Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Limp on hind leg. Possible panosteitis?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Genta, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Hi my 7 month old dobe is having a limp on one of his hind leg. It appeared three days ago and his personality was a little bit lethargic but he was still eating good so I didn’t put that much thought into it since he did have a limp on his front leg a month ago and it passed with no difficulties. But differing from his past limp, he seemed to be in pain from this one. I could observe that he was avoiding having to use that leg and it was just so painful to watch. The last time he had it, he showed no inclination to pain. Weirdly enough, on his second day the limp seem to have gone, he was not in pain and his personality was backed on but on the third day it was back again and seems to be more painful. I checked for his paw and there was nothing. When I grabbed his leg he tried to pull it back but when I squeezed to see if any of the part hurt he didn’t yelp or show any sign of pain. He also didn’t react when I stretched his leg to the full length. Also don’t know if this would be any help but mu dobe is a minimalist eater and the week before the limp he was eating so well (5-6 cups of kibble per day) but it started to regress to 3 cups for the first day of the limp and barely 2 cups on the second day (side note usually he eats 3-6 cups) but he did eat 3 cups on the third day of the limp. He is pooping normally. His tongue, gum, eyes and nose looks good. I am going to observe for a whole week now and if it doesn’t let up then I’m going to bring him to the vet. Btw any tips to check on dogs health at home? Besides the tongue, gum, eye colour and nose dampness.

ps. sorry if I made any grammar mistakes pr my words are jumbled. I’m writing this half asleep. Enjoy the picture of Noya munching on a bone

Attached Files:

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Handsome boy!

From the sounds of it, it could very well be Pano and apparently that's something that can come and go. Thankfully we've never dealt with it (KOW) but I think sometimes it can be food related.

3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

If you are sure that he didn’t injure himself during exercise, then I’d start to think it was pano. Not sure if a vet can do anything other than rule out some other physical injury, but the shifting lameness seems to be the surest sign of pano. It is self-limiting, so encourage him to rest (hard to do with a puppy!) when you see the limp. What are you feeding him? Should be a non-puppy kibble with a protein percent less than 30. Anything higher causes quicker than normal growth in an already fast-growing dog. Kaiser had his one and only episode at 6 months when we switched to raw and it never came back. It is said that pano comes back randomly until growth in done around 2 years old.

4. Genta

Genta Jr Member

I’ve been feeding him royal canin maxi puppy (30% protein) mixed with raw. Although he had some allergic reaction to some of the raw ingredients (he have been fed royal canin since he started eating and showed no reaction) so I had to treat the allergy by making it 100% kibble diet (on vet’s order). I will start mixing raw again and see which ones he has allergic reaction soo (1 more week preferably).

5. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Raw and kibble should supposedly be fed/eaten in separate meals to ease digestion.
    Noya is beautiful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Do you mean like if I’m giving him raw then 100% raw diet? Or like if I’m feeding raw in the morning don’t mix with kibble but then I can feed kibble for the evening?

btw Noya said thank youu

7. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Right, don't mix raw in with the kibble because it digests differently.
    I feed 100% raw breakfast, then approximately 5 hours later a smaller kibble meal in the afternoon and another kibble meal at dinner. I like to divide the kibble in two meals to prevent bloat and also don't let him run for an hour after the meal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Genta

Genta Jr Member

@AnnV thank you for the tips will implement it on Noya

9. Genta

Genta Jr Member

Update he is limp free. He didn’t get better till the last day of the first week but now at 2 weeks he us walking normally

• Like Like x 4
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's great news!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1