Live To Bark Another Day: Firefighters Rescue Doberman From College Station House Fire

F

FredC

Zeus was on the living room couch when the fire broke out.

That's where firefighters found the unconscious, adult male Doberman when they entered a home in the 600 block of Hartford Drive off Victoria Road in College Station Friday and immediately provided him with oxygen.

Capture_02072014_132124.jpg

He was taken to the Wellborn Road Veterinary Medical Center for treatment for smoke inhalation and will remain there for at least one night, said Dr. Brittany Frank, the veterinarian on his case.

While Zeus has improved since arriving at the medical center and is able to walk on his own, Frank said he's not out of the woods yet.

He has signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, is receiving oxygen through a tube in his nose, is taking pain medication and was given plenty of fluids to combat shock, Frank said.

First responders were called to the scene at 1:20 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from a front room in the home.

No one was inside at the time except for Zeus.

Capture_02072014_131515.jpg

Firefighters had the fire under control by 2 p.m. and were able to contain the fire damage to the master bedroom and the attic space above the room, according to a press release from the College Station Fire Department. There was smoke damage throughout the home, however, displacing three roommates.

While it's believed that the fire started in the master bedroom, College Station fire marshals are investigating what caused it.

As for Zeus, Frank described him as a "sweetheart" who has been very well-behaved. He will be monitored for infections and will slowly be weaned off oxygen over the next few days.

"Kudos to firefighters for getting oxygen on Zeus right way," Frank said. "That makes a huge difference."

-----------------------------------------
SOURCE: http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_ed596c2d-24df-56e3-833f-ba78845090d6.html
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:00 am
By ANDREA SALAZAR
[email protected]

ok.. this brought tears to my eyes.. One of my biggest fears is something happening to the dogs when I'm not home. I know, we can only protect them so much. But, we've had a bunch of break in's around my neighborhood lately and it just scares the crap out of me, that someone will brake in and hurt the dogs...

ok.. this brought tears to my eyes.. One of my biggest fears is something happening to the dogs when I'm not home. I know, we can only protect them so much. But, we've had a bunch of break in's around my neighborhood lately and it just scares the crap out of me, that someone will brake in and hurt the dogs...
That's one of my greatest fears as well. Thank goodness the firefighters were fast acting to save the poor guy.

OMG! Totally brought tears to my eyes as well, but I don't know what has me more teary; thinking about my dogs helpless in a situation like that, or the effort the FD took in rescuing that sweet boy. Feel like sending them a thank you card. Now there's a hero!

I just noticed and think its awesome that, that particular Fire Department had the K9 o2 Masks..
I noticed that too!! Well done College Station!!

That's one of my greatest fears as well
Me three!! Scary!

Me too,both the tears and worry.We've had a big spike in petty theft,breaking and entering,and vehicle theft here since November.
However,I'm not so much worried about someone breaking in and hurting the dogs.
Kind of the opposite.
I'm worried someone breaks in(or tries) and my dogs rip ass,then I get sued over it.
I'm 99% sure Daisy will engage an intruder.

Me too,both the tears and worry.We've had a big spike in petty theft,breaking and entering,and vehicle theft here since November.
Kind of the opposite.
I'm worried someone breaks in(or tries) and my dogs rip ass,then I get sued over it.
Mars Would Definitely engage an intruder and i'm certain once he starts in pack mentality would kick in and Kali would also engage.. Not sure about Demi, Interestingly enough she is my most fearless dog yet the most harmless to.. I guess its a confidence thing..

Mars Would Definitely engage an intruder and i'm certain once he starts in pack mentality would kick in and Kali would also engage.. Not sure about Demi, Interestingly enough she is my most fearless dog yet the most harmless to.. I guess its a confidence thing..
I'm hoping that pack mentality would kick in for Rocky too.He's just a dorky goofball puppy and so far has been friendly with every human he's met since being here.

JerseyFirefighter
Out of curiosity,what if any other K-9 specific equipment do you guys carry?

I'm hoping that pack mentality would kick in for Rocky too.He's just a dorky goofball puppy and so far has been friendly with every human he's met since being here.

JerseyFirefighter
Out of curiosity,what if any other K-9 specific equipment do you guys carry?

Nothing really k9 specific aside from the masks. Our dept is heavy on rope rescue training/systems so we can really do any type of rescue/retrieval by tieing our own custom harnesses with nylon webbing. The only other thing closest to k9 specific would be a catch pole my old company acquired because a pup kept backing down a drainage pipe the closer our guys got.

Since I just strolled into work id figure id share the sticker that came with the new order of masks we just got to replace both used or old ones. :D

64D0S7M.jpeg

So I reckon this could be a good place to share my favorite dog/fire story... Got hit out to a kitchen fire one morning, and this one was kinda memorable considering we had just put a loaner truck in service that was used in filming the "Rescue Me" series...When we made entry into the house, we doused a fire that had burnt the upper cabinets and the soffits. The smoke condition was not as bad as most, considering it only involved wood products not plastic (plastics = more black smoke). Kitchen to our left, family room to our right.. And what do we find in the family room as the fire is rolling from under the soffits is the family's golden retriever laying down, wagging his tail, and chewing on a dvd case. It turns out the family left a pizza box on the stove, and puppy wanted a snack. He hit the burner on the stove, which lit the pizza box in turn spread to the cabinets. Usually when you find a pet, it's either running out the door as soon as its opened, or cowering in a corner/under bed, etc.... But this little guy I guess knew he was in trouble, but enjoying the show otherwise.

Luckily the son came home from dropping his sibling off at school to find the fire as early as he did, or else this story would have been a bit more tragic. Thankfully the damage was minimal as house fires go, and the dog got to live to chew another dvd case. :D

Kind of the opposite.

Gelcoator-

In Ga. our laws have been changed. If a dog bites a person 'on your property', the tough crap for the person. They shouldn't have been on/in the yard or house. Now, I'm not saying, the dog can be in the front yard off leash and bite someone that is walking up your driveway to sell you something. But, if a person brakes into the house or climbs over the fence and the dog bites them, then the dog is now OK.

Ga. might not be able to predict the weather, but, at least they finally got that right!

Back