1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Looking for new dog food. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Ilvmydobe, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Ilvmydobe

Ilvmydobe New Member

Hey everyone!
    I have had my girl on Royal Canin development puppy ( from our vet) since we got her at 11 weeks. She is now 6 months.
    I havent really been a fan of this food for many reasons ( soft stool, anal gland problems etc) but the vet keeps on insiating its the best.
    We want to switch her food but not sure which kind.
    Any recomendations?
    Thanks

2. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

Hey there. I always give this disclaimer: I'm a first-time owner, so I am only sharing what I've learned from others or sharing my limited experiences with my Jaxie so far.
    Having said that...I think you'll likely find that most here agree with you that RC is not your best option. The only time Jax has had that (and it worked perfectly) was when he needed the Rx cans for a temporary gastro issue. I think (am I right?) that it's a fairly pricey food, and you can do much better for the $.
    Lots of people seem to have great success with Taste of the Wild and Origin (those are definitely in my notes in the event that we need to change). I feed Victor Grain Free Active Dog All Life Stages (Damn, that's a mouth full!) We started that at just over 4 months, and Jax does really well on it...(Poops that make me proud and he seems to really enjoy the taste.)
    Generally, I think at your girl's age, most either switch to Large Breed Puppy or All Life Stages, and also that a good number of our dogs do best with grain free.
    For sure, the lose stools are gonna contribute to anal gland problems, and that is definitely something ya want to avoid!! GAG!
    Reminder: I am NEW and green in this world, so for sure wait for others to chime in!

• Like Like x 3
  3. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

We were feeding wellness complete health but also had soft stools. We're changing to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy. It's grain free. Wellness core also worked well for us until Nero stopped eating it. It is also grain free.

Pacific Stream Puppy® Formula with Smoked Salmon - Taste of the Wild Pet Food - Taste of the Wild Pet Food

Wellness CORE Dry Puppy Food | Puppy

If Nero had kept eating the Wellness core I would have stayed with that 100% because I really like the brand and ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

After long search we have our girl on Sportdog Food Elite Grain-free Whitefish which is an ALS. I am extremely impressed with the company - they make great quality foods at a very affordable price and its rated 4.5-5 stars on dogfood advisor. Its available only from the company site or Amazon. Both places offer incentives and auto-ship etc. Def check it out!

• Like Like x 2
  5. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I feed a raw diet to all my three :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Hello and welcome to Doberman Chat. :)
    I sure couldn't say what food is best for your dog but I wanted to share this, for you and anyone reading this who is not a member of the forum and sees the pop up adds that we members do not see.
    I present this screen shot.

image.jpg

Whatever you choose to feed your dog, Do Not! feed Purina Beneful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I saw that too, almost made me drop my tablet. Then I read through the replies and saw yours, and I did drop it. :wacky:

:dc: from Missouri!
    It's really hard to recommend a dog food. Not all foods or dogs are the same. What works for my dog, budget and lifestyle may never work for you.
    I will say I stay away from meat byproducts and a few other cheap fillers.
    In our case, my son's dog has developed a chicken allergy. She visits here a lot so I also avoid poultry. My son does bring her food with him but she is a brat and thinks whatever Drake has is better. Always trying to get his food. Geez....we have to be on our toes around here, she's sneaky! Oh well, I guess it is good practice for me cause I have a pup coming in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow x 1
  8. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the sound of that!

9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm sorry but why is your vet feeding this CRAP Royal Canine? Because he is making money from that company!!!!!!!!!! Sorry some Vets just piss me off!!!!!! Your Vet says its the best! Sorry he doesn't know what he is talking about!
    Most Vets know Crap about foods and . Only what is taught in Vet Schools by guess who? The big pet food companies like Royal Canine, Purina and all of the others!

And if this same vet gives yearly vaccinations I would look for another Vet.

Now that I'm a little calmer here is lots of other info besides of what other people have said.

The info below also goes for treats. Natural treats are very easy to make.

We feed a Raw Diet but this is what we tried to follow when we fed kibble.

Budget is going to be a deciding factor for people. I would also look for a smaller owner owned pet store that sells higher end foods. They will know more about different types (more than a Vet) and give you samples.

Each dog is different on what food they will Thrive on. You want especially puppies to thrive and not just maintain weight! But not get fat either. They are growing and need more and good named meat proteins. The best food might not work for every dog. Look for a Large Breed puppy food or All Life Stages one

Top of the line kibble foods right now are Champion foods Orijen, Acana. But Carna4, Fromm is good some of others.
    Dogfoodadvisor is very good place to start looking. Start with the 5 Star Rated ones.

Choices (a short list) are wide from feeding Raw, Home cooked Raw, Premade Raw, Dehydrated and Freeze Dried Raw, Canned, Kibble.

I always looked for a food that most of its proteins were from named meats and not plants. Especially in the first 5 ingredients. The farther you go down the list the less of that ingredient is in the food. Dogs are carnivores. At times they will eat plants, dirt and anything! Also a food that has the least amount of Carbohydrates in it. Carbs turn into sugars. Dogs and cats need meat and fats. The bad thing is that most kibbles even grain free ones will have carbs in them. Champion Foods Orijen has the lowest amount of Carbs in it.

Number one Stay away from any Corn, Wheat or Soy ingredients in any form. Any ingredients that says meat (well what kind), Fish Oil (again what kind), BHA, BHT (both are preservatives which can cause cancer), Ethoxyquin (usually used to preserve Fish Oil. And can cause cancer, which you will not know if used unless you call the company). No artificial coloring dyes like Yellow, Red or others. No unnamed fats. And these are just for starters!!!!!!!

Number two Stay away from any prescription foods diets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number three I would look on these sites and learn about foods and ingredients that you don't want to see in foods or treats.
    www.dogfoodadvisor.com
    www.dogfoodproject.com
    www.dogaware.com
    www.truthaboutpetfood.com
    www.b-naturals.com
    www.bestcatanddognutrition.com

Just take a look below at Royal Canine Developmental Large Breed Puppy Ingredients: And then Orijen Ingredients: Look at just the first 5 then 10 ingredients!
    Royal Canine Nutritional Info
    Ingredients
    1. Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn, Wheat Gluten, Brewers Rice, Barley, Wheat, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Vegetable Oil, Fish Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate, Psyllium Seed Husk, Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Trace Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate], L-Carnitine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid.
    Just a quick look at this food its at least 50% Carbs! Also for starters the ingredients in BOLD are some you don't want to see in foods or treats!

Orijen Large Breed Puppy Nutritional Info

Ingredients
    1. Deboned Chicken, Deboned Turkey, Yellowtail Flounder, Whole Eggs, Whole Atlantic Mackerel, Chicken Liver, Turkey Liver, Chicken Heart, Turkey Heart, Whole Atlantic Herring, Dehydrated Chicken, Dehydrated Turkey, Dehydrated Mackerel, Dehydrated Chicken Liver, Dehydrated Turkey Liver, Whole Green Peas, Whole Navy Beans, Red Lentils, Chicken Necks, Chicken Kidney, Pinto Beans, Chickpeas, Green Lentils, Alfalfa, Natural Chicken Flavor, Lentil Fiber, Herring Oil, Ground Chicken Bone, Chicken Cartilage, Chicken Fat, Turkey Cartilage, Dried Kelp, Freeze-Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze-Dried Turkey Liver, Whole Pumpkin, Whole Butternut Squash, Kale, Spinach, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, Whole Carrots, Apples, Pears, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Chicory Root, Turmeric, Sarsaparilla Root, Althea Root, Rosehips, Juniper Berries, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

So please read all this info and all the recommendations from other posts. Do your homework and become an advocate for your pet! Its great you came to this site and asked! Lots of pet owners don't know. As well as lots of us on this site don't know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

This is a great article that helps identify high quality foods. Someone mentioned price. That is certainly a factor with most of these foods. Chewy.com offers discounts for auto ship and free shipping over $50 (which most of these foods should easily reach). We tried several different foods with Rubie before settling on Annamaet Salcha. Good Luck!

Best Dog Food Reviews and Ratings of 2016 - Reviews.com

• Like Like x 1
  11. strykerdobe

12. strykerdobe

13. strykerdobe

14. strykerdobe

15. Ilvmydobe

Ilvmydobe New Member

16. Ilvmydobe

Ilvmydobe New Member

Thank you so much for all this information! I truly appriciate it!
    We went out and bought Bella a small bag of Acana Classic prairie. So far she likes it, so we will see the outcome in about a week.
    I took your advice and reallt took a good look at all the ingredients and this one seemed liek the best to start off with
    Thanks again :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. strykerdobe

Sorry I was right to the point at the beginning of my post! Wasn't mad at you! Like I said I get really upset at some Vets! This is a learning journey everyday! I learn something everyday on this journey! And do lots of research.
    Glad you got a lot better food. Try and do a slow transition to the new food. So not to cause upset.

The only other thing you have to continue doing is post more photos!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dawg 1419

Dawg 1419 Hot Topics Subscriber

We switched to an all life stage kibble. No more loose stools. Puppy food is to rich for our girl. Good luck

19. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Acana is a good food, but you want to be careful with feeding a Doberman a grain free diet. Dobermans are prone to Dilated and arrhythmic Cardiomyopathies and grain free diets have been linked to causing Cardiomyopathy due to Taurine deficiency. Granted diet related DCM has been more prevelent in other breeds like the Golden Retriever, but why risk it.

Also not sure if you know this, but Champion Petfoods who manufactures Acana and Orijen have a class action lawsuit against them for traces of the Euthanasia drug Sodium Penothal being found in their food.

I feed Fromm and have used Fromm Gold Adult for a while now and swear by it. I feed 50:50 Fromm:raw and love it. Highly recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C908

C908 Notable member

We also use Fromm Gold Adult, based on the recommendation of our breeder. She uses only Fromm and nothing else. We were introduced to Petflow.com , they have been great to do business with. We have ours set up on auto ship, makes it easy plus a discount with free shipping and no tax.