1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Looking for adult male rescue or re-home

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by SonLight, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SonLight

SonLight Member

Hi everyone! I thought I’d put a small post here as well. I mentioned in my introduction I was looking for a rescue/re-home. I am looking for an adult male. A short background on my home is that I have 3 older rescues (pug, toy poodle, and sheltie) and children ages almost 6 and up. I would like to start obedience with my dobe. If you know of any needing homes please let me know. I am near Kansas City but am willing to drive within a day in any direction. Thank you!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Beau'sMomma !

Beau'sMomma ! Notable member

what is your zip code. sorry dont mean to be nosey just found this site and it needs a zip code

• Like Like x 2
  3. SonLight

SonLight Member

Thank you! I can use all the help I can get. I sent a reply to your PM. It's my first one so wanted to post here to be sure you got it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Beau'sMomma !

yea sorry posted this andd then got your reply

• Like Like x 2
  5. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 4
  6. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Did you see Blazer @ KC Doberman Rescue? He looks like he would fit in nicely. Good with dogs, kids 6 and over and loves learning new things.
    http://kcdoberescue.com/

• Like Like x 5
  7. Beau'sMomma !

I sent her a PM with a link to Blazer :) and three more from rescues in the area

• Like Like x 4
  8. SonLight

SonLight Member

I just faxed my app to KC Dobe resuce! It's soooooo hard to wait! Please wish me luck!

• Like Like x 5
  9. eliza

eliza New Member

we had a blue with intact coat (3yrs old) at our rescue center, but luckily he found a new home!!! I will keep looking for you, but you can try Second chance Dobes if you are really into this breed...

• Like Like x 4
  10. SonLight

SonLight Member

Do they adopted around the Kansas City Area? I will check them out right now. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  11. eliza

eliza New Member

I think they have "satellites"all over....But if you are serious, and a good person , I would pay the fare myself to have one shipped to you (from MI).....with the economy in shambles, I see too many pets thrown out in the streets, or worse.....

• Like Like x 5
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh good luck! :fingersx: I hope it works out for you!

• Like Like x 2
  13. SonLight

SonLight Member

eliza, thanks for the info but I can't even apply to them due to this:

"NOT have any children under the age of 10 if applying for a male Doberman, or under the age of 5 if applying for a female, within your household"

• Like Like x 2
  14. SonLight

SonLight Member

Just thought I'd let you guys know the response I got from the KC Dobe rescue.....

Debbie
    I'm sorry we have no dogs that would do well in your circumstances. We really need a fenced yard and the chickens would be a problem .
    for KCDR
    Angus

So they have counted me out.....on paper. Ok. I can live with that. I am not even put on the waiting list. I wonder "where" they would like me to get my dog from?? Guess they have homes for all of the ones they have and that are coming in. I expected this but had to try :)

Back to the drawing board........

• Like Like x 2
  15. swiftK9s

swiftK9s Hot Topics Subscriber

Debbie, I know you are against putting up a fence and that is not up for discussion. I don't know your plans, but maybe if you could talk to a rescue and explain how you plan to deal with the situation it might help?

• Like Like x 4
  16. SonLight

SonLight Member

Thanks swiftK9s, I am a bit confused about the response.....as on their website it specically states not having a fence is NOT a deal breaker. I got this response a couple of hours after I faxed my app. No phone calls, no checking my references, just this two sentence denial. I should not have to BEG for a rescue :) If they don't want me there are many other places I can get a nice dobe. I wanted to help them but evidently they are not interested in getting that help. It's OK. I may have to rethinking my situation. If our sheltie passes before I find an adult dobe I will reconsider getting a puppy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm sorry to hear that, and I do know that's standard protocol for many rescues, so it might be a bit difficult unless you personally know someone from a rescue who knows how responsible you are and how you plan to handle things.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SonLight

SonLight Member

Yes, I know it is. The reason I put in my app with them is because it states on their website that not having a fence is NOT a deal breaker. They should revise that then so people without fences don't waste their time. I can't live with the stipulations....but don't use that against me if the website says it's not an issue.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm sorry to hear...we had to jump through hoops too when finding our girls. We just took our business elsewhere...sadly, some people don't have the patience for that and DO take their business elsewhere...right into the hands of a BYB.

• Like Like x 4
  20. SonLight

SonLight Member

Rits, yes you're right. I'm not giving up. Just have to rethink what will work. I wanted to be able to give an adult a good home...and I have contacted another rescue that does allow their dogs to be picked up from outside of their state. So we'll see. It's so hard to look at all the pictures of puppies too! I'm afraid if the weeks go by, spring hits and we loose our sheltie girl I will fall for a puppy. I will have a dobe at some point. I would rather have an adult that needs a home. But like you said, sometimes you just have to go elsewhere. I'm visiting my local dog club on Monday. I will meet many nice people there too.....so I will pick their brains and join their club as I do want to do obedience training at some point. So my options are open. IT"S JUST SO HARD TO WAIT! ;)

• Like Like x 4