Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Looks like Axl is for Sale...:(

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by AxelRose, Jul 3, 2010.

1. AxelRose

AxelRose Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    Please do not condem me for this. I feel there might be a good home on this site that would like another dobe.
    He is a beautiful pup, doing well, BUT he is a handful and with no proper help from the rest who are here it is becoming (i believe) not the best fit for my little guy.
    My boyfriend does not give enough time in, his son (11 yr old) is scared of him and Axl is continually biting him ALOT, like jumping up against the kids back and tearing his clothes. Biting his knees when the kid turns away. Of coarse I am trying to teach EVERYONE how to respond, should I go into the house to get a drink, etc. My poodle is now getting the brunt of it as she is exhausted with him and he is now starting to respond back at her when she tries to put him in his place. It's all ME who has to be in the room, and that is just not possible every minute.

I do not want to do this, BUT I have only the best interests for the pup. If it was just me alone, I would put 24 into him, but their are other people in my life and I have to consider the children too. He requires consistent training, and though everyone was gungho to get him, that is not what is happening now.

So, with all that, if u know of anyone who would like another Dobe or is looking for one and u know they will have the time and the expertise to own one, please let me know.

Thank you all for your time.
    Regards
    Rose

• Like Like x 4
  2. von Cosack

von Cosack Novitiate

I'm sorry you and your pup have to experience this. Where are you located and how old is the pup and have you contacted the breeder? Von.

• Like Like x 5
  3. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Well-Known Member

If your breeder isn't helpful (BYB), you should contact your local Doberman rescue as well.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

You could contact your local Vets and see if anyone was interested or also check to see if you have any local Doberman rescue clubs.

In general, People that work at the Vets office or people involved with Doberman rescue clubs are more likely to give him a good home with proper care.

Money should not be your goal here. Finding Axl a good home will allow you to sleep better at night (and for longer) than having a few bucks in your pocket that will be gone in a short time...

If it were me having to find a new home for a dog of mine - I would not be asking for money. I would be focused on the future of the dog and if the person that wanted them was able to care for them and provide for them properly.

I could sleep ok if I did not have a lot of money in my pocket. I would have trouble sleeping if some dog of mine was not being cared for and had to go without because the new owner was not able to care for them correctly.

Wish you the best of luck finding Axl a good home. Sorry that you had to make such a hard choice here...

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Who cares where he came from so long as he has a good home???

The last time I checked, This site does not care about that sort of stuff. People here care about the dog...

5. MeadowCat

I wasn't saying I cared where he came from, just that the breeder might not be helpful if they are less than reputable. Shanoa came from a BYB before I knew better; if I needed to find a new home for her I certainly would NOT call her "breeder." I was merely suggesting that a local Doberman rescue could be very helpful, especially since this is a puppy. Our rescue has a list of homes waiting for the right dog, already pre-screened and approved. As someone who's worked with rescues for over 10 years I wanted to make sure that was an option the OP considered.

• Like Like x 7
  6. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

You should not put yourself or your dog down because of where you bought them at. That is not the most important thing here.

You give Shanoa a good home and you care for her properly. The attention that you give her and the care that you provide her is what MAKES her a good dog. This has nothing to do with where she came from. It has everything to do with how you raise her and how you help her learn.

If I were in your shoes, I would be proud to have a dog like Shanoa and also proud that I gave her a good home with proper care.

7. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If I had to find Hans a new home, I would ask for money. And I would also contact his breeder. Actually, the breeder would probably be my first call. He promised to take the dog back any time for any reason when I bought him. Plus, he has people waiting for puppies that might love a grown dog just as much. If I returned a dog to its breeder, I would not ask for money. But if I tried to find a new home for a dog myself, I would ask for a significant amount of money as a part of my screening process for potential new owners.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MeadowCat

DG, I'm not putting myself or Shanoa down. On the other hand, I DO think it's important to educate people about what a backyard breeder is versus what a reputable breeder is, and why it is not a great idea to buy from a BYB. I think if you care about Dobermans as a breed you should also care about breeders, because it's BYB who are destroying Dobermans.

I'm not proud that I bought her from the person I did. I wish that I had done more research before I purchased. Do I regret supporting a BYB? Absolutely. Do I dwell on it? No. Shanoa is turning into a great dog, regardless of her start. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't care where a Doberman comes from. We should support ethical breeders who health test, who socialize their pups, who screen the homes where their dogs will be living, who actually care about the dogs, rather than the money.

Also, this really has nothing to do with the OP's thread. All I was trying to do is to point out the a Doberman Rescue can be helpful, and I hope the OP contacts a rescue local to them. If you want to talk about breeders you should start a new thread.

*******************edited as I simul-posted with Ingrid!******************

I agree 100%. A quality breeder would be my first call, because they would have homes screened and would care about the long term placement of their dogs. If I returned Shanoa to her breeder (assuming she'd actually take her back) she'd just resell her to whoever wanted her.

Also, Ingrid's 100% right about asking a rehoming fee. That's one way to help be sure that a new home is both serious and can actually afford the care of a dog. That's one of the first things you learn in rescue.

• Like Like x 6
  9. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

Being able to drop off a pile of cash does NOT mean that a person is able to properly care for a dog.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MeadowCat

DG, you seem really combative today...what's up?

It's certainly not a guarantee. But asking for a fee is *one step* towards screening a potential owner.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AxelRose

Thanks for all the input. I truly believe in a fee for any animal. This way I know my dog will not go to people who will use him as bait for fighting. It happens all the time. Or put the dog to use for puppy mill breeding. Nobody ever appreciates anything for free...! If u can't afford the price of a dog, how little or big the price, then u shouldn't have one. As for the breeder, I don't know who they are, as I said before I got the dog off a lady who got the dog off someone else. So I have no papers on him at all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MeadowCat

Can you let us know the general area where you are located? Even a state would be helpful :)

13. AxelRose

Hi.
    Axl is 14 weeks old. I am located in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. North end of the city. I do not know who the breeder is unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MeadowCat

Excellent! I'm sure everyone will help out as much as we are able. Anyone know rescues in that area that might be able to help out?

15. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I totally agree! And if I had to (God forbid!) sell a dog, I would be flexible on the price AFTER meeting potential buyers.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Will you be making sure Axl is neutered before going to a new home? No matter what the new owner says, they can easily just not neuter him- breed him or if he gets out of his yard he could increase the dog population, giving us even more unwanted dogs. I hope you set something up to make sure he will be neutered before going to his new home.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MeadowCat

Absolutely! Please, please do this. That will weed out a lot of unscrupulous people, too. If you can't afford that, if you surrender him to a rescue they will make sure he's neutered prior to going to a new home.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

First I am sorry that people find themselves in situations that means the dog has to go. That is what we are dealing with and need to stay focused on.

In my honest opinion if he is only 14 weeks he is too young to neuter. Not a good idea til at least 7 or 8 months. If there are no papers you will probably not even be able to recover the cost of the neutering if it were possible. Those are facts that need to be dealt with. So based on that I would contact a rescue as they will neuter him and you know that they will find him a good home. They have resources that you don't and they will screen the prospective family to makes sure he goes to a stable home. They will probably have a better chance placing him without papers also.

• Like Like x 5
  19. RedFawnRising

RedFawnRising Novitiate

Sorry, I just read this page of this thread. You want 650 for him but he isn't registered, isn't neutered and still needs more shots?

I think Doberman rescue might be a better plan for him than selling him. The rescues will find a home for him where they have done a home check and checked references. It is unlikely that a person who jumps through all the rescue red tape would be interested in fighting him so the less fee wouldn't become inportant.

• Like Like x 2
  20. csmith4242

csmith4242 Notable member

Except rescues are sometimes overburdened,but try them first.