allergic and will react with skin issues?! Maybe it’s something like that with you as well?! It would explain the itching and spots and coming and going if them as it was for me! We only found out about this because we went to a vet while ours was on vacation and she had a hunch it was that! All the tests we had done for mites and parasites were negative prior to this however, this vet was simply yeah sometimes it doesn’t show and especially not if it’s a reaction!! So we got a pull from her to „kill“ the mites and switched to a brand that is hypoallergenic, and watches for food mites specifically and I kid you not, within a day, no new spots, old spots healing! We also are applying colloidal silver spray and coconut oil mixture all over her body (antifungal, anti bacterial and great for skin, helps with itching too! AND it kills and repels mites!) idk..I know there’s more to it with this thread however I thought I’d mention it cause had we not gone to this vet it would have gone completely unnoticed!

Completely random thought, just because you mentioned hot spots, I have a thread that started with an infection and little „infected bumps“ all over, but basically we spun around in circles not knowing what caused it and just treating it, testing literally everything, doing antibiotics which helped, and then spots all over her head etc, anyways, we found that the entire reason for her original infection and her „hot spots“ was food mites (I’m in Germany so I’m translating literally word for word) but it’s simply mites that live in some dry food, it happens with some companies during production and is usually harmless, however some dogs are allergic and will react with skin issues?! Maybe it’s something like that with you as well?! It would explain the itching and spots and coming and going if them as it was for me! We only found out about this because we went to a vet while ours was on vacation and she had a hunch it was that! All the tests we had done for mites and parasites were negative prior to this however, this vet was simply yeah sometimes it doesn’t show and especially not if it’s a reaction!! So we got a pull from her to „kill“ the mites and switched to a brand that is hypoallergenic, and watches for food mites specifically and I kid you not, within a day, no new spots, old spots healing! We also are applying colloidal silver spray and coconut oil mixture all over her body (antifungal, anti bacterial and great for skin, helps with itching too! AND it kills and repels mites!) idk..I know there’s more to it with this thread however I thought I’d mention it cause had we not gone to this vet it would have gone completely unnoticed!
Oh, that is super interesting...I know that we tend to get bugs in everything here in the tropics...either is rusts, or it molds, or it gets infested (I found bugs eating garlic of all things!!!). Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if that had a hand in it, but I think part of her itching may be a result of her being bitten a lot by mosquitos. I noticed this the other night when I was trying to coax some food down her. Seeing when she scratched (ears, nose...legs) and where the mosquitos were led me to believe that there was probably a connection. However, if she was super allergic to bugs, it wouldn't surprise me that what you said would have a factor. Now, it seems that the majority of her spots are going away although I can still feel a few bumps that I'm watching. How exactly do you make your colloidal silver and coconut oil spray? Do you think it would be good for mosquitos as well?

Oh, and I'm wondering if she hasn't been suffering from UTI which I have been seeing some definite symptoms of lately. I'm still waiting for a little more information from the vet, but she will probably get antibiotics for 10-14 days. She has gotten them earlier on but never for more than 5 days which may be why it helped but never got rid of the problem. I'm wondering though if it were the chronic form of UTI, if it would take more than just a 2 week period of antibiotics. The symptoms for UTI match a lot more with what I'm seeing with her than anything I have researched before. Talk about a sudden thought that I fortunately did not forget to look up. I've noticed for a long time that she urinates frequently, but I thought it might be because she drank a lot of water. However, more recently I noticed that she seemed to be having some difficulty urinating as well as doing it frequently. So I checked more closely, and she seemed sensitive and there was a slight odor around the area. She kept moving my hand away so I guessing she wasn't enjoying my probing. She has been very good about treatment though. I feel really badly as she is such a sweet puppy with so much potential, but she is stuck in this rut.

Back