Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Litter mate syndrome and same sex aggression

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by dogpack, Feb 21, 2013.

1. dogpack

dogpack Jr Member

Currently I am raising 2 brothers. They are 4 months old. I have researched and researched until my brain was moosh.

We crate them in different rooms for sleep/naps, feed them in different rooms, train them seperately, walk them seperately, etc.

They are allowed 3-4 hrs a day to interact with each other. The rest of the time is with us.

Any additional info anyone can provide?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like you are working really hard. The problem is when they start to reach maturity at 18 to 24 months - that is the game changer. For now you most likely will not have many challenges but it is good thatyou recognize the importance of separate activities so they do bond with you and not just each other.

By training them each you have a much better handle on control and authority. Some dogs (same sex) live together without a problem but ifone is very dominant or has a touch of dog aggression then that is when you will have a problem. Almost all puppies get along so don't take a false sense of security.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Yeah, personally I would never leave them unattended together once they reach sexually maturity. Same sex aggression is very common with dobes and I think having littermates makes it even more dangerous. I have a brother and a sister who are littermates...and they still have some rivarly just because they are littermates and it creates a whole addition dynamic to the relationship. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by bonding with each one separately and keeping them apart quite often. However both of them being males worries me for when they get older....

• Like Like x 4
  4. dogpack

dogpack Jr Member

They are never left unattended. I have heard way too many horror stories!

I'm glad to hear we are on the right track. I'm always open to suggestions, so anyone who has any more, fire away!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Glad you did your research before taking on two male littermates :) Sounds like you are on the right track for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

Well my two boys have been together since I brought the younger one home and it works for me. They are both sexually mature and still get along great! I know people have had problems with any combination of sexes so I really think a lot of it is your place in the pack which of course is leader and also the personality of the two dobermens! I was an only child raised with dogs and we almost always had two intact males! Although I not touting or recommending the combination ...I just want to give you hope that it will most likely be fine..although I have never raised littermates at the same time. Mine have been varying ages so this might make a difference! I think if you separate too much you might cause a problem but that's just MHO on that one and it's certainly not what I would do except of course I would train separately ...lol there is no way to train two at once lol unless you happen to have four or more arms :confused: I wish you very good luck with them and would sure like to see lots and lots of pictures of them growing up! :D Here's a pic of my two guys
    These two do everything together and they are never separated ( It may be an exception rather than the rule but they are great pals :D )
    doberchat.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

My parents also had two male intact Dobermans at the same time. Similar to Max Hawk, my parents Dobes were a year apart and from different litters. They did not intend to end up with this but they rescued the younger male. Those two never had problems. They were always together.

I have heard plenty of horror stories though so if it were me I would air on the side of caution as if it was a rule they would not get along .....to be safe until you are certain past sexual maturity otherwise.

Hoping they becomes best buds though :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Max Hawk

My husband and I were just talking about incidents we have heard of and all of the horror stories we have known of have been littermates!!
    Wow even one time when his dad had a male and female from the same litter. The male ended up klling the female dog! That's an eye opener! :confused: I still know that a lot of it is personality profile of the two pups! Just as some human siblings get along wonderfully and some don't :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I have littermates, opposite sex.

There are not enough hours in the day. This is a lot to handle, and normally I wouldn't suggest this but if you could exchange one for a female that would improve your chances astronomically.

Not many people have attempted male littermates for a reason. It is just to much.

Your guaranteed to struggle with littermates, and your very likely to have male on male aggression.

Individually these things can be managed well with work, but I honestly just don't know with all of this together.

Think long and hard on going through with this.

If you decide to follow through I will help you and support you as much as I possibly can. I will also respect your decision. I took a lot of grief over getting littermates so I know what it is like getting slammed all at once. I just want you to know those are not my intentions, I just want to make sure you are fully prepared for this. We all just want what is best for you and your new pups.

Either way. Pictures. And now!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

Yesss I second this! Pictures!!!!

11. dogpack

dogpack Jr Member

Honestly, exchanging or rehoming one of my boys is just not an option. My husband and I spoke long and hard about our choices before we made them, as Hades was my pick puppy, and as for Phoenix, my husband believes his mother (our Ava) has carried on in spirit through him (some think that's silly, but hey...).

I also believe, once you make a decision like this, you've made it for life. They are a part of our family, just like myself, my husband, our children.

That being said, I don't expect it to be easy. I separate them the way I do because they are littermates. I want them to bond with me, yet accept each other. Not the other way around.

Once they are past the point of that, then they can spend more time together. I have never left 2 dogs alone unsupervised, and won't with them either, but they can spend more time together.

I've dealt with DA dogs in the past, and yes, it was alot of work, but we managed. I'm hoping we won't have to go down that route again, but I am being realistic and preparing for it.

I'm sorry if that's not the answer your looking for, but I'm confident I can make it work. I'm not new to dogs, or Dobes, or DA. But I am ALWAYS willing to learn and share.

I uploaded some pics to the thread "My Boys" but will get more up soon.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MicheleM

MicheleM Active Member

Great comment Maureen. I thought of you and Gino's mom having two males living together in harmony. It does work although I haven't had that luxury. The only time I've had two males was years ago when I also had a female. Maybe if Jasper the female wasn't living with us that might have changed the dimensions. I often wonder about that. Fantastic photo, Wow, love it!

I have two females living together now and have never had a fight, but I know what to watch for before things escalate. I think females are far worse than males when it comes to same sex

• Like Like x 1
  13. MicheleM

MicheleM Active Member

Congrats on having two beautiful boys and having the right mindset on giving these guys a good life. Take them to classes, give them guidance, exercise and love. Your boys will continue to grow until they are four years old and there is nothing more powerful than a male Doberman. Give your boys rules and guidelines now so you don't run Into major problems down the road. I wouldnt leave toys or bones laying around as it might be a catalyst to a possible fight.

Males always have a soft spot in my heart. They are always the lovers

• Like Like x 2
  14. Max Hawk

I have great hopes for you that it will work! Like I said I have heard bad things about littler mates but not just two males! I love having my two boys and I would like to always have two boys together! LOL as Michele says and she's sounds like we are of the same mind the boys are the lovers and you get really attached to them :love: They suit my personality the best,I know that :bump:but all dobermans are aces in my book lol the best breed bar none male or female :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Madison Thomas

Madison Thomas New Member

Hello! I know this post is old now but my family is currently taking on 2 male littermates as well and I’m just wondering how the situation played out for you and if you have any advice on raising the two boys? thanks so much!

16. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Sorry, but the OP hasn't been here in years. I would have been curious how they made out after all these years too.